Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rocks for Iwagumi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    VEGenesis, even if you have finish iwa your tank, you should consider collecting some stones, for me, I am a DW guy. I still have several pieces of DW wrap in newspaper and carefully stored them in my storeroom. When I need to scape it, I will bring all of them out for check which is most suitable. Then they get little hot water bath and laid to wind dry again. Thereafter, I would use new newspaper to re-wrap them, tape them up or even rubber band them. It is okay if rubber band snap, because by then, most likely would be the next maintenance cycle again.

So do plan for some casual collecting along the way. It isn't absolute and don't have to be regular event, just at will and follow your heart and most importantly your pocket. : >

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Heya Blue Whale,

Yup! Definitely a good idea. I am actually collecting rocks. I have yet to reach Shadow's one store room fill with rocks yet but I do have a small collection right now. I would say can be use for a 1 to 2 ft tank iwagumi?

Just a side question. When it comes to rocks, I wash them with tap water and then I place them in my pail and pour hot boiling water for 24 hours. (Use to do this) I don't know why I do it. In my insane mind, I ain't sure what I was thinking.

Then with driftwood, same thing. Except that after 2 hours I throw the used to be boiling water and add another boiling water to the pail. I keep doing this till either I forget or I fall asleep. 24 hrs later then I use them and set it up. (PS: Used water are not actually thrown, it is use for my mom's plants along the corridor plus to wash the corridor.)

Okay maybe if I am right, I am trying to do that so it won't leak tannins. Right? For the rocks I don't really know. Kill germs? Muahaha. What the heck? Is it necessary to pour them hot boiling water to both my rocks and driftwood? I mean I'm sure the driftwood been bleech right? So question is, is it necessary for me to be pouring boiling water to both rocks and driftwood? And if indeed it has some positive thing to it, can i just pour the hot water, wait 3hours and start using them? Someone tase me!!

Darn. I "kena" poison until I dream about danios in my tank. Keke.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay...basically I do not follow the so-called dip the DW into Hot Boiling water for 24hr, etc. etc. I do not follow EI in terms to dosing either. Neither do I follow the instruction on the Seachem bottles or the Seachem calculator (worst). In a 2ft setup, there is very very little room for error. A tiny bit out and boom! goes the algae or Die! goes the fish or Die! goes the plant.

For DW, I use Boiling Hot Water in the toilet. First place the target piece near to the water hole, not over it. Pour the water over the DW, then turn it. Careful being burnt by the water. If got algae or fungus, they get toasted immediately. Hence I do not set a wait time. You should smell some boiled vegetables from the algae. Cooling can be done with normal tap water. No need to dechlorinate the water. Shake the DW a bit. Idea here is turn the DW and pour the water until you cover as best as close to 100% of the DW as possible. If you are scared of getting your feet burnt, wear slippers, get a good pair which covers the front. $2-6 type of slipper will do. Wood are re-used immediately into the tank after the tap water cooling method. No wait time. Cooked veget are eaten by the fishes or snails or simply floats out to be filtered by the filter. (Don't waste it, think of the African kids - no food)

T5HO do not work for me either. Hence I would use Clip type Bulb E27 Holder X2. Both connected to Timer Switch. Philips Genie 8W (40W) Energy Saving Cool Daylight Bulb. Operation life is 8000hrs. Consider you operate 8hrs per day, it could last you 1000 days or 2yrs 38 weeks before you need replacement. Okay, more on the bulb itself, 6500K Coolight, 415 Lumen, 52 Im/W. So you see...low heat, right light spectrum. Oh I added a third holder for a LED Light which shines 24/7, to prevent my parents from knocking into the tank at night....again...when they go toilet at night.

I have a syringe which can measure by ml. Problem is even 5ml markings can be difficult to grasp hence I gave up and always fill the syringe and count by drops. I have flourish, say 1 drop, maximum 2 drops after water change or without water change. Rest like Seachem Nitrogen, Trace Element, Iron, etc. simply just measure by drop. So now the parameters hardly goes out. I don't get a boom suddenly, plants grows not at frantic rate but moderate rate with bright green color, fish happy, plant happy, I happy and my two nieces dances around them always wide open asking what fish is this, what plants is that...

End of the day I think it is what Chinese TCM said: Balance.

I do read about those thingy on tannins, and I do think those are methods for treating new wood. Mine ain't new wood, they are saved over time and constantly re-used and treated hence I do not have the worry for tannins. All of them comes in deep dark wood color, closer to black so you can imagine how Lao Jiao (Old Bird) those wood are.

The only time I would use Bleach is when I am cleaning very stubborn algae from the filter, or tubes or pipes. I certainly don't use hot water + bleach together. In this case, I would not only wash thoroughly the equipments but also my hands and feets. Once in a blue moon, not always doing this. For a non-chemistry person like me, I certainly just use my own methods, I don't follow the crowd. The law here is still: If it ain't spoilt, don't fix it. Regular maintenance of equipment and tanks is a must for all fishy people. You cannot skip this....got retribution...ha ha...
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 28th Mar 2012 at 22:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Muahaha!! Thanks for taking the time to write that bro. The last time i got lazy, i just dump the driftwood into hot water and rinse off with tap water.

You just mentioned something that has been on mind actually. 12k tubes wont help. I do have aquazonic t5 4x49w. I was going to seaview to ask them of any chances of other tubes with 6500k to fix it on. Possible?
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

12k can grow plants, who said cannot? Check what is the difference between 6500K ~ 12000K and the range of spectrum that is being emitted. Feed you with info, i rather you find and absorb.
    Ask a very funny question, if only 6500k can grow plants what about farms using the sun to grow?

Anyway, how come now is become rinse driftwood? Lol...
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dunno. I do the weird stuffs. I think this is due to some years back when I bought some cardinal. Bought it from an lfs in the east. You know those neighbourhood ones. And well, after one day, my other fish started to have ich and all cardinal look like they have chicken pox. From then onwards, anything bought, I go through this riduculous thing to ensure whatever I place into my tank will not lead to contamination. I told you I need to be tase. No worries mate. I prefer reading. It's only when I get contradicting reports/info from two sources, then I will ask.

Prep tank right now. Cleaning it but I left the freaking transparent wrap at work to cover top.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lighting topic very good to read
    The info and tech never ends, for me general understanding is good enough. Led too chim and costly lol.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't go there bro. I almost wanted to buy Beamswork but I think the money can be put for better use.

The Aquazonic I purchase a few months ago is the t5 4x39w 12k I did some research on it but can't get the whole spec for the tubes. One thing I'm sure of its not actinic blue. That's good since actinic blue is for salt water. If we're using wpg, I'm getting 3wpg. Though wpg is just a basic guide. I'm not gonna go nuts on about it. Will use it and see how the plants do.

1 more day to pay day!!!! Okay obvious reasons right why Saturday I will be going on a shopping spree. LOL. Can't use savings so guys like me have to wait for pay day.

PS; Still waiting for blueplanet to revert if they have a fresh batch of rocks this saturday.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1 set of light + holder is about $7.5, holder was 4.5, current price 6.5 . Less heat and energy saving. I will save the part on tap water always cost algae complain...ha ha...

led expensive?I picked up a led bulb for about $5, textile centre, house of mouse, computer shop.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not saying beamworks, It's another set cost more then beamworks. :P

ATM, my resource still only for rocks and my outdoor tanks. Still headache no scheduled time for looking for rocks.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Headache? Next week long weekend. Can turn stones till cows comes home.

For outdoor? What ya getting?
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Headache? Next week long weekend. Can turn stones till cows comes home.

For outdoor? What ya getting?
    Changing stands and extension for my mini farm

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking about rocks, which are the rocks we could use for scaping but does not affect the parameters of the water?

Still thinking on doing a iwa scape for my shrimps but hesitating about the effects of rocks on the water parameters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm. Not a rock expert. So testing the batch you brought home is important. I did test on the rocks on mine after 2 hours and the PH level was constant at 7 even after 2 other checks at 2 hour interval.

But specifically, I do know seiryu will alter your Ph level. So you need to prepare.

Other than that, make sure get one type of rocks with same tone for your iwagumi. Iwagumi takes a lot of patient. Why patient, because the darn rocks are so hard to get!!!! LOL You can have one good looking rock and later find the rest of your rocks don't match its tone when underwater. Haha. Test GH as well. Some guys use vinegar. If there's foam it probably contains calcium. For obvious reasons, avoid limestone. Don't go ubin and bring home some rocks. LOL.

Read more into iwagumi. See more nature pictures to get inspiration. To be honest I don't follow the golden ratio or the rules of third. I just do it base on my own "feelings" what looks nice. But it does help to read, understand and get your ideas from nature. Good luck. Do post a journal if you do. Would love to see how you did yours. Here's a link for iwagumi http://www.leonardosreef.com/guide-to-iwagumi/
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

GC Uncle Ron got a way to test rock, he simply takes the rock and throw on the floor when I ask him whether Lava Rock is Brittle or not.

But generally it's the same with buying DW, you would want similar or same color type, Rock with beautiful face, Sexy Curve line, Unique face, etc.
    Iwagum isn't entirely on stone but also involved Aquascaping so here is another article to read on:
    http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...s-introduction

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That one is only for you lol. If I knew I would have taken a picture of your face back then.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wohooo!! Day coming to an end! Tomorrow shopping spree!! Wish me luck! To those flipping rocks at GC; i plea please leave some for me. When i say some, leave a lot. Looking at 10 to 20kg! Muahahaha!!! If you find a huge rock at chinese garden missing, its not me.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so what time you be there? Will I get to see you? lol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Go go. 20kg!!! Roland will be happy.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You will be there for the talk?

I'll be heading down only after my gf's medical check up. She was anaemic months ago and hospitalised for a week. It's just those routine checkups. Appointment at 10, so I'll be there at GC around 12?

I have to give the talk a miss. Will be rushing. Spending 1-2 hours at GC. 1 hour at C328 and then back to East side. So if you see a Malay guy and a chinese looking girlfriend, ya that's me. Haha.

GC: To purchase additives, rocks and possibly bogwood or driftwood. Checking on gex fan as well. If price okay will get it. Indicative price i know but just want to see if it's cheaper. Chiller have to wait till May or June.
    C328: ADA aquasoil powder and maybe that nile sand. Both meant for top. Nile sand to form a road sort of thing. Still experimenting.

Any good check valve there that is not crazily overpriced?

Going back east to put the stuffs down and then head down to Seaview. To purchase JBJ regulator, check valves, 3l co2 and eheim filter. I have yet to decide on the filter. Was actually looking at 2028 but rumours has it that its no longer in production or no longer on the shelf. If don't have then i'll go with pro. I know you will recommend me classic but I'm giving the other series a shot.

Return home and do some scapping. If time permits then I will head down yishun or seaview to buy the plants. For saturday Mainland has a number of plants there too. So will see if I can squeeze everything. If scapping takes a while then plants on Sunday. P

It seems when I buy plants from certain lfs or farm, must disinfect them first. Snails and might lead to possible contamination. So better be safe than sorry. Do anyone use regular bleech? You know soak for under a minute and rinse with water? I know I am "sibei" kiasu but better safe then sorry.

For fish after cycling; in May will get Cardinals, Rummy Nose, Celestial. These are the three I'm thinking about. Quantity wise not yet do the maths. On top of my head, it's 50 Cardinals, 50 Rummy Nose and 6 Celestial. Seem over crowded. If so, I will place the rest into my other tank. Other fish or shrimps yet to decide. Slowly first for the rest.

Important thing is my water parameters are okay after 1 month cycling. My HC don't melt and there are some growth for the plants.

Yes I have been poison! LOL!!

PS: Anyone realise? Those without chiller. That the temperature has increase by 1C even during the night. My last check showed me 28C constant. Checks done at 12am, 2am, 4am. Hate this. My temp has always been 26.5-27. Darn weather!!
    VSGenesis

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast