Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to take really close up shots with my Sony DSC-P8

How to take really close up shots with my Sony DSC-P8

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I have been trying to take really close up shots of my fishes/shrimps with my Sony Cybershot DSC-P8.

Some of the following properties
    - 3.2 Mega Pixels
    - Optical lenx 3x
    - f= 6-18mm
    - 1:2.8-5.2

I have no idea what is the 4th property '1:2.8-5.2' . I just typed what I saw on my camera. I have gone through my manual and tried fiddling with the Auto focus, even specifying near range, nothing seems to work.

When i zoom max on the fish i wanna take, the entire image is just one fuzzy blurness. Apparently for the Sony DCs, if I press n hold halfway, the lens will try to adjust itself n capture the correct image. But it never does capture the correct clarity.

Does anyone out there use any such Sony Cybershots? Pls help.

Million thanx!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    finclk

what you need is some closeup filters, I also think you need an adapter to use such filters. only then can you get close to the subject...

2.8 - 5.2 is your aperture size, the larger the number, the bigger your aperture...

consider taking fish shots with at least f16 to get a better DOF

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In macro mode (the little flower), your cam will need a minimum distance from subject of 6cm... if it's similar to my P-9. Any closer, the cam will not be able to focus. And that is without zooming in. If you zoom in, the minimum distance to subject becomes longer.

Another problem is the tank glass... sometimes it messes with the focusing. Tricks the camera into thinking that the subject is much closer. So far, I've had very little of this problem with the P-9.

The most likely cause of your focusing difficulty, is the size of the subject. If the subject is too small, the camera will not use focus on it, but will focus on things behind it. I think the subject has to fill at least 1/3 of your viewfinder/LCD for the camera to focus on it.

I'm not sure if Sony has a lens/filter adaptor kit for the P-8. You can check at the Sony website. And I'm sure you know that Sony is really expensive. There's a shop in Bugis Junction, at the ground floor near the Singtel and M1 shop areas which carries the accessories. Also one in Sim Lim Square.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c5b4a1ec59="Simon"]finclk

2.8 - 5.2 is your aperture size, the larger the number, the bigger your aperture...

[/quote:c5b4a1ec59]

actually, the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture (that iris-like thing that opens to let in light). a small aperture will create a very deep depth-of-field (bigger region are in focus in front and behind of your focal point) but because the aperture is small, the amount of light entering is low and hence you have to have a SLOWER shutter speed to compensate, otherwise your picture will be very dark, or underexposed.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh, and the only fish that a consumer/prosumer camera's auto-focus is good for, is a dead one. :P

to follow and focus on fishes, and small fishes particularly, you need those superduper DSLR with arnie-style motor-drives. :P :P :P

your best bet is to set your cam into manual focus, then pre-focus onto a point where your fish is likely to be, and wait for it to get to that point, then snap. and if you don't have flash, you're likely to get blury picture due to the movement of the fish, and if you use your built-in flash, you'd likely to get the reflection from the glass.

aquarium photography, ain't easy. sign-up for Benny's photography workshop!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Oi! Choy, choy, choy! What dead fish?!? :P

... for big slow fishes, auto-focus also can.

Btw, P8 don't have manual focus.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean macam your aro? even my g5 autofocus can

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:957536362b="hwchoy"]
    actually, the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture (that iris-like thing that opens to let in light). a small aperture will create a very deep depth-of-field (bigger region are in focus in front and behind of your focal point) but because the aperture is small, the amount of light entering is low and hence you have to have a SLOWER shutter speed to compensate, otherwise your picture will be very dark, or underexposed.[/quote:957536362b]

thks for the correction choy

visual representation

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On certain compact digital cameras, you can set the infinity mode (mountain button) on it so that it does not get fooled by the glass between the subject and the camera. On certain models, this works even for aquatic photography.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0722e1c3fc="Simon"]
    thks for the correction choy

visual representation
    [/quote:0722e1c3fc]

very interesting, Simon. next time you look into your gf's eyes, look at her iris, then just when she thought you're gonna k!ss her, announce "F/11!"

Ok guys, thanx for the help. I think I would need to get extra lens if i really wanna take close up shots. Let's say i wanna get another DC, what would u guys recommend? Budget below 1k. They say Nikon n Canon are best for DCs?

What do u all recommend?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    finclk, try to attend Benny's workshop. all your questions will be answered. but there are no straight answers, you have to decide on what you really want to do, and trade-off accordingly. however the following are basic requirements for aquatic close-up photography:
    • must have manual focusing
    • must be able to manually adjust aperture and shutter speed
    • must have a hotshoe for attaching external flash
    • must be able to accept add-on lens/filters

I have already registered! Waiting for it! haha... Thanx all!