Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    this one ah?

These few days really hard to keep the temp on a stable mode. Even with the fan, keep temp is pretty jumpy.

Kinda concerned about the shrimps. Thinking of letting go it to better owner and swap in for some fishes instead.. Any good input for this concern?
    Yes, that's the one. Nowdays see aircon all full blast no fan.

Heat swinging in will be much higher by June/July.
    Unless you have a controller to on/off or control the fan, you are just lowering it from ambient temp. Which you have little control over.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Maintaining Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Yes, that's the one. Nowdays see aircon all full blast no fan.

Heat swinging in will be much higher by June/July.
    Unless you have a controller to on/off or control the fan, you are just lowering it from ambient temp. Which you have little control over.
    I see them over at those lorries carrying workers only nowadays.. haha

Would it be good to let the shrimps go now? Although they are breeding and living ok in the tank, i wouldn't want to compromise their health when the heat wave comes. Fishes should be hardier then them.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it is me I just keep.
    But you need to judge since its your home. If very sure they will start dying when it comes. Lessen load and keep fan on.

The least you will know if with fan can survive or not. Make sense?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    If it is me I just keep.
    But you need to judge since its your home. If very sure they will start dying when it comes. Lessen load and keep fan on.

The least you will know if with fan can survive or not. Make sense?
    Alright, noted. Thanks for the advice. haha abit worrying le once i see the temp

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Alright, noted. Thanks for the advice. haha abit worrying le once i see the temp
    really thoughtfull of you diazman.

maybe prepare for plan b? If you have a friend who keeps the same, maybe can either temporary keep with his or give it away.

But I like the way you think first for your livestocks. Cross fingers, things will be alright.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a question, what happen if you have a food container with a block of ice, at the end is a hole to allow the ice water to melt and drip in? This should be above the water level. Would the shrimps be able to take it? It should take a while for the Ice to melt.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    really thoughtfull of you diazman.

maybe prepare for plan b? If you have a friend who keeps the same, maybe can either temporary keep with his or give it away.

But I like the way you think first for your livestocks. Cross fingers, things will be alright.
    I will see in the days to come. It's really really humid over at Jurong now. The fan only managed a good 28 through out the day. I always value my livestocks hehe.. no matter deformed or not, they are still lives

@ blue whale. Did that, and the shrimps abit jumpy so i hold out putting more ice. After the ice melted with the drip in method, the temp climbed up back quite fast.

Advice from boss Felix

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bluewhale, how many Deg you manage to lower using toyomi fan? i got a toyomi fan in store...haha

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

On an unrelated note, with temperature hovering 28-30, isn't it perfect for a sulawesi setup?

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

On an unrelated note, with temperature hovering 28-30, isn't it perfect for a sulawesi setup?
    @wongce, 23.4C

I have started a thread to warn everyone.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...or-hot-weather

What I fear is that the weather heating up is going to start tonight. Everyone brace for the impact. Based on today's weather observation, I am seeing Haze from Woodlands up Seletar to Compassvale to Pasir Ris, Loyang, Changi Air Cargo Terminal. Hence you are looking at SLE to TPE to Loyang Ave. to Nicoll Drive. However I did not pick up any haze report. Satellite Map wise, I am picking up quite a bit of hotspots burning...Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. Meanwhile, PSI haven't pick up at this point of time because the after rain have basically cleanse the air. So we are lucky these few days....still a lot of people fell sick. Do not go under rain at this point of time. Try to remain indoor during rain.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think abit of haze have taken place over here at jurong. Not to mention its really warm even with the fan @ speed 3 and windows open.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The following is for emergency cooling. Ice Blocks can reduce temperature between 2-3C during very hot weather.
    The water you use should be distil water.

Picture shows the average depth that you should be looking at when buying the plastic containers. Note that if you load the water up to the rim, when ice forms, it expand, and can break the bottom easily. After that, you'd have to discard the container and replace with a new one. Hence, it is not advisable to use very deep plastic containers. Small Ice blocks melts easily and the effect isn't immediate like most people expect.

For shrimp tanks, the shrimps would be in a shock if you do that, hence you are better off using 500ml - 600ml bottles like the one behind, freeze into ice. Once ice is formed, open the bottle cap, punch one hole at the cap and let it drip, you should pour very small amount of water in to allow dripping. Once inverted, punch another hole at the base of the bottle to allow air to go in. Find any means of securing or lock it it between the filter and light.

Another way of doing is like what Polyart did to the shrimps. Basically Tank is being compartment, after that the iced 500ml bottle is dip into the empty compartment whilst the main part of the shrimp tank enjoys the aircon. This method works for about half a day before it starts to warm up again, so you are looking at 4-6hrs effect only.

Ice usually don't form up very fast, hence you should have back up in the freezer in case you need to have another go.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey people, I am thinking of a DIY air cooler, but might not have time to build it, Would anyone be interested to build one? I can provide a concept plan in DIY section. You are only required to provide the pictures of your built to share with the rest. How about that?Voluntary of course.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    @wongce, 23.4C

I have started a thread to warn everyone.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...or-hot-weather

What I fear is that the weather heating up is going to start tonight. Everyone brace for the impact. Based on today's weather observation, I am seeing Haze from Woodlands up Seletar to Compassvale to Pasir Ris, Loyang, Changi Air Cargo Terminal. Hence you are looking at SLE to TPE to Loyang Ave. to Nicoll Drive. However I did not pick up any haze report. Satellite Map wise, I am picking up quite a bit of hotspots burning...Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. Meanwhile, PSI haven't pick up at this point of time because the after rain have basically cleanse the air. So we are lucky these few days....still a lot of people fell sick. Do not go under rain at this point of time. Try to remain indoor during rain.
    Bro what you encountered is not haze. It's basically mist from all that humidity caused by the rain. The rain has saturated the air to a point that it appears as mist which in put in another way is light clouds on ground. That is why there is no haze report. Haze is due to pollutants like smoke particles in the air that reduce visibility, mist is due to water droplets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
    Bro what you encountered is not haze. It's basically mist from all that humidity caused by the rain. The rain has saturated the air to a point that it appears as mist which in put in another way is light clouds on ground. That is why there is no haze report. Haze is due to pollutants like smoke particles in the air that reduce visibility, mist is due to water droplets.
    Can you tell me if mist would field coastal islands at 5pm?People like me grew up from kampong, we are capable to judge visibility on the road drops to 500m. Mist does not have this ability to do so. Mist can touch and feels wet on cob web. Haze cannot and temperature still warm. By afternoon, regional fire put out by rain in Malaysia. Indonesia fire continues.

You'd realise growing up in hdb makes one loses the ability to read weather, once a common skillset in commoners alike. Modern readings are aided by satellite images, cloud formation, windspeed and atomspheric pressure.

I too do not possess the direct reading skills, hence mine relies on modern geography, regional monitoring readings, used to be outage ic for a "if I tell u, I must kill u" place, so a must learn skillset. Coordination back then was islandwide.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 20th Apr 2012 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The following is for emergency cooling. Ice Blocks can reduce temperature between 2-3C during very hot weather.
    The water you use should be distil water.

[IMG]

Picture shows the average depth that you should be looking at when buying the plastic containers. Note that if you load the water up to the rim, when ice forms, it expand, and can break the bottom easily. After that, you'd have to discard the container and replace with a new one. Hence, it is not advisable to use very deep plastic containers. Small Ice blocks melts easily and the effect isn't immediate like most people expect.

For shrimp tanks, the shrimps would be in a shock if you do that, hence you are better off using 500ml - 600ml bottles like the one behind, freeze into ice. Once ice is formed, open the bottle cap, punch one hole at the cap and let it drip, you should pour very small amount of water in to allow dripping. Once inverted, punch another hole at the base of the bottle to allow air to go in. Find any means of securing or lock it it between the filter and light.

Another way of doing is like what Polyart did to the shrimps. Basically Tank is being compartment, after that the iced 500ml bottle is dip into the empty compartment whilst the main part of the shrimp tank enjoys the aircon. This method works for about half a day before it starts to warm up again, so you are looking at 4-6hrs effect only.

Ice usually don't form up very fast, hence you should have back up in the freezer in case you need to have another go.
    Sounds interesting but I have a few questions.

How many bottles am I going to need for my 4 foot shrimp tank?

How would it affect my GH?

What would the temperature spread be between the start and the end? That is from when I start the drip to the end of the drip.

How can I control the temperature to achieve say 24C?

I am not polyart and cannot be there to change the water 24 hours, any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can you tell me if mist would field coastal islands at 5pm?People like me grew up from kampong, we are capable to judge visibility on the road drops to 500m. Mist does not have this ability to do so. Mist can touch and feels wet on cob web. Haze cannot and temperature still warm. By afternoon, regional fire put out by rain in Malaysia. Indonesia fire continues.

You'd realise growing up in hdb makes one loses the ability to read weather, once a common skillset in commoners alike. Modern readings are aided by satellite images, cloud formation, windspeed and atomspheric pressure.

I too do not possess the direct reading skills, hence mine relies on modern geography, regional monitoring readings, used to be outage ic for a "if I tell u, I must kill u" place, so a must learn skillset. Coordination back then was islandwide.
    I can telll you that at around 6 pm yesterday in the east the visibility dropped from more than 10km to 8000m yesterday after the rain the whole afternoon.

I have no doubts of your skills to be able judge visibility if it drops below 500m but there is actually an official definition for mist and haze and your description of being able to touch and feel does not fit into any of them.

I have my doubts as anyone here can read weather, living in the kampung or not. If the guys who do it for a living cannot, I doubt the common kampung folk can. If so they will be very much in demand.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
    Sounds interesting but I have a few questions.

How many bottles am I going to need for my 4 foot shrimp tank?

How would it affect my GH?

What would the temperature spread be between the start and the end? That is from when I start the drip to the end of the drip.

How can I control the temperature to achieve say 24C?

I am not polyart and cannot be there to change the water 24 hours, any suggestions?
    My experience with shrimps is pretty much limited to wood shrimp and yamatos, ain't an expert on that. The current rack building has the exact intend to further this journey. 4ft means there
    is a wider tolerance in terms of water parameters. We have already come to stage not to be so naive as to believe temp is constant throughout the entire tank. diff temp at diff depth at diff corners at diff part. The above aquapro, I intend to read the water surface temp as well. As with some keepers of shrimp/fishes, reading up before buying is important. I don't buy if I do not have knowledge on it as well.

Frankly I cannot tell you how many bottles. I emphasized that I do not have chemistry background, nor physics, nor A maths. Do you stop there then? Never do never know is my motto. Sucess is built on countless failure. We hear the happy side of stories mosy of the time, we do not learn the sad side. Breeder stories, eggs get fungus, fries R get eaten, temp goes out, fish and shrimp die of no reason....the list goes on. Uncle Ron also dunno chemistry, that didn't stop him.

Yeap, we ain't Polyart, there was a time when their fish keeps dying, do you know how they feel as sellers? The idea here is to learn, to learn what suits your tank, not mine, not Polyart. Practical more than theory.

Like you, I intend to challenge the realm of a recommended 17C-23C shrimp, not via chiller, via fan. Lets just leave #257 as it is for now. Going too deep won't benefit the community.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    ANS is a brand. 3000 is the model. It's a fan for aquarium. Keeps temperature down between 1-4D.Celcius. It's in the attached picture. That's a smaller version of the 3000.

C328 - name of the fish store. C stands for Clementi and 328 the block number. The actual name is Clementi Florist and Aquarium. But everyone got used to C328. Thus the name.
    Oh i see , anyway i using a hopper fan just cool down 2 celcius for my 2ft tank only ): from 30 to 28 my shrimp keep dying not sure is this the reason and my fish and guppy fly are doing fine inside...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Errr..not exactly accurate. The correct name should be Cans not ANS. Most people do not see the C in front. 3000 stand for Cooling Fans 3000. Their product range would have 1000, 2000 and 3000 defined by the different rpm. In a proper setup, as much as 4 such fans can be deployed for use as failover, aka if one failed the rest will continue to operate.

C328 is correct. If you are using www.map.gov.sg type Clementi MRT into the search field. Beside it is Blk 328, Polyart and Clementi Florist and Aquarium are both operating there.

xiaofeng, you should go there for a walk walk and see see. Both shops accept Nets so you no need to carry a lump of notes and walk around. You'd be walking into a toy shop and hope that you can buy the entire shop. *smile* So you can find most of the supplies there although not all.
    haha thanks (: , shall visit them since my since my camp at clementi , any infomation on their closing time ?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast