Country
    Singapore

Advice Needed: Newbie Setting Up a Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello Everyone!

This tank is currently on the 3rd day of cycling. I have a few questions regarding the setup of this tank. Any advice appreciated!

1) Lights - One of the bigggest drawback. The lighting is no good. Included in the package is 2 10W halogen lights. After reading around, it seems that most people upgraded to this thing call,

Brightest MR11 12 Volt AC DC 10 5050 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle 160 Lumen 2.1 Watt, white, 1113WH

Anyone can advise where I get can those in Singapore? I tried to order it from Amazon but they cannot be delivered. Went to DIY shop, they don't carry this too. Or is there any alternative?

2) Fluval Edge Accessories - Because of the unique design and build of the tank, I went hopping around in search of accessories specially built for the Fluval Edge. These include the gravel cleaner, fish net, pre-filter sponge, carbon renewal satchets.

Problem is I can't seem to find a place which carry those. Places I went to include Y618, Y934, Seaview, and almost all (I think) the aquariums in Pasir Ris farmway.

Tried Amazon but they cannot be delivered too. Lol. Anyone knows where I can find those?

3) Substrate - I'm using GEX Red. Is 2 cm of substrate too stingy? If so, what is the minimum?

4) Tank cycling - Water in tank has been treated with Seachem Prime anti chlorine and also the bacteria thing from CRS Haven. Currently on the 3rd day of cycling.

I read that people put in Yamato shrimps to "test water" before adding other planned livestocks. How many days do I need to cycle before putting in 2 Yamatos?

Anyway I'm planning to do a low tech tank with hard shrimps like sakuras, together with some nice rocks and plants like moss and mini fissidens. Will post pictures along the way!

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice Needed: Newbie Setting Up a Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank

Two cm too little ler put about four my tank is four and cycle a minimum of two-three weeks some people one month. then you can try put yamatos but cycle the longer the better more safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Rookie bro, welcome aboard!

Erm, 1st thing first. Please try not to use sms languages in this forum like "lol". Hehe is fine though, hehe.

Frankly, if the tank is so much trouble, so specialized and incompatible, I envisioned that you may be changing tank in the near future. So don't go spending too much on gears that you cannot bring over to the next tank.

To answer your questions,
    1. Since the bulb you're looking for is an LED, have you tried asking Inwares? They're one of the merchants in this forum.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...water-aquarium

Otherwise, the other option is to use a concierge service like Comsgateway or vPost to buy it off Amazon and ship it here. Although it'll not be cheap to ship small quantities of goods.

2. Can't help you there bro. I cannot even find who's the distributor here.

3. Depends on what shrimps you're planning to keep and if you plan to have rooted plants. There's no hard and fast rules on soil.
    Sakura can get by without low pH so you don't need very thick soil, especially when you're only keeping mosses with them.

4. 3 days is certainly too short. Read up on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling of new tanks to get an idea of how you should be preparing the tank.
    Just leaving it to run without actually cycling the tank is also pointless. There needs to be a constant ammonia source in the tank to cycle it, not just add soil, Seachem prime and bacteria powder and let it run.

Please do not use yamato shrimps for cycling as they will most likely die.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nearest distributor is in Malaysia:

Rolf C. Hagen (Sea) Sdn. Bhd.
    Lot 14A, Jalan 3A, Kawasan
    Perusahaan Cheras Jaya
    Balakong, 43200 Cheras, Selangor
    Darul Ehsan

Perhaps you can contact the Malaysian office and ask for the details of the distributor in Singapore. An old posting said the distributor for Singapore was at Jun Jie Industrial Building at the junction of Upper Aljunied Link and Kampong Ampat:

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_...el_site_47050/

I'm not sure if this info is still accurate because the post was from 3 years ago.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Hi Rookie bro, welcome aboard!

1. Since the bulb you're looking for is an LED, have you tried asking Inwares? They're one of the merchants in this forum.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...water-aquarium

Otherwise, the other option is to use a concierge service like Comsgateway or vPost to buy it off Amazon and ship it here. Although it'll not be cheap to ship small quantities of goods.
    Just shot them a PM and will check out the concierge.

Please do not use yamato shrimps for cycling as they will most likely die.
    What livestock will you use to cycle the tank? I think a "fish-more" cycling will be better than a fish-less one ya? Lol.. sorry I meant Hehe. Can I throw in like 4 otos for the cycling?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Nearest distributor is in Malaysia:

Rolf C. Hagen (Sea) Sdn. Bhd.
    Lot 14A, Jalan 3A, Kawasan
    Perusahaan Cheras Jaya
    Balakong, 43200 Cheras, Selangor
    Darul Ehsan

Perhaps you can contact the Malaysian office and ask for the details of the distributor in Singapore. An old posting said the distributor for Singapore was at Jun Jie Industrial Building at the junction of Upper Aljunied Link and Kampong Ampat:

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_...el_site_47050/

I'm not sure if this info is still accurate because the post was from 3 years ago.
    My googling prowess is next to zero. :/ Any chance anyone got the contact number or email?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Rookie,

I saw a working model of the Fluval Edge tank at Seaview and the gaps on top of the filter look rather large and your shrimplets may get suck into the filter. Have you thought of a way to prevent this from happening?

Some photos of your set up tank will be nice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chinsm View Post
    Hi Rookie,

I saw a working model of the Fluval Edge tank at Seaview and the gaps on top of the filter look rather large and your shrimplets may get suck into the filter. Have you thought of a way to prevent this from happening?

Some photos of your set up tank will be nice
    Hi Chinsm

I'm not too sure what you meant by gaps at the top of the filter. Are you referring to the intake pipe where water get sucked into the filter?

It's a simple Aquaclear 20 HOB filter. I'm going to slot in a pre-fliter sponge over the intake pipe so I'm not too worried about shrimps getting sucked it.

Here's a picture of tank on the 3rd day of cycle.

Last edited by rookie; 13th Feb 2012 at 20:03. Reason: Added pictures

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What is that white thingy in your tank? Btw whenever life's are at risk I recommend you play safe cycle for one month then put them in so you casualties are low

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    What livestock will you use to cycle the tank? I think a "fish-more" cycling will be better than a fish-less one ya? Lol.. sorry I meant Hehe. Can I throw in like 4 otos for the cycling?

Thank you!
    Ottos are even worst choice. Fishless cycling means to use rotting food or market prawns in place of livestocks to provide the ammonia.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xconnect. View Post
    What is that white thingy in your tank? Btw whenever life's are at risk I recommend you play safe cycle for one month then put them in so you casualties are low
    Oh that's just some extra ceramic rings I have so I just net them and dump in the tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ottos are even worst choice. Fishless cycling means to use rotting food or market prawns in place of livestocks to provide the ammonia.
    Thanks I'll go read up a bit more on that!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro you asking him to create a big stink bomb...... hahaha not advisable the smell linger in the tank and canister for a long period of time. Take a long time to purge the smell away

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
    Bro you asking him to create a big stink bomb...... hahaha not advisable the smell linger in the tank and canister for a long period of time. Take a long time to purge the smell away
    Just 1 piece in a tank is ok. Hahaha. Not asking him to dump 1/2kg of dead prawns in.
    It'll turn moldy and white and look nasty, but just suck it out at the end of the cycle?

Of course, the other way is to use ammonia solution, but that is quite tricky, have to control the ppm.

A thread by our admin Vinz. The link is dead though.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...shless-Cycling

Here's 2 links that are active
    http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
    http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/article...ng-article.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice read!

Fish-less cycling seems to be more complicated to me. :/

Think I'll go with the fish-more cycling. Maybe just one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any updates?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chinsm View Post
    Any updates?
    Tank is now on the 10th day of cycle.

Replaced some of the water with water from another matured tank few days back and also added 2 yamato shrimps.
    They seem to be enjoying themselves in the tank.

A shot of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

How's the temperature? Not going too high with the little ventilation from the small hole?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

10th days seems alittle early to add shrimp into the tank.
    did u do a check with the test kit ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ismification View Post
    How's the temperature? Not going too high with the little ventilation from the small hole?
    I do not have a thermometer yet. Planning to keep hardy shrimps like cherries and sakuras. So I doubt the rise (if any) in temperature will affect much?

Quote Originally Posted by sp1der View Post
    10th days seems alittle early to add shrimp into the tank.
    did u do a check with the test kit ?
    No budget for test kits.

I replaced half tank of water with matured water from another tank. And also used the filter media from that tank. I hope that is ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast