Thread: Shrimp tank.

Feedback Score

Shrimp tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

If I will to set up this shrimp tank, what do you think?
    Can it work?

Tank Dimensions : 4ft
    Lighting Intensity : None
    CO2 Injection : None
    Base fertilizer : Nil
    Liquid Fertilizers Used : None
    Filter : None
    Cooling : about 25 degrees using AC fan
    Plants : Mosses & Nanas
    Fauna : No fish, only shrimps.

Advantages:
    1. No lighting, no filter = save electricity
    2. Minimum change of water = save $$$, save effort
    3. No CO2 = save $$$
    4. No liquid fert = save $$$

Overall it is economical to maintain this tank.

Disadvantages:
    1. Limited plant selection

BIG worry : will the tank attract mosquito?

All comments welcome.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp tank

No light no filter!!!!! You are heading for massive shrimp death.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it is excellent that your shrimps will have such a large environment to move around. But here are a few thoughts:

- Still/stagnant water always attract mosquitos, so be aware. Probably you can add a cheap hang-on filter to create surface movement.
    - Without lights, you will not be able to see the insides of your tank clearly, especially at night. Also, will the moss and nanas survive for long without CO2 and lights?

I always like fishes in my tanks, however few there are. They kinda add variety to the life in the tank. In my shrimp tanks, I have an SAE, a pair of boraras urophthalmoides (I think) and recently added dwarf croaking gouramis.

Juz my 2 cents.

Cheers
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Still/stagnant water always attract mosquitos, so be aware. Probably you can add a cheap hang-on filter to create surface movement.
    I believe shrimps will eat the mosquito lavas. Any one can verify?

With a 4ft tank, I believe you have more than sufficient buffer if you are keeping only shrimps. Should work even if you don't change water frequently. Have fun!

Feedback Score
    Hi, Sleepy_lancs,
    May I know what is the reason?

Hi BT
    Still/stagnant water always attract mosquitos, so be aware.
    I got the same thinking as illumbomb that shrimp will eat mosquito lavas but need verification.

Probably you can add a cheap hang-on filter to create surface movement.
    Reason I didn't want to have a filter is to prevent baby shrimps from being sucked into the filter.

Without lights, you will not be able to see the insides of your tank clearly, especially at night.
    Don't worry, I will have a simple light set on top of the tank.

Will the moss and nanas survive for long without CO2 and lights?
    Can they survive? Anybody can verify?

Hi illumbomb

Should work even if you don't change water frequently.
    Let's hope it works.

Actually right now I am having a planted tank with all the PL light set, canister filter, liquid fert and plants like Red tiger lotus, Blyxa japonica, hair grass , bananas plant etc. Of course there are fishes like OTOs,SAE, Rummy nose etc in the tank.
    However due to work & family commitment, I'm looking for a low maintenance tank.
    Thanks......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Use surface skimmer and set it for 100% surface skimming.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I know that Yamatos eat mosquito larva. Verified. Not too sure about other shrimps though. You can test by giving them bloodworms and see if they go for that. It's basically the same thing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp tank.

You may have good reasons for saving money, but I am very sure that even a couple of 4 ft FL tubes (in a DIY fixture plus reflector) will not use more than a few cents of electricity a month (Mrs Budak can probably confirm that). Your AC fans would probably consume more power, and you will need several to cool the tank to 25C. In my opinion, the fans are NOT necessary (I am keeping dozens of breeding cherry, Malayan, bee and taiwan shrimps in a 20 cm tank without fans, filter, co2, air pump; the temperature is ambient - 27-28C).

Filters are nice to have, but I think it's possible to do without. Ditto for CO2 and Base fert. If your tank is in a fairly bright location with some direct sunlight for a few hours daily and you have a fairly thick layer of plain gravel, you can go beyond Nanas and mosses to include crypts, most echinodorus plants and Hygrophilas (all of which can thrive without CO2 injection). Don't forget ferns like Java fern and Bolbitis as well. The greater your plant variety and quantity, the far better are they able to act as nutrient sponges and natural water filters.

As for water changes, I think you CANNOT do without them at all. If you are so lazy as to want a totally maintenance free tank, I wish you best of luck (meaning you will need it), but I imagine you shouldn't find the task of changing 30-40% of the water every two weeks a heinous chore. YOu might have to add a little liquid fert though, as shrimps alone won't provide enough of the macronutrients and traces required by plants to thrive.

I would NOT worry about mosquitos in a shrimp at all.

Personally, I like your setup plan, though I would probably like to add a school of one small fish species (rasboras or blue-eye killies) to add contrast. But that's your perogative.

Feedback Score
    You may have good reasons for saving money, but I am very sure that even a couple of 4 ft FL tubes (in a DIY fixture plus reflector) will not use more than a few cents of electricity a month (Mrs Budak can probably confirm that). Your AC fans would probably consume more power, and you will need several to cool the tank to 25C. In my opinion, the fans are NOT necessary (I am keeping dozens of breeding cherry, Malayan, bee and taiwan shrimps in a 20 cm tank without fans, filter, co2, air pump; the temperature is ambient - 27-28C).
    If the lights are for seeing the insides of the tank clearly, especially at night, I have a 4x36 PL light set, so it is no a problem. But no more ON for 8hrs a day.

As for water changes, I think you CANNOT do without them at all. If you are so lazy as to want a totally maintenance free tank, I wish you best of luck (meaning you will need it), but I imagine you shouldn't find the task of changing 30-40% of the water every two weeks a heinous chore

If this is the minimum requirement, sure not a problem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In the past, I kept some cherry shrimps with plenty of taiwan moss in a small guppy tank (with no aeriation). Yes, they consume frozen bloodworm so I thought even if mosquito lavas were in there, it should not be a problem. However, the mosquito lavas survived by hiding in between the moss. I need to add some fishes to wipe out the remaining mosquito lavas in the guppy tank.

Your tank is definitely very much bigger than what I'm using to house the shrimps, so I wouldn't be surprise if mosquito lavas survived in your shrimp only tank. Therefore, my advice to you is to

1. Introduce some fishes or/and
    2. Add a filter/airpump