Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Maintaining Temperature

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Noted, probably just need to fiddle the light abit to find it's prime positioning. The rest is just plug and play. The next step is to secure a fan and then we will see the results. More pictures will be uploaded tomorrow on the tank view

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Noted, probably just need to fiddle the light abit to find it's prime positioning. The rest is just plug and play. The next step is to secure a fan and then we will see the results. More pictures will be uploaded tomorrow on the tank view
    You can goto Courts and look at Sona Fans as well.

40w and 50w Desk Fan.
    http://www.sona.com.sg/eCate/ProdDetail.aspx?ID=71

15w Personal Fan.
    http://www.sona.com.sg/eCate/ProdDetail.aspx?ID=121

Toyomi Clip Fan - Because you can clip. 28w
    http://www.toyomi.com.sg/products/fanclip.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just read through all the pages of this interesting thread and it's wonderful to see how fans can actually cooled water temperatures down in the case of Blue Whale's scenerio I'm pretty much a fan fanatic and have tried various brands and models of aquarium fans. The expensive ones at that too.

The clip-on fans from Toyomi seems a real neat idea for a fan-cooled shrimp rack that I'm conjuring up in my mind. Thanks AQ and fellow forumers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

cherabin, do take a photo, share and we can see what can be improve along the way. Few minds work wonders : )

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro, my mum's telling me to buy those big and tall fans it will blow the whole tank away hahaha

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro, my mum's telling me to buy those big and tall fans it will blow the whole tank away hahaha
    Dubbed the Hurricane fan, these fan are kopi tiam (kopi = coffee, tiam = shop) grade. These monsters are not difficult to assemble but comes as heavy duty and also power monsters, as in they operate in 80w and 90w region. Coming in in two sizes, namely 16" and 18", the 18" I got cost $79.90, other places might even sell up to $110 for this model. I always turn up I instead of or II or III. Just the slowest speed can compete with any fan you have in your house. You can goto Courts to "experience it". Courts by far have the lowest price based on my walkabout.

If I on this fan at night, I practically do not need air con. On a hot day, this fan is really a life saver even for human. Guaranteed if you do not mind the electrical bill but comparing to air-con it is still cheaper.

http://www.sona.com.sg/eCate/ProdDetail.aspx?ID=97

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i've got this as my bed fan, cannot handle the wind haha

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i've got this as my bed fan, cannot handle the wind haha
    So Felix is the only one who don't have har...poison him to get one. ^^

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

And so I got pictures to deliver. Currently im DIY-ing the hood using those aluminium trays as reflectors - hopefully it will do it's job. The clip is secured with a small piece of Styrofoam to prevent much movement. What's good about the E27 clip is that it has "teeth" at the edge of their clips to bite on the frame of my GEX tank

What i need now is the fan to be in place (circled in Black) - is this a good spot to blow the water?

I will hang the fan on the wall with the help of those 3M hooks i don't think clipping the fan onto the tank is a feasible idea

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1. Hardware store find a small thin rubber piece will do. Less than $5 usually.
    Can adjust slightly higher a bit. Maximum shining. Because the tank is shallow so should be able to receive the light. Mine is 45cm tall, so need to close to water surface.
    You need the space later to blow the fan.

2. It's the only spot...lol. So long you can blow the maximum area to encourage evaporation. (standby water to top up as well)
    As the light will be in direct path of the fan blowing, you should not worry about the light heating up as well. The reflector will conduct some heat as well. Even though the light heat isn't that much.

3. If you do not want clip fan, consider small desk fan. You can use wooden planks to make a stool or just get a wooden stool from hardware shop.
    Overlap the electrical socket then place the desk fan on top.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Long long time ago had.
    Clip on fan
    Air circulation fan
    120mm ac 220 fans.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There are also a lot of fans at Sim Lim Square PC accessories shops for the choosing. They can be modified to stand squarely on the edge of the tank to blow on the water surface. But they need a power adapter as they do not operate at mains voltage (12 volts or lower).
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

cherabin, do take a photo, share and we can see what can be improve along the way. Few minds work wonders : )
    I really have nothing concrete to show as of now just toying with the idea of a 4-tier shrimp rack with low profile tanks to ease the maintenance process. Most probably, fan cooled only as mentioned and thus, neocardinal shrimp species. Unless the itch hits and I decide to run a chiller with SS pipes to cool all tanks. But that will be another ball game as I still hasn't got a single clue how chiller and SS pipes work to cool multiple tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cherabin View Post
    I really have nothing concrete to show as of now just toying with the idea of a 4-tier shrimp rack with low profile tanks to ease the maintenance process. Most probably, fan cooled only as mentioned and thus, neocardinal shrimp species. Unless the itch hits and I decide to run a chiller with SS pipes to cool all tanks. But that will be another ball game as I still hasn't got a single clue how chiller and SS pipes work to cool multiple tanks.
    Maybe I try a 24-25C attempt on shrimp tank later on...hee hee.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    There are also a lot of fans at Sim Lim Square PC accessories shops for the choosing. They can be modified to stand squarely on the edge of the tank to blow on the water surface. But they need a power adapter as they do not operate at mains voltage (12 volts or lower).
    Most pc fans cfm not high enough in the 1st place. Unless we're talking about silverstone or some thermaltake models.

The ones likely to have good cfm will be running higher amp. Eg: 12v 1.7a.

You know those racks for 1-2u servers? The same fans are found in the direct ac driven fans in the lfs.

For those interested, clamps for those can be DIYed from stationary or can try purchasing it from lfs (the clamps for the ac ones as per attached picture, sorry if it's abit blur)

Tetrakid, a typical fan designed for 12v 0.25a will power up under a lower voltage like 5v 0.5a. Also it will run slower since delivered current is lower.

NOTE:This applies not to all pc fans

I do have a Sanyo denki 12v 2a 80mm fan you can test out if you want. It is very very powerful, hair standing I might quote.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

cooling 3000 effective but not lasting and noisy. owned one until it went to graveyard despite maintenace.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There's another possibility in the quest to cool shrimp tanks.

One can also hang a piece of good-sized towelling material behind the tank like a curtain which almost but not touching the glass. This cloth can be hung in such a way that the bottom part of it is inside a tray or long container filled with tap water. A small fan will be used to blow over this cloth and create cooling. The cloth must be very near the glass.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe I try a 24-25C attempt on shrimp tank later on...hee hee.
    Cool currently I'm doing 25-26C for a 40cm FR tank. Not too bad i guess. I just want to maybe try a little harder and go for a fan cooled CRS tank don't flame me yet as its just a 'maybe' and if things doesn't work out, what next but to get a chiller. Hehehe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cherabin View Post
    Cool currently I'm doing 25-26C for a 40cm FR tank. Not too bad i guess. I just want to maybe try a little harder and go for a fan cooled CRS tank don't flame me yet as its just a 'maybe' and if things doesn't work out, what next but to get a chiller. Hehehe.
    my 2ft can reach 24.xC why not? but like dz, change the light too.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast