Country
    Singapore

Re: Rocks for Iwagumi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Alas, I didn't quite get that properly done in the end, so no nice showcase picture at the end.
    Trying to resist starting another project now...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Alas, I didn't quite get that properly done in the end, so no nice showcase picture at the end.
    Trying to resist starting another project now...
    Trying to resist?

Oh Nava, remember how it felt when you place your first rock into the aquarium. Ahh..words can't describe the feeling. LOL. remember when the glosso grew so much. The shrimp were walking on them like they were fluffy clouds. Ahh. the joy of watching your NEW project bearing fruit.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just cross my mind. We, rock collectors have been searching all over singapore. Any shops across our causeway? That would be fantastic. Come back home,
    "so honey what are in thise two boxes? Are they for me?"
    "err no they're rocks."
    "what!!! Where's the "keropok" i asked you to get?!"
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you don't mind driving across the causeway for your rocks, there's a very powerful Malaysian Aqua-Scaping forum you can try looking in for people who either have rocks, or knew where to find these rocks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    If you don't mind driving across the causeway for your rocks, there's a very powerful Malaysian Aqua-Scaping forum you can try looking in for people who either have rocks, or knew where to find these rocks.
    Ask Shadow or Stan? they likely to know.

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Just cross my mind. We, rock collectors have been searching all over singapore. Any shops across our causeway? That would be fantastic. Come back home,
    "so honey what are in thise two boxes? Are they for me?"
    "err no they're rocks."
    "what!!! Where's the "keropok" i asked you to get?!"
    carry a box of rocks... not fun. i hand carry one using public transport... really stress..
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Jb you can visit new oasis. KL you can visit Natural Aquatic World. I do not know the exac address, normally go with Malaysian scaper kaki. Actually 70% of my rocks is from overseas.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post

carry a box of rocks... not fun. i hand carry one using public transport... really stress..
    LOL! I don't drive anymore so I know the feeling. Lucky Seaview close to home. You're the only one in an aircon bus sweating. Haha. If auntie accidentally kick the plastic bag...well, you can imagine.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I want to drive but cost of ownership is nuts. Anyways you tried farms? Heard there is mid sized rocks a plenty.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    I want to drive but cost of ownership is nuts. Anyways you tried farms? Heard there is mid sized rocks a plenty.
    Ya, I'm not among the rich and right now I don't have any personal debts and I would like to keep it that way for now. Once I get a house, then I will think about owning a car.

You mean Seaview and Mainland? These are the main two that I go to. You're going GC today aren't you? Good luck on the rock hunting. Bring the pickaxe.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

GC today not open hor.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    GC today not open hor.
    Is it? How come? Sorry I'm uncertain of their operating hours.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is it? How come? Sorry I'm uncertain of their operating hours.
    Wednesday not open... i dislike going too far... i live NA that area...

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cool. So I think my plan for next Saturday will be Seaview, NA, c328 and then GC. Phew! That's a lot to cover.

Any other good place to hunt for rocks to put on that list above?
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NA do not have alot of large rocks. Small to mid sizes.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cool. So I think my plan for next Saturday will be Seaview, NA, c328 and then GC. Phew! That's a lot to cover.

Any other good place to hunt for rocks to put on that list above?
    Bro, I feel your pain. I've also been always hunting for rocks whenever I see a pile. It really takes the longest time to find the right one, even at times buying some home, placing them up and realised that they're not the ones you want. Even then, friends and family will start to laugh at you for paying so much for pieces of rocks.

It's all about your feeling, a good eye, and a lot of luck. I've been to the extend of buying the similar types of rocks and breaking them down to smaller pieces, probably only 1 of 20 resulting pieces breaks into a natural shape you can use.

Lucky for me I happen to be at GC during the earlier weeks when they just bought in their rocks, and I lugged those 8kg/piece huge babies back home from west to east.. I don't even dare to tell anyone I spent $8/kg on them, but like diamonds in the rough. Right place, right scape, you'll find it all worth while when they fit so perfectly in your tank. so take your time to look and "feel" for the right ones, and if you are using them in the same tank remember to buy the same type of rocks. Some rocks has so much dust on them, they'll look completely different after washing and submerged. Never rush to finish up a scape.

I never once seen any rocks at C328, polyart and petmart that I could use, I got mine mostly from GC, Seaview & Y618. NA only got small seiryu rocks, hardly anything promising, more of dragon rocks there. But like I said, all depends on luck and a good eye.

Good Luck!! oh and, I don't think any scaper here will pass up a good rock in his possession They always sell one ones they would never use haha!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jovel View Post
    Bro, I feel your pain. I've also been always hunting for rocks whenever I see a pile. It really takes the longest time to find the right one, even at times buying some home, placing them up and realised that they're not the ones you want. Even then, friends and family will start to laugh at you for paying so much for pieces of rocks.

It's all about your feeling, a good eye, and a lot of luck. I've been to the extend of buying the similar types of rocks and breaking them down to smaller pieces, probably only 1 of 20 resulting pieces breaks into a natural shape you can use.

Lucky for me I happen to be at GC during the earlier weeks when they just bought in their rocks, and I lugged those 8kg/piece huge babies back home from west to east.. I don't even dare to tell anyone I spent $8/kg on them, but like diamonds in the rough. Right place, right scape, you'll find it all worth while when they fit so perfectly in your tank. so take your time to look and "feel" for the right ones, and if you are using them in the same tank remember to buy the same type of rocks. Some rocks has so much dust on them, they'll look completely different after washing and submerged. Never rush to finish up a scape.

I never once seen any rocks at C328, polyart and petmart that I could use, I got mine mostly from GC, Seaview & Y618. NA only got small seiryu rocks, hardly anything promising, more of dragon rocks there. But like I said, all depends on luck and a good eye.

Good Luck!! oh and, I don't think any scaper here will pass up a good rock in his possession They always sell one ones they would never use haha!
    Hey bro Jovel,

Thanks for sharing! Like listening to other's experiences. It's nice and you get to learn. So I guess, I give NA a rain check.

The problem with trying iwagumi is that you need the right rocks. The layout you have in mind. You may get a piece of a fantastic rock but your supporting rocks, the second and the third one needs to be of the same tone and provide that focal point. I see sometimes, aquarist do more than 2 focal points and its distracting. Golden ratio, blah blah blah. But for me, it's the feel. The flow When I look at the aquarium, the first thing that draws me is the focal point. One focal point. The flow should imitate that of nature.You never want it to look "fake" Been checking out images of nature online. And I am totally mind blown. And you are so right about the tone. Looks the same when dry. Wet its a different story

Some people are born "artiste" and they figure out the layout in their head. For me, I spend hours!! The last I spend at Seaview was more than 2 hours! Won't give up. Will keep on searching.

By the way, the yishun one is it in front of Khoo Teck Fuat Hospital? The uncle is really friendly.
    VSGenesis

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Haha bro VSG,i spend 4 hours at seaview flipping rocks n DW before...lol..it seens i am less artistic than you...lol

Seiryu rocks are quite rare, most lfs and farms are selling those black rocks with
    occasional white veins,lava rocks and dragon rocks...

The yishun lfs near KTP hosp is aquastar. Y618 is near khatib mrt. Both of them have limited rocks supply for selection..
    Last edited by wongce; 22nd Mar 2012 at 08:10.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hey bro Jovel,

Thanks for sharing! Like listening to other's experiences. It's nice and you get to learn. So I guess, I give NA a rain check.

The problem with trying iwagumi is that you need the right rocks. The layout you have in mind. You may get a piece of a fantastic rock but your supporting rocks, the second and the third one needs to be of the same tone and provide that focal point. I see sometimes, aquarist do more than 2 focal points and its distracting. Golden ratio, blah blah blah. But for me, it's the feel. The flow When I look at the aquarium, the first thing that draws me is the focal point. One focal point. The flow should imitate that of nature.You never want it to look "fake" Been checking out images of nature online. And I am totally mind blown. And you are so right about the tone. Looks the same when dry. Wet its a different story

Some people are born "artiste" and they figure out the layout in their head. For me, I spend hours!! The last I spend at Seaview was more than 2 hours! Won't give up. Will keep on searching.

By the way, the yishun one is it in front of Khoo Teck Fuat Hospital? The uncle is really friendly.
    Join us at GC this sat morning. then you can flip rocks :P
    if my gf knows i buy rocks more then $30 no matter the size... i think i can sleep on the floor..

Semi-Active currently

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Felix,you will sleep at corridor together with your HC and glosso pots...haha

Update me if there is any good rocks or DW..

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah... non aquascapers will never understand why we spend so much on rocks (or wood) for the matter. My colleagues saw me come back with rocks and ask me why don't go Bukit Timah and pick.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast