Country
    Singapore

(Urgent ) Gex chiller emitting a whistling sound

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi ,
    may any chiller experts diagnose whether there is any fault with a gex chiller emitting a whistling sound during kick in. The chiller kicks in previously without any such sounds,so i am guessing that this might be a signal something might be failing. The sound emitted comes out near the front of the chiller. If there is any concerns with this whistle sound i might have to take precautionary measures before it cronks out totally.This chiller has only been in usage for slightly more than 6 months. Model-gxc-110. Many thanks in advance .
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: (Urgent ) Gex chiller emitting a whistling sound

You should switch it off maybe the compressor gas leaking or somthing come out this sounds you describe

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think i really can..it is still running my setup..will there be very serious harm if it is not switched off?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There are no apparent errors in the display shown..i had went through the troubleshoot using the manual and nothing could explain the whistle sound..everything seem to be working as per normal(normal kick in and out timing) .. air intake is strong, heat output is as usual.
    The sound happens only during kick in..where the sound sounds something between ringing and whistling..near the fins..
    Last edited by reiner09; 18th Mar 2012 at 03:23.
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, have not try Gex chiller before but based on your description, could it be the aircon leak? The place that hold the gas?

Just brainstorm and find the possible error.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If the compressor gas is leaking, it should not be only whistling during kick in.
    I suspect some parts of your radiator fins may be starting to choke and the air being sucked through is making the whistling sound. When did you last clean the fins on the radiator?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    If the compressor gas is leaking, it should not be only whistling during kick in.
    I suspect some parts of your radiator fins may be starting to choke and the air being sucked through is making the whistling sound. When did you last clean the fins on the radiator?
    Hi bro nav, I did not clean the radiator fins ever since it is in service..i merely washed/cleaned the filter mesh once every 2 weeks.I didn't touch the fins as the fins looks very clean ( just like how it looked before it started it's service.)
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any of the fins look bent? It's very easy to bend the fins.
    If you really suspect the compressor to be leaking, your only choice is to service the chiller. However, from my experience with a slow leak, the compressor will empty in less than 3 days and stop working. If you can even hear it, it should be dry by now so I still don't think it's due to a leak.
    Or you can try writin to GEX, their holler design is quite different from the usual china brands so something else could be making that noise.
    Good luck bro.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Any of the fins look bent? It's very easy to bend the fins.
    If you really suspect the compressor to be leaking, your only choice is to service the chiller. However, from my experience with a slow leak, the compressor will empty in less than 3 days and stop working. If you can even hear it, it should be dry by now so I still don't think it's due to a leak.
    Or you can try writin to GEX, their holler design is quite different from the usual china brands so something else could be making that noise.
    Good luck bro.
    Hmm.. bro ,my chiller do not emit the whistle sound anymore.. looks like there isn't any problem, just paranoia on my side.. I don't know if this sound is caused by having air in the chiller, because after giving it a very slight shake, bubbles starts exiting from the rain bar.. then it went back to normal again..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good to hear that bro.
    My chiller was also giving a strange humming sound sometime ago, even when off. Turns out the pump is transmitting vibrations to the chiller via the hose and the "flaps" covering the handles on the sides are rattling and making that hum.