Country
    Singapore

Rocks for Iwagumi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

As part of the setup that I am doing, I am trying to gather rocks which is essentially the focal point of the aquarium. Staying in Punggol/Sengkang, I frequent Yishun, Mainland and Seaview only.

They do have rocks but not the ones I am looking for. If and when possible, would someone please alert me (on this thread itself) and fellow members who are themselves finding these rocks? Just keep an eye out for us when you head down to purchase stuffs from the LFS. I am specifically looking for Seiryu rocks.

I am extremely tempted to purchase an L size rock from Mizu (20-30cm 3-4kg) but the fear the rocks might not be the ones I am looking for. If too desperate I might buy two large ones and give it a go and see what I get.

I have tried google but it's all overseas. US seems to get a good supply of this rocks. There are reports stating Seiryu rocks are ban from being mine in 2008 but I am pretty sure there are reserves.

Further to that, to those who have this rocks and are looking to dispose of them, please do take a pic with measurement of the rocks and place it in Ads. You may never know the rocks you have; you might have a willing buyer for it. (concrete rocks not included)

I'm wondering if any of the LFS in Singapore do look into this. Finding a supplier and then sell it to the market here.

Anyway, in conclusion, the main purpose for this thread
    - is to find other aquarist who are into iwagumi.
    - to share some thoughts and ideas on it.
    - to find out if any LFS are ordering such rocks
    - contribution from members to alert us if they see these rocks

Thanks for reading my lengthy thread.

Cheers.

IMG_0983.jpg Attachment 29504 5RockIwagumi.jpg
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You might want to check out the recent reviews. Rock batches change from time to time basis and the tone of the rocks may not be constant.

Look in aquascaping section for people doing rock arrangement people. You might need to go back many pages to see go they are.

GC currently has some big rocks. Went there but my pocket too empty haha.

One of the arrangement you attach is good. Your current tank?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rocks for Iwagumi

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    You might want to check out the recent reviews. Rock batches change from time to time basis and the tone of the rocks may not be constant.

Look in aquascaping section for people doing rock arrangement people. You might need to go back many pages to see go they are.

GC currently has some big rocks. Went there but my pocket too empty haha.

One of the arrangement you attach is good. Your current tank?
    Heya felix,

Thanks. I've been spending hours going through threads in AQ since I first joined. I'll seek out the thread you mentioned. I watched one of the mods doing iwagumi before and it looks good.

Ahh..GC. The one in Clementi. Pretty far for me though (Punggol/Sengkang) I don't mind dropping by from time to time. Pocket empty? Just like me, must wait till next week. My gf will kill me if I use our savings. Haha. I plan to do some exploring next Saturday to get my canister and jbj regulator, so I might look for rocks as well. Might drop by Clementi to check things out. Will update with pictures if any.

As for the attachment, nope, I wish they were mine. My setup is more or less there. Only thing missing are them rocks. So while I wait, doing some reading and watching them artist at work doing their iwagumi. Picking up ideas. More or less have mine.

PS: Your farming is great. I tried but then at the last minute, I changed. Those four pots I bought from Daiso are being planted with something else. Nope, not aquatic plants. I plan "chilli padi" and cucumber instead!!! LOL!!!! Maybe I update in a couple of months with pictures on their growth too. Maybe put on ads. Selling: Chilli Padi. We challenge who's got the best farm. Muahahaha.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice layout and rocks you have.

Am also looking for nice rocks. Maybe can organise a rock hunting trip.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hk75 View Post
    Nice layout and rocks you have.

Am also looking for nice rocks. Maybe can organise a rock hunting trip.
    Sadly not mine bro. Just put them to show members what's a Seiryu rock and how they look in a tank.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Love this rocks (Unzan stone), found in U tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJeIFIvvJ24&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Searching for rocks or wood takes the longest time in setting up a scape. Take your time to visit LFS and pick slowly if there is no urgency. There are some members (i think Shadow) who has a huge collection of rocks/woods accumulated over time so they can pick and choose. Even if you order online from mizuworld, you can roughly tell Ben what you want... or ask him to pick the ugliest rock.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro,you might want to go around farms in pasir ris farm way? Not sure for seiryu rocks though...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Love this rocks (Unzan stone), found in U tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJeIFIvvJ24&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Very brave of them to put the rocks without any supports or cushions directly on the bare glass bottom.

Oh, since we're at it, if anyone sees any ADA Yamaya stones 山谷石 locally, please let me know

The last rock in this link
    http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/material/index.php

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rocks are the hard part. Not just money alone can solve but also need luck. Digging the fourm is endless, you'll stumble on threads you didn't even know that existed every now and then.

Actually for those who has more cash to spend. They tend to buy a small bulk of rocks at once from a batch. Their more likely to be of similar tone.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@ Navanod, will look out for you. Didn't I have these rocks? Hmm. Will check. Is it grey with a bit of whitish lines on it. Place into water, it retains it's colour instead of being darker grey?

Like this?
    Attachment 29505

Will look out for you. Thought I saw them at Seaview.

@ wongce, Mainland or the one near to ericsson pet farm? If Mainland, the last I went, no seiryu rocks.

@ zonkkie , he can help us with that? Like I want a Seiryu rock and pointed at the top. Two of those as the "peak" and I just let him know? It's about 17 bucks for 3-4kg. I don't mind purchasing 3 if he can really help.

Haha. Ya, the rocks are a lot harder. If you want driftwood, I saw loads of them at Seaview. Bogwoods are there too.

For one, the rocks must be the same kind. They may look the same but once you place in water, you'll realise one turns darker and the other one maintains.

Or if you want. Do this.
    1) Get aquasoil
    2) Nile sand or gravel. (Place like a pathway from front to back)
    3) Have a dead bongsai tree? Place on "hill"
    4) Moss put on tree.
    5) Some mini rocks to place on path

"Wah lah!" Saw this somewhere before.

Shadow got this?
    ee19e081.jpg

One whole box!!!
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Its Amano, he don't care about tank scratch
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Those who watch the video, they use a orange pad to hold the soil at the rear, what is that pad?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

this rock look like manten rock, I have those, very expensive though $9-$10 per kg. Last time only Biotop sell it, not sure now since Biotop is closed.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro shadow, heard u got plenty rocks, can go your house flip rocks. Haha

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

people collect stamps and I thought that was lame when I was a kid. Now I'm collecting rocks. Have a feeling by next month, I will have a box full of rocks. and then 80% cannot use. LOL. Oh well, keep searching mate. Finding the elusive rocks. Okay someone open a boutique here solely selling rocks pleaase. LOL. Open one and showcase them like gold.

"Yes sir, all seiryu rocks are on that shelf. Here's an aquarium for you to see how they'll look. All rocks sold cannot be return sir. The price of rocks have gone up sir. We are facing major shortage of rocks. Hence the price now is $10/kg"
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Those who watch the video, they use a orange pad to hold the soil at the rear, what is that pad?
    No idea but I think just go art store or daiso, find something to hold the sand. That's it. It's the back part so no one will see anyway.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

this rock look like manten rock, I have those, very expensive though $9-$10 per kg. Last time only Biotop sell it, not sure now since Biotop is closed.
    I posted the wrong image. Yes, that's a manten. The cost of Yamaya stones ain't exactly cheap either, about $7per kg from Biotope too. I think I saw $40+HKD per kg recently when I was at "Goldfish street".

Maybe I should just give up on the Yamaya. The only reason I got them was because Biotope assured me this is the most inert of all their rocks, and I was planning to keep shrimps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh well, the quest continues then.

PS: Love the Nav's Iwagumi attempt "Greater Heights" Nicely done.
    VSGenesis

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast