Why SAE die

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    PH 7 to 7.4
    KH 4
    Water temperture - 26 to 28 degree

I bought small 10 SAE five months ago, two days ago left 1 has grown to 4 cm long. Very nice and hard working. Died two days ago jumped out of the tank. No more SAE in my tank so I bought 7 small SAE. All die within 3 days. The rest of my fish & yamato are OK. Anyone tell me why like that? My water condition is not suitable for SAE or the SAE I bought from LFS got..........

Are they a good jump? What cause them to jump?

Florida flag fish can keep together with tetra, yamato, puffer, oto & SAE?

Please help

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

SAE jumping

Hi,

You might need to povide us with more details such as NO2, NO3, PO4 and NH4 quantity. As far as my understanding can reach, it is usually because of a predetor or the water condition is not right for them therefore they jump in a leap of faith. Have you bought them and just put them straight into the tank without going through the floating and climatizing them?
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score

Re: SAE jumping

[quote:e383801fc5="Sleepy_lancs"]Hi,

You might need to povide us with more details such as NO2, NO3, PO4 and NH4 quantity. As far as my understanding can reach, it is usually because of a predetor or the water condition is not right for them therefore they jump in a leap of faith. Have you bought them and just put them straight into the tank without going through the floating and climatizing them?[/quote:e383801fc5]

I did not put them straight into the tank. Maybe you are right. My CAE is very aggressive but I never see SAE got attack but my two poor ram with long fin. NO2 & NO3 indicate from sera test kit which is 1st colour on the left side. I don,t see any problem with my water condition. I think CAS is the murderer and I caught it out of my tank already. How about small puffer & florida flag fish. So far I see puffer are quite friendly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: SAE jumping

Puffers will be great against snails but what happens after snails are gone no one can tell. Anyway, Puffers don't belong to planted tanks IMO. Flag fishes should be okay.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    New fishes tend to be more skirtish , stressful and more prone to sickness/death than any other fishes that has been in the tank. I've more fishes that went to fishy heaven by jumping out than illness.

Easily 10-20 pencil fish can jump out in a matter of 3 days and 5-7 peices of hatchet will jump out.

I'm not trying to imply that your SAE are as skirtish as my pencils or hatchet but have you test your temperature in your tank? Too cold and the fishes will jump .

In the morning when i wake up, i peer into my tank without the lights on and cough onto the tank. The vibration that bounce towards the glass and some into the tank from the surface of the water causes some pencils and copellas' to jump which create an unstable state of shock for the fishes inside. When one jump , others start jumping too.

Sound travel 6 times faster in water than on land.

Just my 2cts worth.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Before I buy flag fish from LFS, I saw it with my own eye flag fish attack other fish. Flag fish is not easy to find so I bought one home and put in other tank to observe. I put together with mini puffer & CAS. So far I see flag fish is not attacking them. Don,t understand why. Being observe them for 3 days. If flag fish is still in good attitude, I going to put him into my plant tank. Hope that don,t attack my green tetra, oto, SAE, ram, yamato, etc.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What is dangerous is usually after the lights are out.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    benetay, you are right and tell me your experience. This month is quite windy. My tank temperture is not less than 26 degree. Recently I watch DVD don,t no my fish got disturb or not.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:2407692a69="benetay"]What is dangerous is usually after the lights are out.[/quote:2407692a69]

Sorry I don,t get you what you say.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Death after darkness

What he is trying to tell you is that when the lights goes out. Predetors hunt food. Which is normal. Which means your flag fish might kill your livestock when the lights go out.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When the tank's light is out, this is where most of the fish should be going into a state of rest. Noise and exterior disturbance will incur in stressing the fish .

I'm not your fish, all i can tell you is by guessing the possibilities which happen to my tank.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    My small tank got no light. I did check in the midnight, flag fish sleeping

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it isn't your fishes and it isn't your water than what could have cause it? maybe someone more experience can shed some light into this.
    Cheers!

Benetay