2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY a way to prevent water droplet sprays from bursting bubbles

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Fishes gulp air from the surface and also swim through bubble streams. OHF typically creates alot of fine bubbles when the water gets dumped back into the tank from height.
    We also inject CO2 as a fine bubble mist in planted tanks. Waterfalls? Glass catfish hangs out at the base of waterfalls.

If it was detrimental to fishes, I'm sure some kind of SOP or guide would've mentioned this by now? Hence, I'm very skeptical about this claim. I'll observe my fishes and shrimps and see if they do react to the micro-bubbles.

Maybe we should have a Myth Buster team? Haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen fine bubbles being stuck on the mucous of the fish before but so far, no issues. Some of my Corys have sand particles on their scutes after rooting for food and they don't mind it either.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I heard somewhere it is said that tiny micro air bubbles suspended in water may not be good for some fish's gills because they may be lodged in the gills and clog them up and that will interfere with their natural breathing apparatus.

I tend to believe that wholly, since I reasoned that, since fish breathe only oxygen which is dissolved in water but not suspended in it. Except Bettas and air breathers of course. Any other helpful views?
    Bro, heard somewhere? Some fish? Would be nice if you could tell us exactly where and what fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Please refer to this article:- http://oxyedge-chum.com/diffuser,_oxygen_bubbles.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
    Bro, heard somewhere? Some fish? Would be nice if you could tell us exactly where and what fish.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe we can set up and provide a reflexology service for fish, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    I've seen fine bubbles being stuck on the mucous of the fish before but so far, no issues. Some of my Corys have sand particles on their scutes after rooting for food and they don't mind it either.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I noticed that this article refers to water so full of bubbles that it looks milky.
    That's as good as having a >50% air volume in the water.

Imagine being stuck in a room where >50% of the air is displaced by a very thick water mist. We'll also start drowning.

At the same time, they are referring to pure O2 bubbles, pumped into the bags during transport of fishes.

I think they're talking about something similar to this

Actually, to have such fine bubbles direct from an air-bar/stone, the water will have to be very dense, i.e salt water. Such bubbles will also remain suspended much longer than in fresh water, likely leading to the milky looking water.
    In freshwater, most of the micro bubbles will head to the surface, and will float around abit before popping. It's not possible to generate this amount of micro bubbles from a single air-stone in fresh water.

As for oxygen toxicity, it's almost impossible in a normal aquarium.
    Firstly, the bubbles from airpumps are not pure oxygen.
    Secondly, in high tech planted tanks, the plants commonly starts pearling when the amount of dissolved oxygen that the water can hold is maxed out. Since no more oxygen can dissolved, they form pure O2 bubbles on the leaves and slowly floats up.
    The amount of dissolve oxygen the water can hold is determined by temperature. The cooler the water, the more it can hold. At the moment, I have not heard of anyone who lost livestocks in a planted tank due to oxygen saturation at the temperature that we maintain our fishes in.

In summary, the article is referring to the practice where excessive pure oxygen bubbles are injected into sealed bags of saltwater during transport of marine fishes to the extent that the bag is saturated with bubbles and turns milky. This would not happen in a normal freshwater (or even saltwater) aquarium.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I suppose you are right. I used to be an oxygen fan. I loved to splash water into my tank from my high overhead filter in order to maximise oxygenation of the water. But since the day I discovered the excellence of external hang-on filters, I no more believe in 'splashing', or bubbling with air, as I found appropriately-sized hang-on filters excellent for this purpose I have in mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You still brought up a good point. Moderation is key (not the moderator kind!). I'm sure there'll some crazy chap out there who would saturate the tank with 28 air-stones and bubble the living daylights out of his shrimps from a Hi-Blow.

I'm the reverse of you tetra bro. I can't stand the noise and splashes from OHF and bubbling with air-stone and sponge. That's the entire reason why this thread was started. Apparently, the splash guards also reduced the noise by a very large margin.
    Airpumps have their advantages. They do not dump additional heat load into the tank and 1 pump can service many partitions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I swear by hang-on filters for aeration. I only use air pumps to create water movement if needed, but never for aeration.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oei, come back a bit. Consider modifying a square food container. two holes top, at a side, not direct top. bottom hollow. Makes a better housing than a bottle. Air stone need good one. air pump - any pump you have.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, OT very far!

Blue whale bro, define "good" airstone?
    I did consider a square food container. But the part above water will be fairly large to catch all the bubbles wouldn't it? Unless you speak of emulating the TOTTO box?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good Airstone are not those cheapo type where the bubble are big big one, nor the long tube type but like the totto one which can emit fine bubbles, don't have to be mist type.

Coming back to the design of totto, what they have done is correct. If you open on top, then wouldn't it be the same as you do not have a container? So it make sense to make the opening at the front side facing the water. If you open the side facing the glass/plastic, then it again defeat the purpose as it will make a lot of watermark there. How about side of the container? Looking at how you attach to side of the tank, it seems only logical that the front side is the best area to release the air and water droplets back to the tank without creating a whirlpool (Logic is the opening to be above water level).

Now normal rectangle food container comes in different height, so choose the one that is the most flat, about 2cm or use one section of your finger (Phalanges, 3 section or 3 phalanges on one finger), that would be a good guide. Don't you think?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

AYE! totto airstone looks so much like the big brother of the UP brand diffuser...
    btw, from bubbles to air stone... what happen to the DIY instead of paying for the work? (lol after paying for the sleek toy all forget?)
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    AYE! totto airstone looks so much like the big brother of the UP brand diffuser...
    btw, from bubbles to air stone... what happen to the DIY instead of paying for the work? (lol after paying for the sleek toy all forget?)
    Actually totto Bubble Stopper is a DIY Kit. Except that they prepare everything for you so you do not have to hunt for the materials seperately. ^^Y Since I got one mini, I can tell you if you want beauty, simply go down to GC or goto GC online shop to order one. Why did I say it's a DIY kit? Because you still need to assemble the parts given to you. Especially the middle tube to the rubber tube takes a bit of skill there (Don't cut yourself okay?).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ding Ding, after a good bathe, got ideas again. Okay, remember those plastic cover for fish tank? 1 piece, 1 $2 hand saw (New blade please), 1 Silicone gun, 1 Electric Drill. Okay holes don't have to be square, it can be rounded. Now the 4 piece are the easier to cut but dimension must be precise. The top piece should be the most difficult one because you need to drill through to put the air tube and the air stone. To hang the container, you can have holes which you use thick binding wires to bend a hook to hook it to the side of the tank walls...stainless steel binding wire of course. ^o^ Ho Ho...so for those hand itchy people, now you have something to really work on liao...ha ha...^^" I would still go and buy one, lazy to make one.

Okie, in my little mind, the difficult part is the top piece. It can break during drilling hence use a small drill bit instead of large sized ones. So do not throw away the extra ones yet, as you might need to make a 2nd piece.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is that not what i mention to you? it's a all done item for those who lazy DIY and rather pay to get the effect and maybe some anesthetic value at the same time.
    Don't agree with you saying DIY kit, when alot of stuff come not assembled but already manufactured to fit. You tired from work? :P
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very tired bro..ha ha...

PC parts are also pre-fabricated but people still consider it DIY at times. I guess it is just perspective. : )
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 26th Mar 2012 at 21:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to know if an airstone will be good and produce finer bubbles bro?
    Unless the shop nice enough to let me try there, its quite difficult. So far, I got mostly crappy ones that either break apart or just had big bubbles coming out of a few spot on the stone.
    Yes, I agree that the TOTTO's airstone is goooooood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

blue, grey, green break. white like totto don't break so easily, another is woody type.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha! White is difficult to procure though.
    And wood is just a pain to work with as it floats and is frankly quite ugly after sometime

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast