Country
    Singapore

Re: GC-Shop: Share & Learn Sessions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by monstar View Post
    Really enjoyed and learnt alot from the session , many thanks! Btw are white tree frogs being sold at GC?
    not cheap now but can get.
    just now stayed a while and chat with eddy then someone popped the question.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To import the froggy babies is not the issue. To import 1,000 (min. order) is the problem , soooo....just the food for 1 day can eat your pocket dry. Even if you downsize that to 100, it is still very taxing in my opinion.

I think GC will have to work with several pet shops and LFS inorder to get them in, but perhaps Eddy might have different way to do that, given his resourcefulness.
    BTW, are the photos ready for uploading?

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for joining us at the session, we look forward to see you at #2 Session for the paludarium 2 weeks later (24 march).

Ronnie will begin his Killifishes sharing this coming saturday (17 march), do join in too!

The photos for the workshop are available at:
    FACEBOOK - Welcome to drop your opinions and notes here!
    GC-SHOP WEBSITE

We will uploading a simple article on the making of the DIY background shortly.
    Green Chapter
    We custom build and maintain planted/marine aquariums, boutique aquariums, water features of any sizes, in homes, offices and public areas.

Showroom / Office / 565 MacPherson Road #01-00 Singapore 368234.
    Mobile / 9155 3359 Tel / 6775 7376, Fax 6773 6793
    Website / www.greenchapter.com Email / [email protected]
    Website / www.gcshop-sg.com Email / [email protected]

Green Chapter
    We custom build and maintain planted/marine aquariums, boutique aquariums, water features of any sizes, in homes, offices and public areas.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi, i've read thru the short article and was wondering what type of paint is used? and the clear coat is to seal the paint ? it doesn't leech into the water? even after being dried?

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Use Acrylic paint for this build, this Acrylic paint is a water-based and dirt resistance, fungus & algae resistance ,waterproof and color retention.Hence this paint is actually non toxin and will not leech into water.

Be careful handling this paint as this is one of the fastest drying paint(10 min to dry), if this stain on your clothes, you will never able to remove it unless you may try using turpentine but no promises and your hands , you will able to rid of it maybe 2-3days.

The clear spray is to prolong the lifespan of the paint and also protect from rough handling.

you may obtain from Popular book store or Art craft from Bras Basah Road.

hope this will help you..
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Speaker: Ronnie a.k.a GC Unker
    Venue: Green Chapter Shop, 354 Clementi Avenue 2
    Time: 11:00 AM - 12:30 AM (Estimative)
    What Should I Bring: Nothing
    Admission: Free
    Group Size: 5-10

17 March 2012: Killies Keeping Sessions 1
    What Will I be Doing: Join Unker as he gives the low-down between killie species and how to set up a suitable breeding tank.

Green Chapter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eddy, as far as I know, there are at least 2 types of acrylic paint. One is water-based and the other oil-based. I don't know if you can find water-based acrylic paint that comes in spray cans but Nippon has it in tins. It's called Bodelac paint or something. I used an oil-based acrylic spray can to paint my foam background but I covered it with a sealer later. With water-based acrlyic paint, the advantage is we don't need a sealer.

Too bad I missed your workshop. Would have loved to attend to find out how you cut the styrofoam to accommodate all the filter pipes.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ronnie, I work Saturdays so I can't come to your killifish workshop. Too bad. But the good news is the A elberti's are doing well. And I have quite a good sex ratio, something like 5 males to 5 females. Catching them is going to be real tough though as my tanks is heavily planted. But let me know when you are ready and I'll bring 2 pairs to you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eddy, since I can't go to your workshop, I will have to ask my questions here. I had a problem painting my foam background because foam does not bind well with paint. In fact, with oil-based paint, the oil in the paint will melt the foam. So I solved the problem by first coating the foam with quick-drying cement. But it's very difficult to do this too as foam does not bind well with cement either. I have to apply many coats and the job was made more difficult as the cement dries very fast. So fast that before I can spread it on the foam, the cement was starting to dry.

My friend said the best is to use epoxy. But epoxy is damn expensive. To coat a 4 X 2 feet background would mean more than a hundred dollars worth of epoxy. I'm thinking of making another foam background so I would like to learn from you how you paint it. Using a brush is not an option for me as the background I have in mind is rather complicated, with many narrow nooks and crannies where it's very difficult to use a brush. Whatever paint I use, it has to come in a spray can. I couldn't find a water-based spray can in Art Friend at Bras Basah or any of the hardware shops I visited.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb View Post
    Catching them is going to be real tough though as my tanks is heavily planted. But let me know when you are ready and I'll bring 2 pairs to you
    Start catching 'em and see if you can swing by before Saturday, so I can show 'em during the sharing session. The elberti is just too nice a killie to spend it's life hiding amongst plants!!

For now, attendees get to view...

Non-annual species;
    Fundulopanchax sjoestedi 'Niger Delta'
    Fundulopanchax gardneri nigeranus 'Innidere'
    Chromaphyosemion splendopleure 'Ekondo Titi'
    Chromaphyosemion splendopleure 'Tiko'
    Aphyosemion australe Orange & Gold phenotypes

Annual species;
    Nothobranchius eggersi 'Ruvu river bridge FTZ 09/24' (Pure blue line) Very rare. Trio courtesy of Anh.
    Austrofundulus leohoignei '5km to Sanare, VEN 04-02'. (VEN is Venezuela) Pair courtesy of Shi Xuan.

This will be a good time for both killie-keepers and wannabes to share and mingle, with possibility of other species showing up, though unconfirmed, from their respective slaves
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay, I'll bring the fish on Friday. They are Aphyosemion elberti Ngong ADK 10-313.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You right. Paint is thinner based so no good, the water based is call acrylic color. : >

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb View Post
    Eddy, as far as I know, there are at least 2 types of acrylic paint. One is water-based and the other oil-based. I don't know if you can find water-based acrylic paint that comes in spray cans but Nippon has it in tins. It's called Bodelac paint or something. I used an oil-based acrylic spray can to paint my foam background but I covered it with a sealer later. With water-based acrlyic paint, the advantage is we don't need a sealer.

Too bad I missed your workshop. Would have loved to attend to find out how you cut the styrofoam to accommodate all the filter pipes.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

HI Loh

The Oil -based acrylic paint will take long time to to dry and also difficult to thinner the colour. That's why I use water-based acrylic paint. From my understanding I did some acrylic paint research for months before I start my first background,I did checked Nippon Paint about Bodelac paint and i realized this Bodelac contain heavy metals, Cadmiums, Cobalts, Formaldehyde and Lead that made this oil-based acrylic paint toxin to fauna and flora. The most important thing is that you don't digest them, so don't eat or drink while painting with them, always have good ventilation where you are painting and you must wear gloves when handling specifically the heavy metals. If you do accidentally get some on your skin, wash with soap and water immediately.. Of course the oil-based acrylic paint will melt the foam because of the heavy metals. I advise you dump all the oil-based acrylic paints you got unless you are an trained artist.

As for quick- drying cement, I would recommend the waterproof cement for foam-background is cement-based mixture containing adhesive and bonding chemicals which combine with the water in cement and migrate into the concrete or cement plaster cement and also it is non-toxic so can be used for potable water, even fish ponds.

Do you coat this foam with fast drying cement , you need 4 parts of water and 1 part of waterproof cement for the 1st coat and reduce to 3 parts of water and 1 part of waterproof cement for the 2nd coat. And the 3rd coat apply 2 parts or 21/2 parts of water and 1 part of cement.
    After you completed the 3rd coatings, you need to soak the cement coated foam in 2 bottles of white vinegar completely for 3-4 hrs to neutralize the high PH 15 to PH6. However you need to rinse foam completely after the vinegar soaking then you need to soak the foam again with 5 litres of water ( 1 pail) half cup of white vinegar again (overnight). Then again rise it with water completely and immerse the background into the water for couple of hour and check the PH test strip to ensure the PH has been stablise to PH6 and below.

After you completed the neutralise the background, you may start painting according to your desire.Then you may use the gloss spray paint( you may find in Art friend) after you completed the painting work.e background

hope this will help you...if you need me to come to your place..just ring me, okay
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Inching myself to GC now...dong dong dong...heh...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks to all who came for the Killie talk today with Ronnie. Had a nice time chatting with you guys.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh I was there. You are the guy with braces?

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Thanks to all who came for the Killie talk today with Ronnie. Had a nice time chatting with you guys.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes that's me. You're the one sitting right beside me right?
    Last edited by stormhawk; 17th Mar 2012 at 19:05.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha. I woke up at 12noon.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

After thoughts of the lesson. To be Killies Breeder is actually a Lineage Keeper as well. Requires lifetime commitment. I ain't one who would have this type of commitment (at least for now) hence I would avoid annuals, not because they are short-liven, but because these precious would be crossed breed if I am the one who breed it. : P But what is love? Love is falling in love at first sight, it is something that you cannot express, cannot describe, no physical form, cannot touch and perhaps there might be such a day, and love requires lifetime commitment. ^^ I will not just jump in, I will meanwhile do a lot a lot of homework before I decide if I would jump in. Here is the thing: I love it. : )

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast