4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yamatoes wipe out

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My friend has a four feet tank, with mini Xmas moss, java, APP and hair grass on gex soil. Juwel tank. However his yamatoes have recently died in large numbers. 2 the day before 5 last night. One was on its back struggling feebly. Besides yamatoes the tank has 4 white angel fishes, who are very aggressive. They attacked and ravaged the dying shrimp and corpses but have never attacked a healthy shrimp before. About 4 yamatoes left. There is not much cover in the tank as the plants are Very low lying.

The tank uses sera Florena and daily excel dose. 50percent water change once a week.

He has no test kits to provide info on water parameters.

As the yamatoes have been there for about 2 months, any idea what caused the wipe out? He added some soil over the weekend and did the water change. Could it be that? Or could it be the temperature As its very humid recently and the temperature is rising?

Any opinions will be good. I doubt it's copper as there's no new addition of chemicals to the tank. Neither is the nitrate as his tank has been up for nearly a year.

Thanks (:

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Did he pull out any plants? If so likely could be ammonia spike.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Yamatoes wipe out

my guess would be angel fishes
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They become snacks maybe.
    Did they molt recently? soft shell after molt very nice timing to get pecked.

i am having more and more wild guesses. perhaps you ask your friend did he add anything or change feeding routine? It will narrow down the guesses.
    Fish pecking on the dead makes me feel the angels were hungry.
    The one on its back struggling feebly reminds me of high GH and shrimp find it hard to molt and get crushed. (but according to 2 shrimp keepers Yamato still molt on pretty high GH.)
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is most likely the adde soil how did he add Lifestock remove add or what? What was the soil he added? If it is ada than it is most likely ammonia spike that cause it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Angel fish maybe the cause of it. Perhaps your friend's Yamato is consistently under stress by those angel fishes. In addition to this, the change in soil recently may have lead to the sudden change in water parameter. This may be the reason why the spike in yamato death. Personal recommendation: No advisable to keep shrimp with fishes that have aggressive nature like cichlids and barbs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agree. I used to have angle fishes in my tank. They are really beautiful if you get a bunch of them swimming around. until they start attacking shrimps and some fishes. Then you start thinking how to get rid of them so that the comm tank gets into harmony /balance again. The shrimps will then be extremely happy and start nibbling around them the angles are gone.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks so much for the input. The molting possibility is a really sharp deduction! Do these shrimps molt at roughly the same time?

To answer some queries, he didn't pull out any plants, added less than half a packet of gex soil (1litre pack) and no livestock or chemical addition to the tank otherwise.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    oh and he says the temperature of the water is actually warm to touch. Due to Juwel tanks being enclosed with lights very near the water surface. He doesn't use a fan or chiller too. I've asked him to leave the top uncovered to vent. Is that good advice and could it be inadequate?
    My own shrimps do fine but then they have a fan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp thrive better at aircon environment... Temperature or a sudden change in temperature will have harmful impact on them

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikboy View Post
    oh and he says the temperature of the water is actually warm to touch. Due to Juwel tanks being enclosed with lights very near the water surface. He doesn't use a fan or chiller too. I've asked him to leave the top uncovered to vent. Is that good advice and could it be inadequate?
    My own shrimps do fine but then they have a fan.
    It might not suffice, Yamatos can take some heat but prolonged ones may not be so good to them. Opening the lid will lessen but it will likely not be at comfort range of shrimps Eg: 27.5D.

Can try adding a exhaust fan.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."