Singapore

CNY Happiness!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wanted to share my joy..!

Attachment 28224

Born today! On CNY.. A tiny Corydoras Hastatus fry! I was probably too late in realising my cories spawned and the end result was a grand total of 1 egg, which I removed from the main tank a few days ago. Luckily, there wasn't any fungal infection (thanks to PetFran's External Bacterial & Fungal Defense). Now.. If only the LFSes were open.. I really need to get Liquifry!! This little cat is even smaller than my newborn guppy fry! I'm not sure the Hikari First Bites powder is even small enough.
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CNY Happiness!!

congrates on your spawn!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yay! Thanks! I just spotted another few eggs on my eheim inlet. Had to shutdown my filter before attempting to move the eggs!
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

First Bites should be sufficient. Mix in a small cup of water then pour in. You should always have Sera Micron on hand for super tiny fry, or green water at least. Worst come to worst, use egg yolk. A little bit pressed in a handkerchief to make a suspension will be good. Just siphon out the uneaten bits.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I never expected the Hastatus to spawn, and hence was totally unprepared. And with the CNY celebrations, all the LFS were closed. I'll be sure to keep a lookout for Sera Micron the next time I get to an LFS then.. Is that a better alternative to Liquifry?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Micron is basically powdered flake, which should suit the fry better once it has been premixed in a cup of water. Liquifry is not meant to feed the fry directly, but rather to contribute to the growth of infusoria in the tank. I believe that Liquifry contains a portion of powdered egg yolk, even if it's not listed in the ingredients. The use of microworms can be a good alternative if you don't mind sub-culturing them every week or so, because in our climate, the microworm growth is explosive.

Another thing to take note of, is that in some containers, a growth of bacterial film on the surfaces, can kill your hastatus fry since they normally hug the bottom during the fry stage. So it's best to use aged containers that have been established beforehand with snails in them. The snails normally clear this film and after that it's safe for the fry. This is also why most people tend to keep the fry in the same tank as the parents and let them grow out in there.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    First Bites should be sufficient. Mix in a small cup of water then pour in. You should always have Sera Micron on hand for super tiny fry, or green water at least. Worst come to worst, use egg yolk. A little bit pressed in a handkerchief to make a suspension will be good. Just siphon out the uneaten bits.
    Is Sera Micron available in our local LFS?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, but keep it in an airtight container. The cylindrical container it comes with does not prevent moisture from seeping in. Over time if it is not kept dry the food will clump up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    Is that a better alternative to Liquifry?
    Micron & Liquidfry are both good starters. Alternatively, in the grow-out container, spread a layer of unwashed substrate from your hastatus tank, a few small ramshorn snails, plus a generous clump of moss or other fine-leaved plant, and gently net the little bugger over. Very gentle aeration but that's optional and refrain disturbance (mainly from you ).

Congrats, good luck and keep us posted.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

As per what has been suggested..

Attachment 28258

A very thin layer of soil from the main tank, some java moss + detritus and light aeration. Don't have any MTS/Ramshorn in my tanks presently..

There's currently 6 eggs in the tank and 2 newborns thus far. Alot more eggs in the main tank, but I think I'll leave them in there. It does not look like the adults will eat the eggs and I'd rather test and see if the yound survives a colony style setup instead of having to resort to human intervention in removing the eggs and taking care of the young artificially. The ones that have already been removed are somewhat of a litmus test on my husbandry skills + I really want to see them grow up everyday and note the changes in their patterning and size.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This works, though you might want to get a small sponge filter for this nursery tank. In tanks of this size, it's easy to feed the fry and observe them, but the problem is that you must be dilligent with the water changes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

...some java moss + detritus and light aeration. Don't have any MTS/Ramshorn in my tanks presently..
    Detritus is good. Moss not enough and please, NO MTS!!! These suckers have eggs for snacks!!! If you feel a need to add something, try 4mm sized shrimplets!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This works, though you might want to get a small sponge filter for this nursery tank. In tanks of this size, it's easy to feed the fry and observe them, but the problem is that you must be dilligent with the water changes.
    I don't think I'll ever find a sponge that small. This tank is one of those small, palm sized tanks which was bought for my wife's office table as a pico shrimp tank. In any case, due to its small size, I should have no issues with regular WC.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I found a midget GEX box filter that can be used in a modified manner in this situation, but I'm not sure if C328 still has them.

http://theaquaticgazette.com/2011/06...oy-comparison/

It's the smallest one in the picture. There is a sponge filter sold by UP brand which is fairly small by itself.

http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00dm_sponge-new.jpg

The smallest model in the image. The Roka Boy Compact is much more smaller. I used to use this UP filter in the smallest plastic tanks to raise my fry.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Detritus is good. Moss not enough and please, NO MTS!!! These suckers have eggs for snacks!!! If you feel a need to add something, try 4mm sized shrimplets!!
    Ahh good! I never liked MTS anyway, just thought about it because some people advocate for them to be put in cory tanks to "loosen the substrate". I never really found the need. Anyway, I think I'll stay away from snails altogether, unless there's a compelling reason to put some Ramshorn in. Do enlighten me on this respect.

Also, point noted on the moss. I'll be moving more java moss and detritus over from the main tank then.

The newborn fries are still pretty much hugging the bottom. Not even sure they are foraging for food. Is that the usual? I keep worrying that any newborn fry in the main tank will get sucked into the filter due to the strong current in there. Do you think it'll be better that I remove the eggs from the main tank and place them in this makeshift ursery? Or, are the newborn fries clever enough to hide out in the main tank against all odds?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I found a midget GEX box filter that can be used in a modified manner in this situation, but I'm not sure if C328 still has them.

http://theaquaticgazette.com/2011/06...oy-comparison/

It's the smallest one in the picture. There is a sponge filter sold by UP brand which is fairly small by itself.

http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00dm_sponge-new.jpg

The smallest model in the image. The Roka Boy Compact is much more smaller. I used to use this UP filter in the smallest plastic tanks to raise my fry.
    I do possess the smallest of the Roka Boy range box filters and whilst it should fit into this nursery, it would easily take up half the space within the tank. I think my primary problem now is upgrading this nursery to a much larger tank instead. Haha.. I'm in so much trouble with tank space!! My 5 day old guppy fries are currently populating the 20cm cube that I usually use for fry raising.. Hrm.. I'll have to think of something.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You will definitely need more space as the fry grow larger. For the time being you don't have to do anything but you must upgrade to a larger tank with at least some form of filtration. You can opt to keep the guppy fry in a breeder net, and let the hastatus fry grow in the cube itself, or rely on a plastic tank to raise the hastatus fry in. I remember Ron raised his fry in styrofoam fruit boxes with no filtration but a lot of mosses and regular water changes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I remember Ron raised his fry in styrofoam fruit boxes with no filtration....
    SSSsssshhhh.... you're making me look cheap!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha..! He's got good hands for aquarium fauna, which explains his knack for breeding cories of all species! I'll have to stick to the usual, ordinary man's methods. Going to shift the guppies to a large pail tonight and move the C. Hastatus fry into the 20cm cube. By the way, Ron.. If you ever get your hands on those C. Gracilis (I have been monitoring the other thread VERY closely!!), do let me know! I want a piece of that action too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

...which explains his knack for breeding cories of all species!
    eh Dennis, don't flatter me. There are still many cories out there that I've not tried. I would love to get my hands on some gracilis (will give you a shout if that ever happens) but until such time, I'll keep busy with what's in hand, including the eques, robinea and Green Laser. BTW, I've got a tank that's literally coated with pygmaeus eggs... danged... now I don't have enough tanks!!!!

In any case, update us on your progress with the hastatus fry. Handling them is a good learning curve and applicable technique for most cories.
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast