Country
    Singapore

Re: GC-Shop: Share & Learn Sessions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Yes that's me. You're the one sitting right beside me right?
    Yap. Nice meeting u. I love tHe big killifish just now? Is it hard to start with?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Loh!

Saw you in Unker Ron's share and learn session pictures! LOL!

So glad to see you. I really do hope you will come and join me the part 2 session this Saturday, will you? I got so much to talk to you, hehhehe!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

downxxer, the large one aka Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, requires cooler temperatures to thrive. You can keep them in a chilled tank if possible. I'd advise you to wait for Ronnie to produce some juveniles for sale, or you can start with the Chromaphyosemion splendopleure.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Upcoming and Updated Sharing Sessions

Speaker: Eddy
    Venue: Green Chapter Shop, 354 Clementi Avenue 2
    Time: 11:00 AM - 12:30 AM (Estimative)
    What Should I Bring: Nothing
    Admission: Free
    Group Size: 5-10

24 March 2012: Paludarium Sessions 2/2
    What Will I be Doing: Join Eddy hands-on in setting up the irrigation system in the Paludarium created in Part1/2. Water lines will be attached and connected on decorations, various part of the Paludarium that requires the water, as well as placing the substrate and completing with planting.

Speaker: GC Unker
    Time: 11:00 AM - 12:30 AM (Estimative)

31 March 2012: Killies Keeping 2/2
    What Will I be Doing: Learn how to prepare media for peat-spawning killifishes. Make the time and he'll show how to DIY a spawning mop for non-annual species.

Speaker: GC Unker
    Time: 13:00 PM - 14:00 PM (Estimative)

7 April 2012: Live Culture
    What Will I be Doing: Learn the art of inoculating, maintenance & harvesting of:
    - Vinegar eels
    - Microworms
    - Walter worms
    - Grindal worms
    - Composting worms (vermiculture)
    - Moina

Speaker: Silane
    Time: 13:00 PM - 14:00 PM (Estimative)

14 April 2012: CRS Keeping
    What Will I be Doing: Join Silane in an informative session on CRS Keeping. More details to be updated.

Green Chapter
    We custom build and maintain planted/marine aquariums, boutique aquariums, water features of any sizes, in homes, offices and public areas.

Showroom / Office / 565 MacPherson Road #01-00 Singapore 368234.
    Mobile / 9155 3359 Tel / 6775 7376, Fax 6773 6793
    Website / www.greenchapter.com Email / [email protected]
    Website / www.gcshop-sg.com Email / [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    downxxer, the large one aka Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, requires cooler temperatures to thrive. You can keep them in a chilled tank if possible. I'd advise you to wait for Ronnie to produce some juveniles for sale, or you can start with the Chromaphyosemion splendopleure.
    is there any way to get eggs locally?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi downxxer,

I don't think there's any chance of getting eggs locally, at least not at the moment but if you can get fishes instead, isn't it better?

If you want eggs of a particular species, look up Aquabid. I think you will have better luck there.

Kind regards,
    Shi Xuan
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Happened to pop into this thread and I am planning to setup a 2-3ft plant tank, is there any workshop on this soon ?

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. However, we do not have adequate space and resources to conduct a planted tank workshop. Maybe in the near future.
    Green Chapter
    We custom build and maintain planted/marine aquariums, boutique aquariums, water features of any sizes, in homes, offices and public areas.

Showroom / Office / 565 MacPherson Road #01-00 Singapore 368234.
    Mobile / 9155 3359 Tel / 6775 7376, Fax 6773 6793
    Website / www.greenchapter.com Email / [email protected]
    Website / www.gcshop-sg.com Email / [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

people who are interested in joining the crs keeping session please go to this face book to comfirm you attendance so gc can prepare seats http://www.facebook.com/events/196929087082481/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

At the "Eddy" session at Green Chapter earlier today, I mentioned to a few fellow attendees having read about the use of kitty litter for the background. This is the site and the thread I was referring to:

http://www.reef-geeks.com/forums/inv...struction.html

There is a photo of the packing of the kitty litter used by this guy.

In searching for the above, I googled "kitty litter vivarium background" and got many hits. Seems it is fairly common in the US. Don't know about the relative prices and the pros and cons of kitty litter versus the mix Eddy uses.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

>"< GC has some typo, the end time should be PM, instead of AM.

Speaker: Eddy
    Time: 24/03/2012 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
    (The current session actually ends about 1+pm before we know it)

This is the second session continued from the first where Eddy touched on how to built the back-scape or the background using Styrofoam as the main media. Today, he continues with the background finishing with some cement (mortar) mix, as enquired, the materials can be available at shops which sells building materials, as hardware shop may not carry them. The session moved on to the sighting of the background with the water pump in action (200L/hr) and actual water test.

After the background has been sited, it's time for the hands-on with Wilfred as our first candidate.
    {Sorry Wil, didn't know your hand was "sticking" out at the 2nd picture : P)
    2012-03-241Wilfred.jpgAttachment 29587Attachment 29588

Next, the noob takes over by audience demand. : P
    (Due to posting restrictions, I have included 5 photos for this post; the sun have been very unkind to us, so please understand why there were so much reflection in the pictures)

Attachment 29589Attachment 29591

And then it is thank you Mr. Eddy and the group mingles around inside and outside of GC, making purchases, doing sighting for new equipments, etc.
    So basically that ends the 2nd and final session of Paludarium.

Thank you Eddy!!!
    Thank you GC for the logistic support and drinks!!!
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 24th Mar 2012 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would like to highlight one fern seen in all the photo, it is sold as Aqua Fern in LFS is actually a Borneo Fern otherwise known as Trichomanes Javanicum. This Borneo Fern is not exactly an aquatic Fern. Based on Wikipedia it is also known as Cephalomanes javanicum; also a native plant to Malaysia is a Terrarium Plant. : ) So do not go on to put this in your planted tank as it is not suitable for that purpose. For purpose of keeping this plant, you have to make sure the terra-tank be kept at humidity above 60% - 90%, the plant should grow great. Based on my own observation, it generates oxygen really fast. Faster than aquatic plant like mini nana, golden nana, water lettuce.

If you do not know which plant I am talking about, please google image for the above name: Aquatic Fern, Aqua Fern or Trichomanes Javanicum.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    At the "Eddy" session at Green Chapter earlier today, I mentioned to a few fellow attendees having read about the use of kitty litter for the background. This is the site and the thread I was referring to:

http://www.reef-geeks.com/forums/inv...struction.html

There is a photo of the packing of the kitty litter used by this guy.

In searching for the above, I googled "kitty litter vivarium background" and got many hits. Seems it is fairly common in the US. Don't know about the relative prices and the pros and cons of kitty litter versus the mix Eddy uses.

Hi fisherw,

I do appreciate your feedback regarding to "kitty litter" as the background. I have tested this before, it's really good only on vivarium but bad on either riparium and paludarium. The reason is this "kitty litter" is actually made of clay, which is absorbing the water rightly. Hence by mixing both water and peat together with "kitty litter" will beautifully transform a beautiful natural coloured background ( I must confess I really don't need any water-based acrylic paint at all, hee hee hee) and so most creepers like orchids or Pilea N plant (known as Creeping Charlie) will creep it well in due time.

However, this natural mixture background isn't suitable for paludarium and riparium as the mixture of "kitty litter", coco peat and water aren't watertight, and will leeches water to teh-o kau (thick dark tea) unless if this mixture added to waterproof bond or clear epoxy will be..I must confess it will be an AWESOME background.

Thanks for bring this up, fisherw!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Blue Whale,

Thanks so much for your strong support in this workshop, you are very helpful whatever I need some assistance.

The Aqua Fern is always my "Must have" flora that grew well in any paludarium/Vivarium project setup. Unfortunately, my White Tree frogs torn them apart very happily, sighs.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi Blue Whale,

Thanks so much for your strong support in this workshop, you are very helpful whatever I need some assistance.

The Aqua Fern is always my "Must have" flora that grew well in any paludarium/Vivarium project setup. Unfortunately, my White Tree frogs torn them apart very happily, sighs.
    My after-thoughts: We do not come back as experts after attending all the sharing sessions. Yes, I would agree with you - die die must hands on. Okay, you are scaring everyone with your : Post up to AQ so we can take a look thingy. : P I prefer to go very steady nowadays since my sickness is more or less under control unless I land myself in A&E again....like in Feb. : P So the Trichomanes Javanicum is currently staying in my "nursery" for the time being. Urgh...I prefer my mini nana and golden nana to grow faster...it's okay I got "some" non-aquatic plants inside my tank so that the cory don't tekan my aquatic ones -distraction for them. Time is still lacking for me, I haven't started testing even though I have most of the materials now. Once I completed material testings, then I will move on to planning stage and really sit down to plan a good one.

The tank that I got last week isn't for palu, ^^" so have to disappoint you for the time being, I am going very slow nowadays.

NB: Note to GC, next time appreciate if can don't arrange "so intense" schedule? It's very tekan for people like me to come every weekend. Miss it, very sayang. The sharing was very good but due to the timeline, many people cannot make it even if they'd like to come. And best if continuous, don't break up. Please also tell uncle Ron, I have not disappoint him and managed to buy stainless steel binding cable for practise. ^^ Hee. I am going to cherish the lettuce.

Attachment 29619
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 25th Mar 2012 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Micheal,

Nevermind, I still can wait to see you do your built on your pace, please do it when you are good in health,okay. You'd beginning to worry me and I didn't know you are really that sick. Nevertheless you're always be remembered in my prayer that you will be always strong and healthy.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi Micheal,

Nevermind, I still can wait to see you do your built on your pace, please do it when you are good in health,okay. You'd beginning to worry me and I didn't know you are really that sick. Nevertheless you're always be remembered in my prayer that you will be always strong and healthy.
    Ha Ha...don't worry, won't die so easily. I still got fish and plants to up-keep. Just have to live with it for life, nevertheless I already know how to co-exist with it. Like my tank co-existing with algae and snails....maybe visible, maybe not...heh. Anyway, I round them up so each got it's own area.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Blue Whale bro, I think you got salvinia natans, not the mini lettuce.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I believe you are right as I too look up at 2359. Common name is salvinies. I ain't a plant id petson, so is uncle Ron but at least we will make an effort to look up. Guess part of learning process. Was going to clarify tonight. You fast sia.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Salvanias natas. The floater which I give also no takers lol. Alway go to my "rot pot" :X
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast