Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Discus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does discus do well in planted tanks and what kind of enviroment do they need ????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Discus are South Amercian Cichlids, they require softwater.. in a planted tank environment where strong light is present, shady areas are recommended. Discus are shy fishes, so you need to provide places for them to hide (plants) avoid having sharp edges as they easily injuried themselves fleeing..

please remember 1 discus per 10 gallon rule, and try not to have too small a tank, best is 4ft with enough swimming space. They are slow feeder as well, so competition among faster, smaller fish will be present.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh ok then what is the ideal tempreture for them????

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Re:

[quote:82cee49db6="clancysg"]Oh ok then what is the ideal tempreture for them????[/quote:82cee49db6]

Nothing below 25 deg.

However you would like to note that many discuses get 'stunted' in planted tanks, due to the lack of water change (read up about maintaining discus) so it's advicable to get adults rather than small ones, unless you intend for them to stay small.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How about heating and stuff ????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    simon, what software do discus need? :P Can i use pirated ones?

i hear discus need precisely 29.87 degrees Celsius or they wither and DIE !!!! But don't take my word for it - why not do a simple search on the Net or buy/borrow a book on discus to find out more?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok then thanks for the advise!!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just to share a bit of my experience.

I have 4 discus in a 4ft planted together with 40 tetras and 6 juv angelfish (some say that discus and angelfish don't mix but I have not problem so far). My discus are ok. I do provide enough swimming space as well as hiding place when I consider my aquascaping and they would just dash into their favourite hiding corner (behind a big driftwood) when they feel treatened.

One thing that I learnt (painstakingly) is that you have to quarantine any new fish that you are going to add to your discus tank esp. angelfish or else your delicated discus would quickly get infected and stressed while the host, which is tougher, is still happily swimming around.