Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding Brine Shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello fellow forumers, i don't think Brine Shrimp should be considered as a freshwater critter, but i know it's not a marine critter either, hence posting this here. I am seeking advice regarding the breeding of Brine Shrimp.

I have done some extensive research online but came to the conclusion that different sources provide different opinions. Some say use 1% salt solution, while some say 3% or even higher. Also, some advocated aeration to be strong while another instucted very mild aeration. All this only confuses me even further.

The hatching of the Brine Shrimp did not pose a problem for me. I had achieved high hatching rates with 3 tablespoons of iodine-free salt per litre of water. What troubled me was that the brine shrimps were totally wiped out within 24 hours after hatching. As i have seen adult brine shrimps being sold, i felt breeding of brine shrimp in the home environment has to be possible.

Besides continuing the aeration after they have hatched, i also feed them with yeast, as recommended by some online sources. It seems that with or without feeding, the shrimps persist to die within a day of hatching. I was wondering if any forumers with experience in raising and breeding brine shrimps could offer me some advice.

Thanks and regards.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As my number of fry is only 5, I used a small plastic tray and filled it with mixture of sea salt and tap water. Sprinkle a bit of BBS egg and leave it for 12 hours. I do not use aeration as the number of eggs is very little. The egg usually hatched within 12 hours. One time, I accidentally dropped too much eggs onto the tray and hatched more egg than I can feed within a day. The BBS was alive for almost 4 days and finally died off slowly. I think they was starved to die because I didn't feed them at all.

PS: I know that BBS that lives more than a few hours has no more nutrient.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That is precisely one of the many differences in brine shrimp information that i have encountered. Many said that bbs should be fed within a few hours of hatching, for these has the high fats content suitable for fry. Yet one source mentioned that as bbs grow, their fats are used up to develop protein, which makes adult bs a good live food for bigger fishes. As my fry have all grown considerably i thought it might be a good idea to let the bs grow a bit before feeding. I hope i do not need to go out and purchase sea mix to get them to live longer...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Breeding Brine Shrimps

[quote:9564d7d76b="Darkkon"]Hello fellow forumers, i don't think Brine Shrimp should be considered as a freshwater critter, but i know it's not a marine critter either, hence posting this here.[/quote:9564d7d76b]

Woudn't the word "brine" indicate that it's a marine creature?

Some say use 1% salt solution, while some say 3% or even higher. Also, some advocated aeration to be strong while another instucted very mild aeration.
    A little less or more salt won't make much of a difference. Neither would strong or weak aeration have a great effect. The most important factor is the quality of your brine shrimp eggs.

What troubled me was that the brine shrimps were totally wiped out within 24 hours after hatching.
    After many hatchings, there's a layer of scum that builds up on the sides of the hatchery. For some reasons that are still not fully understood, this scum will cause your culture to crash. Clean your bottle or whatever you are using to hatch the brine shrimp eggs with a piece of green wool. Give it a good scrub and your next hatch won't crash.

As i have seen adult brine shrimps being sold, i felt breeding of brine shrimp in the home environment has to be possible.
    It is definitely possible and actually very easy too. I've haven't got time to build the web page but if you search around, there are many sites that show you how you can raise the baby brine shrimp into adults.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sigh i officially give up. Tried and tested small batches with varying amount of food, aeration and salinity and the best results was 4 days. No matter what happens it seems that i can't just keep them alive after that. Changing the water doesn't seem to help too. Conclusion it is just not worth the effort i suppose. But i have read some conservation efforts on harvesting brine shrimp so dun think will be buying them again. Sure hope to get a culture started but seems it's not likely