As noted in this article and belatedly in the Singapore Straits Times, a creature with an unhomely name and even less pleasing looks is offering science insight into human physiology and medical treatment. One wonders what further lessons can man draw on his fellow travellers on this lonely planet?

Sometimes we hear people saying, "what's the use of this creature or plant?" especially of lowly and unpleasant looking creations which seem to have little to offer to mankind. News from the world of biological research, bio-engineering and medicine, however, suggests, that creatures from flatworms and geckos to cockroaches and Antarctic icefish are giving man new inspiration and discoveries with widespread application in industry and human welfare. And this doesn't even include the countless plant and fungi species which contribute complex chemical compounds (which laboratories cannot synthetise) which serve as food, medicine, lubricants and building material for our comfort.

I hesitate to link the value of a species (and the entire spectrum of the world's biodiversity) with their "value" to mankind, but I begin this Aquatic Quotient sub-forum (with thanks to the admin team for opening it) on Nature, Biodiversity and Conservation with the hope that this way of looking at the "utility" of biodiversity will lead many to grow further in understanding and appreciation of the intrinsic worth of the world's infitinitude of species.

It is the moderators' hope that the aquarists who share such keen passion in their pets and plants will cultivate a similar regard for the larger ecology, welfare and sustainability of all these species which give us joy, both in our homes and in their wild habitats. We hope to post more news, articles, links, and initiate discussions on this topic, and also welcome your thoughts, experiences and observations.

I realise this issue can prove to be controversial, and opinions expressed may be strong, if not forceful. But as long as debates stick to the presentation and defence of one's beliefs and points, without ad hominem (i.e. personal attacks) and abusive or derogatory comments, all manner of views are sought, and everybody is free to draw their own conclusion.