6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help needed for 1st attempt of a 2 feet shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    yes, I'm currently running the same prefilter -> 2217 -> hailea HS-28A (1/10hp same as cl-280) on my 3ft planted. Doing pretty good so far.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, a 2217 on a standard 2x1x1 ft would be overkill. I would recommend a 2215 if you're still going for a glassterior.

Which LFS is quoting you at that price? I believe a standard 2 ft set up can be much lower than that. Do look around and compare for better deals bro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha.. Yes that LFS is charging me a lot higher than other LFS.. They sell 2215 at $155.. I asked from another LFS, it's $138.. Everything is about 10+% more expensive.

I'm thinking of getting the 3 ft tank.
    But a newbie like me starting from 3 feet is a big step to take.

How's hailea chiller? I haven used any chillers before. Afraid of the sound. Placing it in the cabinet, it's going to be like a subwoofer.. Hahaha.. I'll need more ventilations in the cabinet though.
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's my first chiller as well lol. But I can say it's doing good. Very silent. I don't think you should put it in the cabinet, unless it's very ventilated. Might trap alot of heat inside. Try places like seaview, Petmart, c328 and NA. They give quite reasonable prices. Cabinet you can try Fishybusiness , good workmanship.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Gosh, you guys really make me sound like Tang Xuanzang from journey to the west... Sherman, your setup should be good enough. But I'll suggest get a slightly bigger chiller as if you want to upgrade your tank next time you don't need to upgrade chiller also. The CL-280 is just nice for 2ft, but 3ft might need to kick in more often.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have my pre-filter just after my tank and you can see the amount of dirt trapped under the wool.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovel View Post
    It's my first chiller as well lol. But I can say it's doing good. Very silent. I don't think you should put it in the cabinet, unless it's very ventilated. Might trap alot of heat inside. Try places like seaview, Petmart, c328 and NA. They give quite reasonable prices. Cabinet you can try Fishybusiness , good workmanship.
    Haha. One of the LFS you listed was the one I visited.

I'll be checking out c328 & y618 maybe this weekend.

I know Fishybusiness Has good workmanship but the price not right for me. If I can get sponsors then I'll go for it I guess.
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith82 View Post
    Gosh, you guys really make me sound like Tang Xuanzang from journey to the west... Sherman, your setup should be good enough. But I'll suggest get a slightly bigger chiller as if you want to upgrade your tank next time you don't need to upgrade chiller also. The CL-280 is just nice for 2ft, but 3ft might need to kick in more often.
    I'm probably the "zhu ba jie" then. Haha.

I don't know what is good for 3 feet.
    If that's the case then I'll just get a 2 feet.
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by darrentyl View Post
    I have my pre-filter just after my tank and you can see the amount of dirt trapped under the wool.
    I can really imagine how it looks like. Yummy! Minced black bean paste on wool. Haha
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Hi there,

Been watching this thread since it began and i'm learning so much things since i want to do the same set up as FaRnieGuy. I have couple of questions for Zenith82:
    1. I am going to follow your suggetion on using prefilter. By looking on your picture, you are using coares foam (black) and fine wool (blue / green) inside the pre filter, is that correct ?
    2. I found on the eheim website they have a recommendation on how to layer a media. They suggest eheim mech - Coares Foam Filter Pad (Blue) - eheim substrat pro -fine filter pad (white). Since i am going to use pre filter, do you think i still need to put the coares foam filter pad (blue) and fine filter pad (white) inside the canister or just purely eheim substart pro ?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by FaRnieGuy View Post
    ok i shall be monkey number 2 though i'm more like a pig. haha.

is eheim 2217 and resun cl-280 enough for 3 ft tank?
    i still cannot really decide 2 ft or 3 ft..
    2217 is good for a 3 footer instead of a 2 footer....
    Unless you are adding in 2 additional pre-filter will reduce the flow rate.

Seriously I will recommend you to get a 3 footer...
    Reason why???
    Many started from a 2 feet....will sure to end up with a bigger tank.
    So make sure you get a bigger chiller...otherwise it's like spending the money double..

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by badabing View Post
    Hi there,

Been watching this thread since it began and i'm learning so much things since i want to do the same set up as FaRnieGuy. I have couple of questions for Zenith82:
    1. I am going to follow your suggetion on using prefilter. By looking on your picture, you are using coares foam (black) and fine wool (blue / green) inside the pre filter, is that correct ?
    2. I found on the eheim website they have a recommendation on how to layer a media. They suggest eheim mech - Coares Foam Filter Pad (Blue) - eheim substrat pro -fine filter pad (white). Since i am going to use pre filter, do you think i still need to put the coares foam filter pad (blue) and fine filter pad (white) inside the canister or just purely eheim substart pro ?

Thanks
    For the filter wool, my opinion should go coarse then fine filter wools, then repeat.
    For the ehiem canister, is up to you, whether you want to add the filter wools. For my case, i never add. So its very personal, if you want you can add. If not you free up more space for more medias.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

To Zenith82,

After reading all the post i come up with 2 options. I am planning to set up aq 60x30x36 cm and want to hear input from you and other members which option is the best.
    Option I
    Tank-- prefilter 1 (active carbon only) -- prefilter 2 (coarse & fine filter wool) -- 2217 (substrat pro only)-- chiller 1/10 -- tank
    After 1 month of cycle proses i will disconnect the prefilter1 and keep the prefilter2 intact.

Option II
    Tank-- prefilter 1 (active carbon only) -- prefilter 2 (coarse & fine filter wool) -- 2217 (substrat pro only)-- chiller 1/10 -- tank
    After 1 month of cycle proses i will keep those prefilter intact but change the active carbon to coarse & fine filter wool.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, don't need to use 2 prefilter. Will slow down flow rate, unless your pump is strong. Carbon is not neccessary.
    You can always use bag type to submerge in tank. After cycling remove, so won't disturb your setup.

Setup should go with inlet to prefilter with wool, then to canister with medias then to chiller back to outlet.
    Carbon is good to clear up cloudy water. But have to change 3-6mths, as the carbon property uses up, it will not absorb but instead give out harmful substances. I would suggest not to use carbon, if want just use small amount.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

To Zenith82,

Thanks for the answer. Just wondering is there any particular brand that sell bag type of active carbon or i should create it by myself and remove it from the tank after cycle process is over.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    2217 is good for a 3 footer instead of a 2 footer....
    Unless you are adding in 2 additional pre-filter will reduce the flow rate.

Seriously I will recommend you to get a 3 footer...
    Reason why???
    Many started from a 2 feet....will sure to end up with a bigger tank.
    So make sure you get a bigger chiller...otherwise it's like spending the money double..
    any recommendations for chiller for a 3 footer? i'm a poor boy..
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What chiller you intend to buy and how much will you be paying for that chiller?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by badabing View Post
    To Zenith82,

Thanks for the answer. Just wondering is there any particular brand that sell bag type of active carbon or i should create it by myself and remove it from the tank after cycle process is over.
    Just drop by any LFS, they should have. 1 bag around $1.50-$2.50. Any brand will do, if you prefer reputable brands, get ocean free, boyu or dymax. Actually all about the same. If not you can also buy those charcoal bamboo to use also.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Talking Re: Help needed for 1st attempt of a 2 feet shrimp tank

Look around for 2nd hand ones, since you got a month's time to cycle, before ready to put stocks.
    I suggest you get resun/ hailea or Gex. Can get like CL-450, HC-300A, GXC-400.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Do i have to to wash the media before i put inside the canister?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast