Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Marine salt in planted tank, no problem?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Marine salt in planted tank, no problem?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some fish developed rot tails and fins and I have added marine salt to treat them. Will it affect the plants?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You must be fairly well-off, I must say, to afford marine salt (if by this you mean those salt mixes sold for marine tanks) to treat your sick fish, when normal, uniodised salt available from some LFS will do.

Please let us know what happens to your plants (and fish too).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:1ce6024e02="budak"]You must be fairly well-off, I must say, to afford marine salt (if by this you mean those salt mixes sold for marine tanks) to treat your sick fish, when normal, uniodised salt available from some LFS will do. [/quote:1ce6024e02]

Due to my ignorance about marine fishkeeping, I must have used the wrong words to describe the salt. It is labelled "Stress Relieve Salt" which did mention on the box that it is obtained via "evaporated seawater".

It is the second day since I threw in that salt. The fishes are happy. But I have yet to see any response from the plants

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    salt, uniodised or not, marine or not, it really doesn't make much of a difference
    the only thing you have to watch for is overdosing on the salt itself
    and
    to treat fin rot
    you generally change the water and improve the conditions in the tank instead of adding more stuff inside

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks DAE, after the salt treatment, fin rot disappeared in 3 days but then fungus on eyes developed. As I have to leave home for vacation, I was forced to put them back into my planted tank (without medication) hopefully, as you have said the good water condition in the planted tank will cure them.