3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ferns Keep turning Brown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i am new to plants. Recently set up a low tech planted tank for my apistogramma.

However less than 1 month, my plants starts to turn brown.

tank size: 24inch(L) X 10inch(B)x 11inch(H)
    Gravel : Sudo sand mixed with ADA amazonia
    plant: Windolov(tied onto driftwood)- those which you see in C328
    PH: 5.6
    Nitrate: according to API test kit is Zero
    Occupant: 1 Male vejieta whom just recently Ko-ed his lover
    Light: 15 LED light (not strong)

having a second tank
    tank size: 24inch(L) X 10inch(B)x 11inch(H)Gravel: SUdo sand
    plant: Windolov(tied onto driftwood)- those which you see in C328
    PH:6.0 range
    Occupant: 5 cherry barbs and 5 rummynose
    AquaZonic 10 watts light

Can any kind soul rectify the problem i am facing?
    (My lady was teasing me that my plant have expiry date)

Lots of thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ferns Keep turning Brown

By the way both tanks are running on Eden 501 filter and filled with Biohomes. the 2nd tank have addditional Seachem purigen in the filteration system

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well I also have problems with my ferns browning. From your case there are likely 2 causes.

The first is that the ferns you bought may have been grow emersed (above water), therefore shed their emersed leaves when submersed.
    The second is that your nitrates are non-existent, and the lack of N in the water has stunted your ferns.

The important factor is whether your ferns are putting out new leaves that are healthy and light green. If they are, then reason 1 is the issue. If they are not, then reason 2 is more likely.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For Ferns like Java and windelov, they will become brown as it ages... its their natural cycle of life..

Note that daughter plants will emerge from tip/behind the leaves slowly.. take a closer look, you will see a small bulge with some roots especially on those brown leaves

If there is no daughter plants, brown leaves can be removed or it will become snack for cherry shrimps..note the leaves does take a long time to rot in tank..may become unsightly, the choice is yours

as long the rhizome is still green and alive, new leaves will grow from it.

i find your PH of 5.6 is a bit LOW... not sure of the effects on fern though, did you cycle the tank properly?

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If it is the whole plant turning brown, ie dying, then it could be due to lack of any sort of fertiliser dosing. Or due to low ph. I have had the same problems with java ferns in my apisto tanks. The fern just seem to melt away. I find that dosing some fertilisers help to prevent this.

If it is just a few leaves then it is probably because the leaf is old.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro Ganthet, i guess maybe the main reason is low nitrate count. i Did a test using API test kit and it shows 0 Nitrate.

Bro Wong, yes i did cycle my tank properly. in fast it is a old tank. close to 2 years? and there is fishes constantly in it. I am trying to buffer the tank PH up. Doing a experiment now. the tank with the sudo sand, i added coral chips to buffer the PH up to 6.3 range. the plants seems to be in better shapes. So after all it maybe the PH. the ferns in another tank 70% have already turn brown. Will shift them over to the higher ph tank. see if it will "Rescue" them back to life

Hi doppelbanddwarf, can i check what fertilisers are you adding? Yes i do face problem with melting plants. In fact my water lettuce and frogbits have melted away. It started off with dropping roots. then the leaves starts to melt away

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I just dose a bit of wondergro micro and macro which I have lying around. If most of your plants are melting I believe it is due to the extremely low ph.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think so is due to the ferts added or the light output. In my experience, it should be due to the water temperature. I kept java ferns before and when they are in cooler 1 feet tank, they can survive fine. But when they are in the 2 feet tank with 29-31C water as it is near to the balcony, it starts to go brown and died within weeks. I think it is because of the water temperature. You can try measuring it and try shifting it to a cooler location.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The rule of thumb - plants are at their best in cooler temperatures.. just trim away the browning parts and the fern is good to go

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I agree that aquatic plants will do better under cooler temperatures. However, java fern is a very hardy plant and mine are all in tanks with direct sunlight through the window. I realised whenever if I have not dosed any fertilizers for a very long time (I don't have a fixed regime as I'm not realy a planted tank person), my philippine ferns will be the first to show signs of rotting.
    Here are some links which also suggest that nitrate deficiency might be the cause of java fern rot
    http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00081.html
    http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/ar...p/t-1899.html?
    http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwate...fern-melt.aspx
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...n-melting.html

and of course there can be many other reasons as well.
    chongyu