Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

Fry of Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    First real success (so far) breeding tetras.

I tried Hyphessobrycon rosaceus but the eggs fungused no matter what I did. Then I tried H. herbertaxelrodi and wuhu! Fry!

Several hundred in a 16 litre tank. They're small, but I managed to take a photo of one near the front glass. Look at the glass frame, around mid-pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fry of Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi

I see the one in the photo, was hard to spot but it's there. Congratulations Kim. I never could spawn tetras successfully, not in a community setting.

Do you intend to try serpae tetras sometime?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

Thanks Stormhawk

I think they need a speciel setup for breeding if you want to see more than one or two odd fry once in a while.

I intend to try a lot of different ones....going to Germany this weekend to exchange Corys with people from Germany, Austria etc., and will stop by some places to look for rarities as well.

I have raised hundreds of Black neons many times over the years. In fact, they were one of the first Tetras I bred. I had set up some Glow Light Tetras and did not think they had spawned so I took them out and replaced them with Black Neons. Several days later I discovered I had both. Some newly hatch Black Neons can take newly hatched brine shrimp(bbs) right away as their larvae have relatively large mouths for such a small size. But it will give you better numbers if you can feed the fry infusoria for a few days and gradually introduce the bbs.
    Rosy tetra are much harder to breed. I think Black Neons are a very good choice for the first Tetra to breed and it is really cool when you breed them then keep a display of 50 or more. I usually buy a pair or trio when i want to set up a large display. I breed the pair or trio and within a few months I have all the Black Neons I could ever want. One time I placed a spawn in a heated out door pool after they had taken on their normal Tetra looks. They grew well outdoors and in the morning the pool received direct sunlight. I loved to see them flash in the sunlight when they took flake foods from the surface.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

Thanks Larry, much appreciated info I will try to have some infusoria ready for next time!

Found some tetra in Germany I took home to try; Trochilocharax ornatus, Hyphessobrycon loretoensis and Axelrodia reisei

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Kim,

Seems like you've had a great time in Germany and nice list of tetras you brought back. I assume you must be as happy as a lark!

In any case, have you seen any Nematobrycon sp. or Inpaichthys kerri during your visit to Germany?
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

Yes...it was great! I found some Aspidoras depinnai in Ingo Seidels tanks I've been looking for those for years since I lost my prior group.

Also brought back C53, Aspidoras poecilus, additional boesemani and CW22 for my groups and youngsters of a new Corydoras from the Rio Madeira basin that hasn'e even got a C-or CW number yet

I saw both N. palmeri and I. kerri but a friend of mine breeds both so we have plenty around here

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From my knowledge, Rio Madeira basin is home to several Cory species, some remain new to Science IMO.

Some species I have in mind include Corydoras similis, Corydoras cruziensis and C75?? to name a few, so what is the new Cory species of Rio Madeira you acquired, going to be named in the future? Corydoras taxa is comprehensive nonetheless as I find.

Back to the topic, as for the species, Nematobrycon lacortei, do you have any friends keeping or actively breeding them at the moment? I have no idea why I can't see any of them in Singapore but I think someone mentioned about their presence several years ago.

Jianyang, as for tetras, I think they are not that difficult, but they require a large tank for a school and if you are unintentional on breeding them, just a couple of odd fry, lots of plants in your community tank, might do the trick.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Xuan View Post
    From my knowledge, Rio Madeira basin is home to several Cory species, some remain new to Science IMO.

Some species I have in mind include Corydoras similis, Corydoras cruziensis and C75?? to name a few, so what is the new Cory species of Rio Madeira you acquired, going to be named in the future? Corydoras taxa is comprehensive nonetheless as I find.
    This one is definately new. None of the other Madeira species have a look like this as far as I know. Zygatus-like but more dusty grey. Mine are still juveniles and does not have their full colour yet. I have discussed it with Ian Fuller and it might recieve a CW-number for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Xuan View Post
    Back to the topic, as for the species, Nematobrycon lacortei, do you have any friends keeping or actively breeding them at the moment? I have no idea why I can't see any of them in Singapore but I think someone mentioned about their presence several years ago.

Jianyang, as for tetras, I think they are not that difficult, but they require a large tank for a school and if you are unintentional on breeding them, just a couple of odd fry, lots of plants in your community tank, might do the trick.
    I don't know anyone keeping lacortei, but a shop some 100 kolimetres from me has them in stock and I've thought of making the trip to get some. They are not often seen here.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Shi Xuan,

I'm not much of a tetra person but then again, I never intended to spawn them in the first place, so I stick to easily available species like Cardinals and Neons for my tanks. That way it doesn't really matter if I breed them or not. I'm also looking for N. lacortei but they are damn rare. Only saw once at C328 and never again.

However, there was a batch of N. amphiloxus, the Black Emperor, recently at C328. I just saw them on my last visit a few days ago.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.