Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: help id media/substrate?? thanks:)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

help id media/substrate?? thanks:)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi everyone.. hope you can help me ID this rocks and subrate?

is this rocks can be use as media? thanks

red substrate.. some bros told me its a jbj substrate?

white ROCKS.. ?? my friend gave me and he told me can use as media. but looks like a normal pebbles to me?hehe

RED ROCKS..

hope you can help me guys.. thanks happy fish keeping to all!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: help id media/substrate?? thanks:)

1. Don't know.
    2. Looks like zeolite (can absorb excess ammonia)
    3. Looks like lava rock bits, can use a bio-media, but in my opinion, not as space efficient as other media.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Was told by my friend that lava rock bits can be used as bio-media but doesnt it affect tank PH? :S. The 1st picture looks like those land plant fertilizers. correct me if im wrong

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

1st and 2nd pic: Fracted clay balls. Can be used in an aquarium if no additives were added. I think these might be very lightweight and porous. Will probably float upwards unless they already absorbed water. You can probably use these as the bottom most layer with finer gravel for the upper layers of the substrate.

3rd pic: Not sure what rock that is, probably not zeolite since I can see at least one odd rock in there with grey and white parts, looks like a granite piece to me. I doubt they are suitable as filter media, but good as aquarium ornaments as long as they are inert. A simple vinegar drip test should be sufficient to tell whether they are safe or not.

4th and 5th pic: Lava rock, suitable as media. Depending on the composition, it may affect the pH but minimally I believe. I use it myself in the form of Eheim's Lava chips, and so far, no issues with pH.

Land plant fertilisers will be in smaller spherical form, and come in a multitude of colors.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 25th Mar 2012 at 16:29.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I believe those white rocks in photo 2 look like Seachem Matrix,maybe mixed with some granite pieces.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ohwww.. ok bro thanks a lot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Was told by my friend that lava rock bits can be used as bio-media but doesnt it affect tank PH? :S. The 1st picture looks like those land plant fertilizers. correct me if im wrong
    thanks bro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    1st and 2nd pic: Fracted clay balls. Can be used in an aquarium if no additives were added. I think these might be very lightweight and porous. Will probably float upwards unless they already absorbed water. You can probably use these as the bottom most layer with finer gravel for the upper layers of the substrate.

3rd pic: Not sure what rock that is, probably not zeolite since I can see at least one odd rock in there with grey and white parts, looks like a granite piece to me. I doubt they are suitable as filter media, but good as aquarium ornaments as long as they are inert. A simple vinegar drip test should be sufficient to tell whether they are safe or not.

4th and 5th pic: Lava rock, suitable as media. Depending on the composition, it may affect the pH but minimally I believe. I use it myself in the form of Eheim's Lava chips, and so far, no issues with pH.

Land plant fertilisers will be in smaller spherical form, and come in a multitude of colors.

thanks you very much bro.. helped a lot im just curious of it.. especiall the 1st pic cos i have one bag of it.. hahaha around 50kilos dont know what to dohehe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post

thanks you very much bro.. helped a lot im just curious of it.. especiall the 1st pic cos i have one bag of it.. hahaha around 50kilos dont know what to dohehe

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

only sure about the 2nd and 3rd items.

2. Seachem Matrix
    3. Lava rocks

Both can be used as filtration media.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Kuwait

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Yep they do look like osmocote. I've used a substrate similar to shape and size called "Artificial soil" by a company called dolphin. I'm guessing what you have is something similar, maybe test it to see if they lower the pH.
    2nd looks like matrix, I have some infront of me and it looks the same. 3rd, fractured lava rock, I believe a company called Dymax sells it like that for bio media.
    Regards,
    Jalal K.