Country
    Singapore

Comments Needed!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all--

Part of my glosso lawn were affected with algae (BBA), near the E. oriental side...

I managed to remove most of it, but I'm thinking might as well redo the entire front glosso lawn so that the growth is more even throughout. Any comments or advise?

Oh yes! should I add another thin level of gravel before I replant? ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BBA

Whats your current PH and KH level. You might want to push your CO2 higher... say about 30mg/l (beware if you have lots of fish)
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

IMO, good idea to replant it all. However, I don't see a point in covering up the existing BBA with new layer of gravel as it will still grow out if conditions are suitable. I've tried that before. Since you've beefed up your CO2 and BBA already dying, I would remove the glosso, and as much BBA-affected gravel as possible, then replant the healthy glosso. It should grow back in time for _________.

I've been fighting the same thing the past weeks and most have died off through increased CO2 and proper water parameter balancing, but there are just those few stubborn spots... so I spot-treated the gravel with a pipette/syringe of hydrogen peroxide. What I did was to poke the syringe about 5mm into the gravel under BBA affected areas and pump in about 0.5ml of hydrogen peroxide. Gravel becomes clean as new in 2 days! It also killed some BGA I had between the glass and gravel. By pumping into the gravel, the hydrogen peroxide works on the BBA and breaks down before it gets swept away by the water circulation. No fish or shrimp loss even though I observed some yamatos and baby guppies fooling around with the bubbles from the chemical reaction.

I'm not sure if there are any long-term effects, so do at your own risk. I have a little bit of spare Lapis gravel. Not sure if I have enough for you. PM me if you need it. Need to keep some for future use as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: BBA

[quote:3d86726ae7="Sleepy_lancs"]Whats your current PH and KH level. You might want to push your CO2 higher... say about 30mg/l (beware if you have lots of fish)[/quote:3d86726ae7]

Havn't take any readings lately, might do that! CO2 already pump up! I guess the trouble start while I was away for about a week plus..manual regulator for CO2... I set the bph at 1 per second... must be the CO2 level fluctuates.

Problem is I will be away for 2 weeks again soon!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c51ac30492="victri"]Hi,

..... What I did was to poke the syringe about 5mm into the gravel under BBA affected areas and pump in about 0.5ml of hydrogen peroxide. Gravel becomes clean as new in 2 days! It also killed some BGA I had between the glass and gravel. By pumping into the gravel, the hydrogen peroxide works on the BBA and breaks down before it gets swept away by the water circulation. No fish or shrimp loss even though I observed some yamatos and baby guppies fooling around with the bubbles from the chemical reaction.[/quote:c51ac30492]
    Mmmm.... As you said, I 'd pump up the CO2...I'd tried hydrogen peroxide before but never applying it into the gravel, I might try that!

[quote:c51ac30492="victri"]
    I have a little bit of spare Lapis gravel. Not sure if I have enough for you. PM me if you need it. Need to keep some for future use as well. [/quote:c51ac30492]
    Will let you know if I need some! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Good luck with that! I'm also going to be away for reservist for 2 weeks next month. CO2 and lights are running off a timer, but need to get the Eheim Liquidoser for fert dosing. Hope that will be good enough. I'll probably only feed the fish and do water change when I get some nights off. Other campmates go drink beer, I go do this... what a life.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Doser

Hahaha.. Its good that you are trying it. Coz I will have to buy it too. Mine is coming up in August. Let me know the outcome. Would you try the auto feeder too?
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Let's not detract too much from his thread topic. I'll let you know how it goes.

I just wanted to point out that in Fei miao's case, it'll be good to invest in timers and solenoid and other auto-equipment if he travels regularly. With 2 weeks neglect, all hell can break loose, and everything you've done so far will be for nothing. Possibly think about converting to low tech tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes... another hole in the pocket

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your tanks are always very spectacular.

It'll be such a pity if things go wrong while you're away.

Things we love usually involve some kind of money outlay somewhere along the line. My dog diarreah just cost me $65 to see vet today... and my car needs oil change... my credit card gonna get swiped till the colour come off.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c701e14ebf="victri"]Your tanks are always very spectacular.

It'll be such a pity if things go wrong while you're away.

Things we love usually involve some kind of money outlay somewhere along the line. My dog diarreah just cost me $65 to see vet today... and my car needs oil change... my credit card gonna get swiped till the colour come off.[/quote:c701e14ebf]

Thanks! guess aquascaping is something I really enjoy doing, and you always learn something new. mmmm.. probably have get a solenoid somtime...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just a update on this tank.. still didn't get the solenoid... but all BBA problem seems gone, I added KH2PO4 as suggested by Juggler....about 1ppm by the end of week. Thanks alot man! didn't realise this element is not in our tap water.

BTW.... also added 2 cigar fish to this tank deal with whatever's leftover...... if they are hardly any BBA, green hair algae left, will these fish starve? :P