Country
    Singapore

Dennerle CO 30

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I will be starting to setup my planted aquarium this saturday. Haven't decided to get which sizw of tank, probably 1.5ft becos afraid that my custom-made long deak may not take the weight of a larger tank (one end is with PC). By the way, bought a Dennerle CO 3- Flipper Set from Pet Safari. Can the CO2 supply be on for 24 hours? Got Dennerle gravel too, actually wanted to get Dennerle's Deponit Mix but it is too expensive. Heard JBL's Aquabasis should be cheaper, how much does it cost actually? Managed to buy some slates for decoration. Will get my tank, lights and filter this friday. Would like to know what kind of filter is suitable? internal or external filter? Hope to hear some comments from all of you. Thank you

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/4/2002 1:14:29 AM

Hi,
    I will be starting to setup my planted aquarium this saturday. Haven't decided to get which sizw of tank, probably 1.5ft becos afraid that my custom-made long deak may not take the weight of a larger tank (one end is with PC). By the way, bought a Dennerle CO 3- Flipper Set from Pet Safari. Can the CO2 supply be on for 24 hours? Got Dennerle gravel too, actually wanted to get Dennerle's Deponit Mix but it is too expensive. Heard JBL's Aquabasis should be cheaper, how much does it cost actually? Managed to buy some slates for decoration. Will get my tank, lights and filter this friday. Would like to know what kind of filter is suitable? internal or external filter? Hope to hear some comments from all of you. Thank you
    ----------------
    from what u describe, yr co2 cannot be controlled even though u want to, anyway, jus leave it 24/7 and see how yr fishes reacted to it.. if there is any sign of c02 poisoning then the next best thing is to remove the c02 at nite or supply o2.. yes JBL is a good and cheaper subtition of the dennerle deponit mix, shld cost ard $16-20.. for filter, a internal one will do jus fine.. recommend the eden 304 or fluval.. perharps u like to give us an idea of the plants u intended to have and the amount of lights to go with them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    with a small tank, you can probably get away with using an internal filter
    eheim has good internal filters, you can get them at petmart

as for the co2, don't worry
    the co 30 produces much less co2 than a cylinder, and it's impossible to overdose unless you use a reactor

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ray,

Welcome to our humble forum. Glad to hear you're starting a planted tank.

Since you haven't got your tank yet try getting the largest tank that can fit both in your place and in your budget. However, a 2ft tall tank would be great for planted tank. You can get it custom made to your dimensions in places like Soon Heng.

For filter, for a small tank internal filter will do fine. I've used the Eden 304 in my 2ft tank and it performed pretty well except for it's frequent cleaning. A canister external filter would be more appropriate if your tank was bigger.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi
    BTW, are you aware that there is a beginner set from Dennerle. It is suited for 60cm aquaria. Comes complete with 2.5 ky Deponit Mix, Crystal quartz 3.5kg, 2 pcs of decorative terrace stones and a 4 watts under gravel heating cable (not really needed though) but if you can keep the water colunm cool then it will work.
    cost about $100

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Maybe will add in oxygen supply, just a light one, together with C02, just for my fish. plants that i intend to use is riccia (foreground), xmas moss (background), umbrella plant and hairgrass. Not sure if it's good combination.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ray, u need at least 3watts per gal... I hope u adding O2 during the nite and not during the day.. or else, u r just wasting Co2

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    Anyway you can do this (adding O2) by allow surface agitation of the water at nite. Arr... can try to lift the outlet pipe of your filter to do that effect. Amano does this! So you save buying a O2 pump and electricity bill (negligible though) and more natural. But manually lah!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks alot Simon for your advise.
    will follow your instructions. i know now that is becos plant needs oxygen cos at night so will fight for oxygen with the fish. but can i on the light all thru the night to let them continue photosynthesis? for how long do i need to on the lights? i'm placing my tank near my window. Thanks for your advise

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    max 10hrs.. leaving it 24/7 wouldnt hope.. if during the day, yr plants produce enuff 02, then prolly enuff for the night.. u gotta test out

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so i have to on the lights for 8-10 hours per day? during the day or night? night have to off the lights or what? need some clarification, i am not very clear yet. is it that there's no point in switching on the lights at night?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kekeke... lighting period up to individual, some of us like to view them at nite when we go back home after a hard day's work.. use a timer, so wouldnt be a chore turning on/off the lights

my lighting hrs:
    8am - 12pm : ON
    12pm - 4.30pm : OFF
    4.30pm - 11.30pm : ON

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    huh.... like that isn't it more expensive? the timer is added yourself or it comes with the lighting when you purchase? how much does it cost?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for an analog one shld cost ard $18-$25, I use a digital one, which is more reliable and doesnt break down, cost ard $35

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean the timer or the light with timer? is the price for the timer only or the timer with the light? where to get them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan, the timer comes separate from everything else. you can buy them from any hardware/electrical shops or NTUC. If you tie everything together (multiple lights + CO2 solenoid) you will only need one timer. You plug a multi-plug onto the timer and everything else plugs into the multi-plug. Yah?

However, if you want staged lighting control (ie different tube goes off at different time, to create some "dimming" effect) you will need more timers.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ray,

Arr...I read you saying that you are placing the tank near the window![:0] Not a very good idea. The sunlight (although not direct on the tank) encourages algae growth and also raises the temperature. Try another spot. Or have a blind to prevent it if that is the most beautiful spot for the tank liow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    reduce the lighting duration if the tank is near to the window... I have 2 tanks at the same position and no c02, lighting hrs ard 4-6hrs(manual) add floating plants to block some of the sunlight and it will be fine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it's near window but most of the day the window will be closed. btw, is duckweed good? where to get them? how much do they cost? and also if i would like to do a terrace, where can i get the materials to do that, need alot of advise. for silicone sealant,is Selley's Clear Silicone Sealant suitable for aquarium? bought it long ago, not sure if it is appropriate

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    duckweed is good for taking up excess nutrients in the water.
    useful when you have algae problem.
    if you buy some plants from a ff, most likely you can get them free.
    it's like a pest to ff.

for silicone sealant, try to use those meant for aquarium use.
    else there could be some chemicals toxic to fishes.
    thomas liew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast