12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

mid - surface fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was reading a thread here in AQ and found out there are fishes that dwell at different depths of the tank? If so, what are the fishes that dwell between mid - surface? I have some platys in my tank and have seen them working through the entire tank, so I assume they don't have much preference? What about neon tetras and cardinals?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: mid - surface fishes

Neon Tetras, Cardinals, are mid-water swimmers that occasionally stay near the bottom zone. For mid to surface dwellers, you are looking at Danios mostly.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Going to re-visit this thread. What danios in particular? I recently gotten myself some galaxies but they more often than not stay at the bottom where shade/shelter is most abundant.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

There are many types of danios, with the most common being leopard danios and zebra danios, these are mid-water swimmers. I use to have some chela dadiburjori that stayed near the surface too, but i dont think those are available currently. Otherwise, you can consider hatchetfish, butterfly fish (these are not small fish) and half beaks.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just did a google on those fishes you mentioned. Well, the tank even though mine is subjected to "criticism" of my family for some "ugly" fishes I have in it - one of them being the rosy barb and the dwarf rainbowfish.

Thanks for the suggestions! Guess I might have to live with it, and probably might be a good thing since the surface dwellers might actually start nipping on my frogbits.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Danio choprai would be a splendid addition. They're pretty beautiful actually. I don't normally see them these days anymore but worth looking around for.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did a search and yes, it seems like they are beautiful! Just in case anyone is wondering the street name for these fishes, it is glowlight danio or copper danio.