Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Shrimps dying / disappearing on a daily basis - prime suspect?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps dying / disappearing on a daily basis - prime suspect?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I've had this 3 gallon tank for about 4 months now. Cycled it for 1 month and added around 30 pcs of sakura, yellow and malayan shrimps. Everything is okay for around 2 months.

Then came the mystery. My shrimps keep on disappearing. It's a small tank and I'm sure if they died, I was able to locate the carcass but no. They just disappeared.

However, lately, I can see some dead shrimps although most disappeared without trace. I'm suspecting that it could be because of a particular rock that I've added around 2 months ago. It has got red stains on it. Not too sure what it is. See picture.

rock red.jpg

Should I purchase test kits (if there is one) to test for metals like copper, etc? Is it worth it? Or is it because of some chopsticks that I've added for tying some moss?

Water parameter:
    pH is 5.8 to 6.4.
    Temp: 28-30C
    Nitrite=0
    Ammonia=0
    GH=3-4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimps dying / disappearing on a daily basis - prime suspect?

I'd suspect dragonfly nymphs. Check the tank at night for activity.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with squee, high chance it's a dragonfly or damselfly nymph. In my case it was a damselfly nymph.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

What kind of activities should one be looking for?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

These nymphs are usually pale in color, but some come in brown tones that can camouflage with your gravel or driftwood. They will be skulking on the bottom, crawling around looking for prey. Use a torchlight to see if you have these nymphs. Some of them may just stay in one spot until they can ambush their prey.

Cool. Good to know. Another good nugget of information. Thank you Stormhawk!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You're welcome. I found this out by accident in my main tank.. eggs came in with a piece of driftwood that had mosses on it. Needless to say, when I did discover the 2 nymphs, half of my shrimps were already dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been stalking the tank at night but could not locate any nymph. Recently found more dead shrimps. This time bodies were limp and soft. I'm suspecting to be low pH. My snails dont seem to be affected though. That rules out metal poisoning. Read somewhere that Sakuras / fire red are quite senstive to low pH. I'm only guessing that my pH is around 5.8 onwards as most of the time my API reading shows very light yellow..signalling <6 although there's one time when it showed a nice 6.4. Any test kit out there that can test low pH?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

3 gallons is quite small tank and you put 30 sakura, XX yellow and XX malayan. You put quite number of fauna. What filter did you use?

Your pH also fluctuate quite a lot 5.8 to 6.4. Is that measure at different time? Any CO2 injection?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

30 in all...but I know, still a lot. However other nitrite and ammonia has been nil since I've added the fauna. But I'm having trouble with the pH. Too low I guess. The 6.4 was measured at different time after I've added some old sea mud powder but then days later it went down again. CO2 injection is 1bps for 8hrs/day. Light is also on for about the same time +/-. Filter is a HOF capacity about 200l/hr.

I've removed most of the remaining shrimps to another tank. Only left with 5-6 juveniles. I've added 2 Ottos and 6 boraras and they are doing fine.
    Any advise.?..should I add some coral chips to bring the pH up or should I switch to more acid tolerant shrimp like CRS?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They have a low range pH test kit available, but you have to ask around. Another way is to use the test strips by Merck, for pH alone.

The choice of switching to soft water shrimps like CRS is entirely up to you.