Country
    Singapore

Re: Maintaining Temperature

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    2) Try the fan first. I like the Gex one but it's about $60 bucks. Temperature fluctuates around 27-28. I'll try to add another fan and see if that makes any difference.
    Check C328, I remember mine much cheaper. Less than half the price that you mention. Size wise I thing 2nd from the biggest. It is for 2ft tank (60 L).
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Check C328, I remember mine much cheaper. Less than half the price that you mention. Size wise I thing 2nd from the biggest. It is for 2ft tank (60 L).
    Roger that! 2 more days to go!!! LOL. Ya i am testing 2 gex fan L on a 3ft. One fan helps to maintain temperature at 27. Water evaporation no problem; I'm still young. =P I want to see if 2 fans will do any difference Will collect data through out the day to see difference in temperature. Target is a fluctuation of 26-27C Then perhaps in May, will get the chiller. I need my fishes to be comfortable.

Oh Shadow, the Large Gex fan is $60. That's the biggest one. But will check if either shops in Clementi has a good price on it
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've already considered certain factors before I commit myself to set up the tank, its not as if I just jumped the gun and set it up blindly The location of the tank is properly ventilated. No sun light penetration or what so ever. Additionally, i do not have any powerheads in the tank, its just runnning on two HOF.

Considering that my tank is only a mere 1.5ft, im well aware that small tanks are susceptible temperature swings.

The ambient temperature Used to be 26-27 but recently rose to 28-29 and that is without the help of a fan. So im considering a fan and see how it goes in the next few days. Could be the coming heat wave I guess haha.

Good thing is that my shrimps and plants are doing great so far, just want my shrimps and plants to be comfortable

P.S : Was considering a bigger fan, lets say a fan suitable for 2ft on a 1.5ft - is it feasible idea to use on a smaller tank? It would increase the evaporation rate right?

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Im using sunsun fan. Bought it for 19 bucks reduced temp by 2 degrees now maintain in the rsnge 24-26 degrees. Also v quiet quite good can try

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    I've already considered certain factors before I commit myself to set up the tank, its not as if I just jumped the gun and set it up blindly The location of the tank is properly ventilated. No sun light penetration or what so ever. Additionally, i do not have any powerheads in the tank, its just runnning on two HOF.

Considering that my tank is only a mere 1.5ft, im well aware that small tanks are susceptible temperature swings.

The ambient temperature Used to be 26-27 but recently rose to 28-29 and that is without the help of a fan. So im considering a fan and see how it goes in the next few days. Could be the coming heat wave I guess haha.

Good thing is that my shrimps and plants are doing great so far, just want my shrimps and plants to be comfortable

P.S : Was considering a bigger fan, lets say a fan suitable for 2ft on a 1.5ft - is it feasible idea to use on a smaller tank? It would increase the evaporation rate right?
    If you're using fan, then yes; there will be an increase in eveaporation.

But it's cheaper than to get a brand new chiller. (which I am personally going to get once I save enough) Having a fan can bring your tank temperature down to 1-3C

Choose a fan that is right for your tank. I think for yours, probably the ANS 1000 or the Gex Medium. First one is cheaper. Pricing is usually 7-60 bucks for a fan. I'm testing Dymax on one of my tank; and its 3ft!! Temperature is on 26-27C Hottest at 27.6C

Have fun shopping!! =) Confirm come back with more than just a fan. =)
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    If you're using fan, then yes; there will be an increase in eveaporation.

But it's cheaper than to get a brand new chiller. (which I am personally going to get once I save enough) Having a fan can bring your tank temperature down to 1-3C

Choose a fan that is right for your tank. I think for yours, probably the ANS 1000 or the Gex Medium. First one is cheaper. Pricing is usually 7-60 bucks for a fan. I'm testing Dymax on one of my tank; and its 3ft!! Temperature is on 26-27C Hottest at 27.6C

Have fun shopping!! =) Confirm come back with more than just a fan. =)
    haha. Will do. Definitely not coming back with just a fan For now I would take it easy since im just keeping some moss and sakura shrimps. Once I get my own apartment and family, hehehe... come forth 3 tier rack tanks! muahaha

Probably will get the ANS or Tornado fan. Tried Dymax and GEX and it was quite noisy i must say. :S

Good thing though now that my ambient tank temperature have stabilized between 28-28.9, so i guess a fan might do the trick

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

In the meantime, can you just drop by one of the electrical shop and get a Toyomi Desk Clip Fan? Just run it 24/7 but you need to clean it once in a while.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A picture speaks volume.

Attachment 29753

This isn't April Fool Joke.
    Date/Time: 1 Apr 2012 10:44am
    Temp: 24.4C (75.92F)
    Fan Used: Toyomi Clip Fan
    Fan Op Time: 24/7
    Gex Filter (L Slim)

House Type: 5 Room (Direct Sunlight), WackyTpt saw it before whilst we were travelling along Woodlands Ave.12 towards Seaview quite some time back.

Okay, the worst worst scenario, it's 26.xC, it won't go above 27C. I think really not so bad.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

will the water evaporate very fast?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow...maybe i should invest in one but before i do it, how big is the tank that its on and will the water evaporate very fast?
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You have to monitor water level closely. It is not definite that water will evaporate at a very fast rate. Depends on humidity.

On a rainy day, you have to top up once in the night.
    On a hot day, you have to top up twice, before work and after work.

This 2ft is placed in a corner I deem not much heat source. The light above it, is also using energy saving light, same as the one you see in the picture, except that I am using Osram on top. The tank is using 2x Philip Genie lights. Hence the heat generated is much much reduced. (6500K if you must know). In my opinion, our hobby has a lot of observation skill involved. Hence, you always have to eye power your tank. Anything that is out of place, you would immediately spot it. Hence you have to do observation based on a very regular basis. (I am not saying if you remove one granule of soil from the tank, I would notice it..ok? Fish behaviour, water colour, etc.)

Other factor involved the surrounding of the tank. Are you putting furniture to block air flow? Are you putting a high powered Hi-Fi Set (which generates a lot of heat) near to the fish tank? Is the fish tank beside a CPU? (Laptop uses 30% of that PC), are you using curtains to block windows which contains heat. Are you closing your windows most of the time as no wind comes in, etc. etc. Is the tank placed directly above the neighbour (One level down)'s main light. (You have to use your hand to feel the floor at night, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, up to you) There are still many factors involved, hence you have to gauge this yourself, I can give you some general guidelines to work on it only.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed that there's alot of factors to consider on maintaining the temperature and lots of eye powering . Thank you for sharing
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xXXXx13 View Post
    Agreed that there's alot of factors to consider on maintaining the temperature and lots of eye powering . Thank you for sharing
    Remember one thing. Our hobby requires us as the maintenance guy. 1 fan that is well maintained from dust will function longer. You can use USB Fan, Cooler Fan, etc. but you'd have to ask one thing, how long does it last you. This Toyomi fan has been with me for more than 5 years, it is still running. Even if you have to use a cotton bud dipped with water to clean it, please do a good job on the up-keep of the fan. Temp is one of the critical factor for fish and plant. If it can cool 1-3C, it is normal. If it can cool 3-5C, itself is already a blessing. This isn't an expensive fan. $20-30 you can get one. At most $40. Compared to getting a $40 tank fan which breaks down in less than one year, you do the maths.

28W fan. Less than $20 per month.

Time now is 3:28PM : 25.3C
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 1st Apr 2012 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Remember one thing. Our hobby requires us as the maintenance guy. 1 fan that is well maintained from dust will function longer. You can use USB Fan, Cooler Fan, etc. but you'd have to ask one thing, how long does it last you. This Toyomi fan has been with me for more than 5 years, it is still running. Even if you have to use a cotton bud dipped with water to clean it, please do a good job on the up-keep of the fan. Temp is one of the critical factor for fish and plant. If it can cool 1-3C, it is normal. If it can cool 3-5C, itself is already a blessing. This isn't an expensive fan. $20-30 you can get one. At most $40. Compared to getting a $40 tank fan which breaks down in less than one year, you do the maths.

28W fan. Less than $20 per month.

Time now is 3:28PM : 25.3C

You sir, are my inspiration. haha. Thanks for the picture. I got the same fan but the best temperature i got was 26 flat on hot days, 25.5 on some other days. have yet to beat your record adding on, do you mind if you post a FTS for your tank? do the light saving bulbs create good plant growth and whats the total light wattage used on the tank?
    Last edited by diazman; 1st Apr 2012 at 17:03.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You sir, are my inspiration. haha. Thanks for the picture. I got the same fan but the best temperature i got was 26 flat on hot days, 25.5 on some other days. have yet to beat your record adding on, do you mind if you post a FTS for your tank? do the light saving bulbs create good plant growth and whats the total light wattage used on the tank?
    Gex filter (motor in water) 5.1w. 2x8w Genie (generating 2x40w). Fan 28w (as above).
    Eeee....hard for me to describe. You see photo okay? So-so lah.
    The thing about low wattage is not only to be more friendly to the electric bill, but also less heat to the tank. What you do around the tank affects the water temp as well.

Attachment 29778
    Should be a snail there. :P Taken 2 days back.

Time now is 9pm. I just woke up. Temp: 24.8C And it is still not midnight yet, expecting it to drop further.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cool bro. In that case i think i heed your advise and switch to the Energy saving wahaha. Never been so excited. The fixture of the bulb is those just plug and play type right? The ones that can easily get from hardware shops? Gotta think of solutions fast since electricity is getting a 4% up in their billing.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool bro. In that case i think i heed your advise and switch to the Energy saving wahaha. Never been so excited. The fixture of the bulb is those just plug and play type right? The ones that can easily get from hardware shops? Gotta think of solutions fast since electricity is getting a 4% up in their billing.
    Clip E27 holder, they always ran out very very fast because it is also used as a fixture in Pasat Malam (Night Market). So it really depends on luck. For the light itself, if you are good in bargain, you could get 3 for $10. Normal 1 is about $4.50 or so. I got 4 for $10 in my case. This light is also used in my farm. Thread: Tale of a farmer. 8w generate 40w is actually pretty pretty strong as in the night view photo. There are however higher wattage bulb should you choose not to use the 8w one.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Clip E27 holder, they always ran out very very fast because it is also used as a fixture in Pasat Malam (Night Market). So it really depends on luck. For the light itself, if you are good in bargain, you could get 3 for $10. Normal 1 is about $4.50 or so. I got 4 for $10 in my case. This light is also used in my farm. Thread: Tale of a farmer. 8w generate 40w is actually pretty pretty strong as in the night view photo. There are however higher wattage bulb should you choose not to use the 8w one.
    Think probably will stick to 8-20 ish Watts since im getting only two of them. Besides, its just for growing moss anyways. PL light is not doing me justice since it increasing my ambient temperature like crazy

P.S: A huge thanks for your input bro. Really appreciate it! . Will update once i completed hunting for all them stuffs

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Think probably will stick to 8-20 ish Watts since im getting only two of them. Besides, its just for growing moss anyways. PL light is not doing me justice since it increasing my ambient temperature like crazy

P.S: A huge thanks for your input bro. Really appreciate it! . Will update once i completed hunting for all them stuffs
    Ohhh...I certainly think you can do that. Since the bulb is cheap cheap. Uncle whale is pretty super cheapo to begin with. Heh heh....mua's T5 is just sitting in a corner, back to it's box for several years but still operational. Plus if you have $10, you already can start a light set. If you have $15-16, you could do two light set. How about that?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ohhh...I certainly think you can do that. Since the bulb is cheap cheap. Uncle whale is pretty super cheapo to begin with. Heh heh....mua's T5 is just sitting in a corner, back to it's box for several years but still operational. Plus if you have $10, you already can start a light set. If you have $15-16, you could do two light set. How about that?
    Haha. Since getting proper lightset on smaller tanks are an issue, didnt crossed my mind till you posting your ingenious idea. The lights and temperature issues were driving me nuts My nano T5 already burned out good after 3 months usage, just left the remnants of it's body

The light clip holder think i can get easily from one of the bargain shops down my place (those so called " 1 dollar shop or something"), saw them selling but have to confirm again. The one you used just fit in the bulb and plug to a power socket aye?

Advice from boss Felix

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast