Country
    Singapore

Re: Maintaining Temperature

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    I did saw once over at boon lay village, the hardware shop's on pre renovation promotion, selling those big containers less than 20 bucks. Got a couple of them. Wanna buy but no transport le Good for holding lots of water I suppose
    That is far!!! I goto Japan House look see look see first. :>

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Libertys are great ideas for maintaining lower temperature, I believe the lower wattage helps that cause. 3 of my 2' tanks are running 2042 x 2 and 2041 x 1 do remember to change the carbon pad once a month. Does Polyart stock the 2042?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Cannot la, atleast for now no space and budget hahaha
    space sure can find, budget on the other hand is a real problem... 2211 maybe ?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@ Felix. I give up. Firstly, the humidity in my room is bad. Living on the third floor is bad. Mom scared of heights and being in a lift for too long. What to do?

Anyway, you cannot compare your corridor tanks to the ones in the house bro. Outside at night sure to be cooler. I have 2 fans for my own bed which both are now aimed at the tank! LOL.

Recording the temperature on a daily basis. Recordings taken 4-6 hours apart.
    Afternoon and in the evening. I don’t take in morning as it’s usually the coolest.

March Observation
    Digital thermometer was placed on the front of the tank.

Dymax Vortex cooling fan was used and operated 24/7.

Fluval C4 Filter was used.

Temperature reading average: 27.5C (I can live with that without chiller)
    Highest at 28.1C and lowest at 27C.

April Observation (After Rescape)
    Digital thermometer was placed at the back of the tank.

ANS 3000 cooling fan & Dymax Vortex cooling fan was used and operated 24/7.

Eheim Pro 3 2073 was installed as the main filter.
    Fluval C4 was reinstalled on day four as on day two had cloudy water. Most likely due to me not washing the Pro Substrate properly. Fluval had the carbon filtration so water cleared within 24hours.

CO2 as also installed at 3-4bps

Temperature reading average: 28.1C
    Highest at 29.6C and lowest at 27.5C

Conclusion
    I heavily doubt that the removal of the CO2 is the factor. The highest record was on Saturday at 29.6C. (Quickly did water change) Unless, I am wrong here about CO2 being a factor.

I believe two factors have caused this.
    One is my placement of the thermometer.
    Secondly the Fluval is right above it. The motor is not hot but it’s warm. Nonetheless, I’m sure it contributes to the spike.

In summary, to stop myself from worrying for my livestock (in future when I add them) and allow me to focus more on other details of the tank; someone please sell me your chiller next month!! LOL! Poor chap, cannot afford brand new. =( and I don't have air conditioner either. Help? LOL.

Water changing is fine but water topping up is a different story. The evaporation is quite high.

Priority No 1 - 1x Chiller by end of the month.
    Priority No 2 - Find more rocks.
    Priority No 3 - Secret.

PS: Is Blue Whale still talking about totto?
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nope VS, I am not talking about it. I own one each...XD lol...the bubble stopper and filter.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    space sure can find, budget on the other hand is a real problem... 2211 maybe ?
    When the time comes, i think i invest in 2213 instead. Better space and flow rate. Used to buy them alot.. and sell them also

@ Cherabin - I think they do stock. I didnt had the time to see and survey. I was rushing (mom and dad came along) and so i saw the 2041 and grabbed it asap.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I test liberty later on. As long as motor out of tank, low wattage means less heat and more friendly on bills. Electricity bill is rising fast, should look into this. Even if Gex last just 1 yr, still cost effective.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    I test liberty later on. As long as motor out of tank, low wattage means less heat and more friendly on bills. Electricity bill is rising fast, should look into this. Even if Gex last just 1 yr, still cost effective.
    So far test subject so good. Took off the fan for a while during this test, and my ambient temperature dropped to 27 flat. once I on back the fan

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

With the fan running 24/7, my lowest temperature recorded as of this morning at about 0645hrs measured 26C flat. Still cannot go below that.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xXXXx13 View Post
    With the fan running 24/7, my lowest temperature recorded as of this morning at about 0645hrs measured 26C flat. Still cannot go below that.
    Do you have any floating plants like Amazon frogbit, Salvinia Natans "Savinie"? If got Android Phone, goto market look for Aquarium Plants (Free), look at the floating plants archive. Put some into the tank and see how's the temperature like.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Got the frogbits in the tank already. Likely is because the house is not ventilated in the day time.
    ~~Steven ~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

xXXXx13, VS, both of you have said that your room/house is humid. Now look at your furnitures for a while.

Are the big ones to the side and any of the furniture blocking air flow?
    The windows on top are for venting, hence are they left at least half open to facilitate venting.

For VS, running 2 fans and only get 27C.
    1. Are the fans powerful enough?
    2. Are they pointing at maximum water surface area to facilitate evaporation. No point blowing the tank glass.
    3. When was the last time you maintain your fan, are they choked with thousand years dust? Heh...

Explore these factors and see if you can improve on it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Blue Whale, for my case as most part of the day the windows and door are closed until only the time I get back. There are no venting windows in my window structure. Definitely no furnitures blocking the airflow too when the windows and door are opened. The tank is in between these two items.

As you mentioned, got to minus 1C from the thermometer reading so my actual tank reading should read 25C, right?
    ~~Steven ~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Then you must minus 1c everytime you read lor. 25 is ok but cannot handle hot day much. Tanks with fan that get 24c then can better handle hot weather. Try further, don't stop here. one more C only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@ Blue Whale

1. Are the fans powerful enough?
    ANS 3000 & Dymax (the biggest fan this brand carry) If clips on like the one you guys posted, I wouldn't use them. Nothing against it but I want the tank area to look neat. Next month, I will remove the Dymax and install another ANS 3000 and record further readings.
    2. Are they pointing at maximum water surface area to facilitate evaporation. No point blowing the tank glass.
    -_-' It's not blowing at the tank glass. It's blowing on the water surface. The only thing blowing at my tank is my floor fan. One of the fans I used for myself when I sleep.
    3. When was the last time you maintain your fan, are they choked with thousand years dust? Heh...
    I bought it on 31/03/2012. -_-''

For more info.
    Room door always open.
    Window always open.
    House on 3rd floor.
    Aquarium tank fan on 24/7
    One of my room fan on 24/7
    My room no furniture. Table top and top cupboard is mounted to wall during renovation; not blocking. My desk chair; not blocking. My fan; blocking me. My bed? I don't have a bed, I have 2 seat sofa bed and no do not block the tank. I don't place a cupboard in front of the tank if that's what you're thinking. =P

Let's not take readings from 2300hrs to 0700hrs shall we. Cos this is when temperature drops regardless and it is not this reading I want to note.

I am more concern about the readings I get between 0800hrs to 2000hrs. My current average readings which I have taken from 01/04/2012 till date is 27.4C But Shadow has mentioned or was it Felix, as long as the temperature do not go beyond 30C, it should be fine. I'm cool with that and feel better with my current readings. But it also means I shouldn't keep fauna like shrimps or any that requires a lower temperature. Having lower temperature actually helps the fish to breed doesn;t it. Well, you want the best for both plants and fauna right.

Did a little test. I took temperature from 2100hrs to 0100hrs, 27.4C I smoke a few sticks. Guess what, temperature went to 28.6C LOL!! I'm not kidding.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

VS like composition, fan depends on wattage, not pretty nor brand. High class then sacrifice lor.

next time smoke, turn off the fan and observe the smoke, it will tell you your air flow.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    VS like composition, fan depends on wattage, not pretty nor brand. High class then sacrifice lor.

next time smoke, turn off the fan and observe the smoke, it will tell you your air flow.
    LOL! I like to write. Oh done that. I saw my oto taking in my second hand smoke.

I get back home, my room without having any air con is cooler than any of the rooms in the house. Have some new idea in mind. But will wait first. Once I get hold of them, then I will do the test. If I still cannot break 26C, will get used chiller next month. Maybe.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So 27d not cool?
    IMHO Anything below 26d, get chiller.
    Cool season, easily hit 26 during night after 6pm with just a good fan.

I mention after 6pm so folks please note during lunch time how hot the sun feels and think for abit.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

27D is cool.

Anything lower than 26, oto must buy wind breaker "liao"

Anyway, the aim I have in mind is that the temperature do not exceed 29D at any time of the day. Full stop.

But if one is looking at consistent temperature then chiller is the option.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Now i off my fan liao. The new ehiem liberty helped alot. Ambient temp @ 27 flat. Good enough for now till the heat wave comes, keep fan in my closet

Advice from boss Felix