Country
    Singapore

Re: Maintaining Temperature

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Now i off my fan liao. The new ehiem liberty helped alot. Ambient temp @ 27 flat. Good enough for now till the heat wave comes, keep fan in my closet
    Aiyoh...just turn it off can liao, no need to bring in and out. Cause heat wave comes even when you are not at home. You can always put on timer switch you know.

Now, those living in the lower decks of HDB, no need to worry.....as time goes by, say 10 years from the final construction of the HDB block, Town Council would have planted some trees, in 10 years time, they would grow up, in 20 years time, they would reach something like 4-5 storey high. You would have to switch on your living room light even during the day. As tree grows up, the overall room temperature will be brought down as well. Wonders of nature and natural cooling. It also shield you from direct rain. How I know? I used to live in 3 room HDB 3rd floor. I know.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My neighbour got plants planted around alright. They have grown pretty decent size. Been about close to 10 years i suppose since they started planting. Btw, mine is mature estate

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Then you must minus 1c everytime you read lor. 25 is ok but cannot handle hot day much. Tanks with fan that get 24c then can better handle hot weather. Try further, don't stop here. one more C only.
    Would like to try but now I've doubt over my thermometer. After a WC on thursday night, the temperature went up from the range of 26C to 27C. I thought this might be because of the water straight from the tap (I did WC with this method but of cos anti-chlorine was added) so i leave it but till now, the temperature is still in the 27C range. I had 2 thermometer in the tank, an external and internal one, both are digital. The external one is showing in the range of 27C with the internal one showing 26C. External one is near the outflow and internal one at the inflow. Going to monitor for a couple of days more before heading for an analog thermometer.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xXXXx13 View Post
    Would like to try but now I've doubt over my thermometer. After a WC on thursday night, the temperature went up from the range of 26C to 27C. I thought this might be because of the water straight from the tap (I did WC with this method but of cos anti-chlorine was added) so i leave it but till now, the temperature is still in the 27C range. I had 2 thermometer in the tank, an external and internal one, both are digital. The external one is showing in the range of 27C with the internal one showing 26C. External one is near the outflow and internal one at the inflow. Going to monitor for a couple of days more before heading for an analog thermometer.
    Actually just get 1 cup of tap water. Now use your normal thermometer which you use for your fever. Get a reading. Test the two thermometer in the same cup of water and see what is the temperature difference.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see...i'll give it a try tomorrow. Hopefully, the normal thermometer can still be use.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xXXXx13 View Post
    I see...i'll give it a try tomorrow. Hopefully, the normal thermometer can still be use.
    Suppose the diff is -5C then use a marker to write on the tank's thermometer. Each reading you just take the reading -5C.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I just bought a IQ5 tank. The water temp on my analog thermometer shows 30c.
    Can I know which make and model of chiller can fit this small tank? Cheers
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 14th Apr 2012 at 10:01. Reason: SMS Lingo, please read the rules

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Rexxer View Post
    Hi all, I just bought a IQ5 tank. The water temp on my analog thermometer shows 30c.
    Can I know which make and model of chiller can fit this small tank? Cheers
    A chiller for that size of a tank would almost be very costly. Just get a fan for that IQ5, its way cheaper.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice. I went to get the ANS 3000 from C328.
    After blowing for almost 2hrs, temperature is now 28.5c. Hope it'll go down further.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

After blowing for almost 2hrs, temperature is now 28.5c. Hope it'll go down further.
    A fan will take time to cool down the tank. wait a day or so. monjtor the water level.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'd give you 3C at most with that fan. ANS 3000 is consider one of the better fan in terms of cooling but the problem here is that it doesn't last. The other thing about it is that it is not powerful enough to drive evaporation further. Hence if you follow the thread, it would be wiser to use Toyomi Fan instead which is a very lasting product.

To allow the temperature to drop further:

1. Look at the result in 24hrs time.
    2. Standby water for top up (lost due to evaporation)
    3. Make sure the fan is position to maximum water surface.

Even if this fan is spoilt, the holder below, do not throw it, you might find it useful later on. I used the base to secure the Toyomi Fan.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chiller need pressurised canister filter, there isn't much options for your tank to be exact...too small. But you can still try to post a new thread at equipment section, maybe there are options. Running chiller have high running cost. A good chiller like Artica will cost you more than $1000. Some priced as high as $2300, but they are for a different flowrate ones, dependent on the tank size and the canister flow rate, just came back from one of Yishun LFS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

WO! This thread is still going! LOL.

Bottom line, you cannot maintain a temperature consistently with a fan. You can bring the temperature down 1-3D. With a fan, your tank temperature will fluctuate depending on the time of day. Just make sure the temperature is just between 26-30, Your fish should be fine. Using fan is mid tech to me and is sufficient enough for some if not most aquatic life. When taking temperature, don't just take it in the morning and at night. What is the use if you don't take the hottest time of the day? My 3ft tank with fan has a temperature of 27.5D average. 29D being the highest and 27D being the lowest. For 2 weeks I recorded the tank temperature once in the morning, twice in the afternoon and once at night. As long as I get an average of 27.5D, I am happy and when it does peak in the afternoon, not to go above 29.5D. Full stop.

If you are looking for consistent temperature throughout the day, then no argument. Chiller. End of story. The fan can only do so much. You can place a gigantic fan, clip it here, drill here and there but you'll not get consistent temperature. Meaning, if you want 26D, forget about fan. How in the world is it going to keep the temeprature at 26D throughout the day. To be honest, I never heard of anyone using a fan that can have a tank that goes down below 25D. Are you serious? Using air con don't count. If you place it outdoor, yes I believe you. It can go down to 25D (in the wee hours of the morning) and its proven by fellow member.

So it depends on $$$ and entirely what you are looking for. A fan helps, without it my tank can peak to 30-31D above. I use the fan so that it does not reach 30D and not because I'm trying to aim for 26D, 27D etc. If I'm looking for that, then chiller.

In conclusion, is anybody selling their chiller next month? Hehe.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    WO! This thread is still going! LOL.
    We have yet found the best cooling method haha. still experimenting

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

VS, just because you cannot reach 23.xC with a fan doesn't mean we can't...heh heh. For one thing I am sure. I have already reached 23.xC a few times. 24.xC is also achievable. Of course, we are practical people who knows that Temp will peak upwards during the day time. This is precisely to generate the kind of environment that the wild have. A warm front and a cold front. Except we control it at a more desired one. It ensure fish are trained to get used to Singapore Temperature hence will raise survival rate. The CFL deployed is also to generate that peak Sunlight at 12:00 except for a longer period to allow the plants to maximise light. However, on the aspect of light spectrum, more studies need to be done. Everyone is trying their best, best light, low temperature, correct light spectrum, correct light lumen. We human are still lacking in knowledge in a lot of ways. Doesn't mean we stop trying. We are already trying.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Living 22 floors up with a 20w hopar fan, my daytime temperature was 25-26.5 nighttime 24-25. 2 feet tank.
    But it wasn't really quiet. Upgraded to a cross flow cooling fan. Virtually no noise but I compromise in terms of cooling power (about 2degrees hotter now) I think it's partly the v humid day inhibiting evaporation, as I only upgraded today.

I realize that surface agitation is a good complement to a fan. With a spray bar near the surface, my tank's temperature is about .5 degree lower at any point of time as compared to a single outflow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mystikboy View Post
    Living 22 floors up with a 20w hopar fan, my daytime temperature was 25-26.5 nighttime 24-25. 2 feet tank.
    But it wasn't really quiet. Upgraded to a cross flow cooling fan. Virtually no noise but I compromise in terms of cooling power (about 2degrees hotter now) I think it's partly the v humid day inhibiting evaporation, as I only upgraded today.

I realize that surface agitation is a good complement to a fan. With a spray bar near the surface, my tank's temperature is about .5 degree lower at any point of time as compared to a single outflow.
    Yes, do not fill your water totally, a bit bit below is actually okay so long it doesn't disturb the water surface too much. A higher wattage fan allows for more evaporation. You staying higher should have a cooler environment but you might watch out for the sun ray how it shines. I'd say 6months in 6months off. Curtain can block the light but cannot contain the heat so the air flow ventilation for the entire house should be look at holistically and not just 1 room itself. Floating plants may not lower the temp but it will prevent heat as in shade. Small qty will do.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yo bros here can i know what does ANS 3000 and C328 stand for ? Sorry for my noobies still very new in this forum thinking to get one effective fan too haha

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xiaofeng90 View Post
    yo bros here can i know what does ANS 3000 and C328 stand for ? Sorry for my noobies still very new in this forum thinking to get one effective fan too haha
    ANS is a brand. 3000 is the model. It's a fan for aquarium. Keeps temperature down between 1-4D.Celcius. It's in the attached picture. That's a smaller version of the 3000.

C328 - name of the fish store. C stands for Clementi and 328 the block number. The actual name is Clementi Florist and Aquarium. But everyone got used to C328. Thus the name.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    ANS is a brand. 3000 is the model. It's a fan for aquarium. Keeps temperature down between 1-4D.Celcius. It's in the attached picture. That's a smaller version of the 3000.

C328 - name of the fish store. C stands for Clementi and 328 the block number. The actual name is Clementi Florist and Aquarium. But everyone got used to C328. Thus the name.
    Errr..not exactly accurate. The correct name should be Cans not ANS. Most people do not see the C in front. 3000 stand for Cooling Fans 3000. Their product range would have 1000, 2000 and 3000 defined by the different rpm. In a proper setup, as much as 4 such fans can be deployed for use as failover, aka if one failed the rest will continue to operate.

C328 is correct. If you are using www.map.gov.sg type Clementi MRT into the search field. Beside it is Blk 328, Polyart and Clementi Florist and Aquarium are both operating there.

xiaofeng, you should go there for a walk walk and see see. Both shops accept Nets so you no need to carry a lump of notes and walk around. You'd be walking into a toy shop and hope that you can buy the entire shop. *smile* So you can find most of the supplies there although not all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

by the way, C328 closed on Sunday
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/