Country
    Singapore

Help needed for 1st attempt of a 2 feet shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I've decided to start a 2 feet shrimp tank. Probably will start with Sakura shrimps then slowly move on to CRS.

Will take things slowly. It's probably going to happen in May when I'm free.

So what I hope to get here is probably help on the set up and maintenance of the tank. I believe with all the help from experienced hobbyist here, I'll be able to make this happen.

For a start, I need recommendation on filter.
    Do we need under gravel filter?
    I'll probably bring in a chiller in time to come. Will that be a factor for the filter choice?

I'll want to decide on the filter first before we move on to other stuffs.
    Noob needs time to digest and understand things slowly, need to write down my shopping list also.

Will the set up of this tank be possible if my budget is $300(excluding chiller)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help needed for 1st attempt of a 2 feet shrimp tank

Hi welcome to club, lol.... Ok for filter wise best is get a eheim filter. As for 2ft I think you should go for a classic 2215. Sorry but I am a classic fan now. Cause I have used a eco and pro model before but I feel it a pain in the neck. Lol... ( that is for me ) for Eco I have broken the clip before at night while washing the canister and I can't find spare part till the next day, in the end the whole canister look like a mummy cover with cable tie. As for eheim pro is the rubber in the canister for the outlet is always out of shape when you took it out. So the best is classic because it just a filter without gadget so lesser problem. As for UGF it up to you, with or without it it will be just fine. Hope this can help you to decided what you want. Once again welcome to the world of shrimp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by veggie View Post
    Hi welcome to club, lol.... Ok for filter wise best is get a eheim filter. As for 2ft I think you should go for a classic 2215. Sorry but I am a classic fan now. Cause I have used a eco and pro model before but I feel it a pain in the neck. Lol... ( that is for me ) for Eco I have broken the clip before at night while washing the canister and I can't find spare part till the next day, in the end the whole canister look like a mummy cover with cable tie. As for eheim pro is the rubber in the canister for the outlet is always out of shape when you took it out. So the best is classic because it just a filter without gadget so lesser problem. As for UGF it up to you, with or without it it will be just fine. Hope this can help you to decided what you want. Once again welcome to the world of shrimp
    Haha.. I've tried breeding cherries about 3 years back. Its just that now i felt that i want to do a proper tank and keep some happy shrimps. *poisoned* by the pictures of some of the other shrimp keepers.

Thanks for sharing.
    That's some things I'll need to take note of.

Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I'm confused about the relationship of a chiller and a filter.

I've never use a chiller before so I'm got really no idea of how it works. All I know is water go in and water come out. Haha.

Does water from tank go into filter inlet then from filter outlet goes into chiller? Or how does it work?
    That's why im thinking whether the choice of getting a chiller will affect the choice of a filter.

Sorry, I'm really NOOB.

Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The chiller is the last part of the process , water from the filter goes in to chiller inlet then chiller chilled water then outlet into tank.

Hi Back to TL topic, bro i would really suggest (IMO) you go straight into low grade crs 1st rather than sakuras, i assume you got experince in the past since you join AQ in 2005.
    But seriously if you can, you may want to skip sakuras, they are much much easier & they breed like no tomorrow.

Get a good filter / canister eheim brand( with good medias) plus a few packs of shrimps soil that buffer PH 5.8 to 6.6 and with a chiller you intend to install , you are ready to go.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by HeMan View Post
    The chiller is the last part of the process , water from the filter goes in to chiller inlet then chiller chilled water then outlet into tank.

Hi Back to TL topic, bro i would really suggest (IMO) you go straight into low grade crs 1st rather than sakuras, i assume you got experince in the past since you join AQ in 2005.
    But seriously if you can, you may want to skip sakuras, they are much much easier & they breed like no tomorrow.

Get a good filter / canister eheim brand( with good medias) plus a few packs of shrimps soil that buffer PH 5.8 to 6.6 and with a chiller you intend to install , you are ready to go.....
    I still have half packet of ADA Amazonia. Can I mix with other kinds of shrimp soil?

I think I'll go to the question of soil at a later part, because I have alot of questions on that. Due to the fact that I want to know more about all the different mosura stuffs that people are adding e.g mosura BT9 & Eros.. And so much more.

So now I will do things step by step. Will want to get a filter first. When I buy the stuffs part by part, I don't feel the burn in pocket. Hahahahaha if you all get what I mean.

Chiller will come in last, have no idea when it might come in. So I will try on other shrimps for a warm up.
    I want happy shrimps.

Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro farnieguy,

My advice to you is do a shopping list.

List out all the things you neef to get 1st when cycling starts:

Like tank, filter , prefilter, filter medias( what you want to put inside ) etc....

Those later stuff like plants or deco can be bought later....

Just make sure you plan your stuff well , you will be fine.....

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by FaRnieGuy View Post
    Well, I'm confused about the relationship of a chiller and a filter.

I've never use a chiller before so I'm got really no idea of how it works. All I know is water go in and water come out. Haha.

Does water from tank go into filter inlet then from filter outlet goes into chiller? Or how does it work?
    That's why im thinking whether the choice of getting a chiller will affect the choice of a filter.

Sorry, I'm really NOOB.

Ok yes you need certain flowrate for your chiller to perform properly. For me I always get higher flowrate canister so when I upgrade my tank I don't need to buy new stuff. Think there is a tread showing a chart of the FR that chiller need

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by HeMan View Post
    Bro farnieguy,

My advice to you is do a shopping list.

List out all the things you neef to get 1st when cycling starts:

Like tank, filter , prefilter, filter medias( what you want to put inside ) etc....

Those later stuff like plants or deco can be bought later....

Just make sure you plan your stuff well , you will be fine.....
    Yeah that's what I'm doing. That's why I'm taking things slow so as not to miss out anything.

There's so many things behind every parts.

There's so many type of filter medias. Really don't know what is good.

Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok yes you need certain flowrate for your chiller to perform properly. For me I always get higher flowrate canister so when I upgrade my tank I don't need to buy new stuff. Think there is a tread showing a chart of the FR that chiller need
    Ok I'll try to find that. Thanks!

Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was looking at eheim filters.. Classic, Ecco and pro.. Ecco seems to have lower power consumption.. Does that mean cheaper bills?

Is there any models for 2 feet tanks?
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was looking at eheim filters.. Classic, Ecco and pro.. Ecco seems to have lower power consumption.. Does that mean cheaper bills?

Is there any models for 2 feet tanks?
    Generally, lower power consumption does mean cheaper bills. Your primary concern should be with the flowrate (with a chiller factored in) required for your setup. Imagine if you bought a canister rated for 400lph and you had a chiller inline, you would then have a suboptimal setup and the chiller's kick-in and out would be more frequent, thereby causing you to incur higher bills (it is well documented that the more a chiller kicks-in within a specified timeframe, the more your electrical consumption will be). Just the same on the other end of the spectrum. If you buy a canister rated for 1500lph, you will be moving water in and out of the chiller too fast for it to cool properly, causing the same issues.

Do note that the advertised flowrate for canisters is usually without the media factored in. I think the general consensus is a reduction of 30% to the advertised flowrate once media has been placed (this is of course depending on the type and quantity of media you choose). With an inline chiller, the resulting flowrate would probably be even lower.

I've probably said too much now.. To sum it all up, I think the majority of people would suggest the Eheim 2215 or the Eheim 2224 depending on which range of canisters you prefer.

My 2 cents. Not everyone would agree. So.. Take it with a pinch of salt.
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    Generally, lower power consumption does mean cheaper bills. Your primary concern should be with the flowrate (with a chiller factored in) required for your setup. Imagine if you bought a canister rated for 400lph and you had a chiller inline, you would then have a suboptimal setup and the chiller's kick-in and out would be more frequent, thereby causing you to incur higher bills (it is well documented that the more a chiller kicks-in within a specified timeframe, the more your electrical consumption will be). Just the same on the other end of the spectrum. If you buy a canister rated for 1500lph, you will be moving water in and out of the chiller too fast for it to cool properly, causing the same issues.

Do note that the advertised flowrate for canisters is usually without the media factored in. I think the general consensus is a reduction of 30% to the advertised flowrate once media has been placed (this is of course depending on the type and quantity of media you choose). With an inline chiller, the resulting flowrate would probably be even lower.

I've probably said too much now.. To sum it all up, I think the majority of people would suggest the Eheim 2215 or the Eheim 2224 depending on which range of canisters you prefer.

My 2 cents. Not everyone would agree. So.. Take it with a pinch of salt.
    I understand the flow rate problem.

I was thinking about the eheim Ecco for the low power consumption because I was hoping there's a model of Ecco which has a high enough flow rate. I didn't have much time to read because I'm in the events industry. Now march holidays.
    Sorry if I'm giving the impression that I'm lazy, just asking in here and not reading up. My next off day is probably April 11 when I go bkk for a week.
    Wonder will things be cheaper over there, probably I'll carry my filter and chiller back from there. Hahahaha
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

When the rubber out of shape pro eheim means not good?

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you have already made up your mind on keeping Sakura....
    Then I don't think it a must to use a canister.
    Just a HOF will do....and once your water is right they will start breeding like rabbits.

So you must well start on Crs.....
    $300 budget can start off with a 2 feet tank for Crs....
    But not on new equiments...

2nd hand 2 feet tank- $20-$30 and sometimes free In forum
    2 feet light set- $20-$25 @ marketplace
    Canister no need a must to be Eheim
    Atman canister- $30-$35 @ marketplace
    Chiller H100or150- $100-$150 @ market place
    Old sea mud- $11
    Bt9- $24

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I understand the flow rate problem.

I was thinking about the eheim Ecco for the low power consumption because I was hoping there's a model of Ecco which has a high enough flow rate. I didn't have much time to read because I'm in the events industry. Now march holidays.
    Sorry if I'm giving the impression that I'm lazy, just asking in here and not reading up. My next off day is probably April 11 when I go bkk for a week.
    Wonder will things be cheaper over there, probably I'll carry my filter and chiller back from there. Hahahaha
    No worries bro. It's good that you have decided to ask prior to a setup.

On the topic of getting the Ecco range.. I have no experience with the range of filters (mine is from the pro range). However, it should be noted that you are paying the cost upfront for future savings. This is much like how people pay more for LED lightings in their home or buying a hybrid car. However, Eheim canisters are made to last and you should make back the cost difference and then some when its kept running 24/7 for a few years.

I'm not sure if canisters are cheaper in BKK as well. But carrying one back from there would probably incur you additional baggage costs, not to mention the canister is quite bulky and would be horrible to pack. The chiller would weigh in at 15kg or so as well.. Haha. Probably not the best idea.
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    If you have already made up your mind on keeping Sakura....
    Then I don't think it a must to use a canister.
    Just a HOF will do....and once your water is right they will start breeding like rabbits.

So you must well start on Crs.....
    $300 budget can start off with a 2 feet tank for Crs....
    But not on new equiments...

2nd hand 2 feet tank- $20-$30 and sometimes free In forum
    2 feet light set- $20-$25 @ marketplace
    Canister no need a must to be Eheim
    Atman canister- $30-$35 @ marketplace
    Chiller H100or150- $100-$150 @ market place
    Old sea mud- $11
    Bt9- $24
    Thanks for the rough pricing guide.

I'll probably get a new tank, new filter and new chiller. I'm quite impatient in a way when I want something, I can't wait and will just get it. I'll probably try to get a 2nd hand light set from marketplace.

I've decided I will go straight for CRS. I hope as long as I cycle my tank well and make sure everything is ok, my CRS would be happy.
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks or the link to the thread.
    After reading through, I'm still not decided. Haha

Probably will go for classic 2215.
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    No worries bro. It's good that you have decided to ask prior to a setup.

On the topic of getting the Ecco range.. I have no experience with the range of filters (mine is from the pro range). However, it should be noted that you are paying the cost upfront for future savings. This is much like how people pay more for LED lightings in their home or buying a hybrid car. However, Eheim canisters are made to last and you should make back the cost difference and then some when its kept running 24/7 for a few years.

I'm not sure if canisters are cheaper in BKK as well. But carrying one back from there would probably incur you additional baggage costs, not to mention the canister is quite bulky and would be horrible to pack. The chiller would weigh in at 15kg or so as well.. Haha. Probably not the best idea.
    I will just go bkk and compare prices, at most I'll add in hopping cost and see if it's still cheaper getting from there.
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast