Country
    Singapore

hi everyone! newbie here need help please?:D

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi everyone!

im just new here at AQ, and i really really want to start setting up a planted tank, but i dont know where to start and what to do im trying to read here in AQ(this site was great! a lot of things to learn.) but most of the thing i can not understand, im a bit information overload.. so i decided to create a thread.. hoping you could help me guys

im planning to set up a 2ft tank, 2x1x1.5ft. i really like corydoras. and also planning to have tetras and maybe 2-3pcs small plecos. i just want a low tech one, i think planted without co2?? planning to have white sand as substrate, black oyama background and put driftwoods with plants. the one we can buy at LFS? coz im a bit busy most of the time.. and i think having a very nice and simple tank will be a good stress reliever and buy the way ill put my tank inside my room. my aircon was open around 5-6hrs a day.

my questions are these

>how can i have a crystal clear water(once a week water change is the best i can )
    >what kind of filter i will use? HOF?Cannister? what brand?

----i think eheim was the best, some told me 2213,2215,2217?? wahh alot dont know what to choose.haha how about the ecco?? coz im planning to buy second hand ones?hehehe im in a budget is ECCO 2232 OK with 2ft tank?

>filter media will i use?? BIOHOMMES/PLUS?? mr.aqua CR?? SIPORAX?

>what lightings needed for lowtech plants??

>any list of low maintainace plants?? wheres the cheapest LFS to buy??hehe

>subrate? what do you think is the best substrate for corys??

soorry for my stupid questions hoping for your reply.. thanks a lot guys

have a good day everyone!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: hi everyone! newbie here need help please?:D

crystal clear water? frequent water change i guess.
    filter , if budget allows 2213 is good enough for your application. (seaview has the one with proper media, not just sponge, if im not wrong)
    ecco is alil more expensive but it has a priming handle which ease priming i guess? but 2213 isnt that hard to prime.
    try to get around 24w-36w white light with temperature at around 7000k
    low maintenance plants maybe other bros can help you with it
    substrate , without 2nd thoughts would be ADA Amazonia new.

make sure you cycle the tank before adding any lifestock

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

good substrate for cory will be sand and lots of plants like ferns ,bolbitis ,anubias ,moss and pelias , if you intend to have foreground plants ,best to get it lawn first with aqua soil then add corys later on

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Crystal clear water:- Weekly WC of 10-20% is a norm..some plants to act as filter to absorb excess nutrient will be good. A good filter with around 6-8 times your tank volume is recommended.

filter media:- depend on your budget..high budget got for branded stuff like biohomme.. low budget go for generic sinopore CR is fine

lighting:- try to get 1-2 watts per gallon of water... generic rule of thumb... for planted tanks, we normally go for T5HO lights,T8ho or even PL lights..the choice is yours...try to have minimum 6-8 hours of lights switched on daily.

low tech plant aka low maintenance plants;- around 1-2 bucks at majority LFS... most popular is Java Fern, Moss, Anubias Nana,hornwarts, frogbits....the list goes on

NOTES:-
    Anti Chlorine:- is a MUST
    Hygiene: common sense..don't put your oily hands into the tank, use clean pail for water changes
    Cycle the tank prior putting life stocks
    READ READ and READ...

any problem, just ask.. a lot of helpful Mod and members here...welcome to the hobby!!

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

woah! thank you sir SeVenZ, lim_777 and wongce for your fast response! really appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SeVenZ View Post
    crystal clear water? frequent water change i guess.
    filter , if budget allows 2213 is good enough for your application. (seaview has the one with proper media, not just sponge, if im not wrong)
    ecco is alil more expensive but it has a priming handle which ease priming i guess? but 2213 isnt that hard to prime.
    try to get around 24w-36w white light with temperature at around 7000k
    low maintenance plants maybe other bros can help you with it
    substrate , without 2nd thoughts would be ADA Amazonia new.

make sure you cycle the tank before adding any lifestock

hi sir thanks for the reply sir what do you mean by this??? the highlighted words? thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hmm.. priming is like filling up the "filter" with water before you turn the filter on. its an necessary step before a filter can work. same goes with a hang over filter. you must fill it with water than turn it on. on the ecco, this handle does the job for you, instead of sucking on the end of the pipe or using a cup to transfer water into the filter. hope this helps ? you can actually youtube it

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Btw,it's better to spend more on filter, bio media as they are important to a success of the ecosystem of the tank. Some products Claim to be better... The choice is yours...

Priming:- water flows into the canister prior start of the filter. Essential to prim prior starting of motor... The motor can't run dry as it may damage the motor. Hope u get what I meant...haha

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks sir! now i know

btw what do you think is better eheim classic or ecco?? can i still find parts of ecco?? coz i dont know what model of eheim is already phase out

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Btw,it's better to spend more on filter, bio media as they are important to a success of the ecosystem of the tank. Some products Claim to be better... The choice is yours...

Priming:- water flows into the canister prior start of the filter. Essential to prim prior starting of motor... The motor can't run dry as it may damage the motor. Hope u get what I meant...haha

thanks sir! sir just want to ask what do you think is the best media can i use?? what is okay with OHF and cannister??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

maybe you would like to state your budget for your filter before we can adjust you.

To me, whether the external filter have any priming function or not is not a must. Simply place your inlet pipe, switch on your filter and suck your outlet tube and water tank will flow in automatically. To me personally, OHF is not a good filter for 2ft tank as it does not clean up the whole tank. There will be more dead spots in the tank using OHF than canister. 2215 should be enough for your tank. Getting a good filter media is the start of a healthy tank. You can try filling canister half with Biohome and half with ceramic rings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Numbskull View Post
    maybe you would like to state your budget for your filter before we can adjust you.

To me, whether the external filter have any priming function or not is not a must. Simply place your inlet pipe, switch on your filter and suck your outlet tube and water tank will flow in automatically. To me personally, OHF is not a good filter for 2ft tank as it does not clean up the whole tank. There will be more dead spots in the tank using OHF than canister. 2215 should be enough for your tank. Getting a good filter media is the start of a healthy tank. You can try filling canister half with Biohome and half with ceramic rings.
    thanks sir noted!

actually im trying to look for 2215/2217 now.. hope to find good one when it comes to ceramic rings?? what brand do you prefer?? mr.aqua? sera siporax?

and sir what is the difference between biohommes and CR?? thanks

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 21kev View Post
    thanks sir noted!

actually im trying to look for 2215/2217 now.. hope to find good one when it comes to ceramic rings?? what brand do you prefer?? mr.aqua? sera siporax?

and sir what is the difference between biohommes and CR?? thanks
    The usable surface are for BB to grow is different, but not sure who can verify them as all brands will proclaim they are the best. See the fine prints on the box, e.g 2190 sq feet of area for 300g of biohome media, 600m2 for 1 ltr of Mr Aqua sintered glass rings(S)... etc etc...

If you are getting new eihem filters, maybe you should look into the package with medias, eihem media are one of the best in the market, well it depends on individual and budget again...

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

on a budget, a 2213 would suffice, im using it on the same tank as your, and the current is quite strong. 2215 might be of a over kill but that is your choice. as for the media, 1.5litre ceramic rings ( im using sinopore? $6 for 1litre. and the blue sponge and a 2 layer of white wool. my tank is alright with no problems. but its a planted tank.

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    The usable surface are for BB to grow is different, but not sure who can verify them as all brands will proclaim they are the best. See the fine prints on the box, e.g 2190 sq feet of area for 300g of biohome media, 600m2 for 1 ltr of Mr Aqua sintered glass rings(S)... etc etc...

If you are getting new eihem filters, maybe you should look into the package with medias, eihem media are one of the best in the market, well it depends on individual and budget again...
    ahh..ok sir thanks.. im just planning to buy 2ndhand one.. waiting hehe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SeVenZ View Post
    on a budget, a 2213 would suffice, im using it on the same tank as your, and the current is quite strong. 2215 might be of a over kill but that is your choice. as for the media, 1.5litre ceramic rings ( im using sinopore? $6 for 1litre. and the blue sponge and a 2 layer of white wool. my tank is alright with no problems. but its a planted tank.
    ahhh.. some other told me 2213 is not enough because corys and plecos are shitting machines..hehe im a bit confuse..haha but maybe the first one that i will see with good deals.. either 2213,2215 or even 17

thank you soo much for the help sir i really learned a lot and i still need to learn more

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh, okay.. you might have to limit the flowrate on the 2215 thou. whirlpool !~

Low tech tank FTW!