Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Crs sos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi recent week i am experence CRS shrimp dying everyday. I have checked water parameter and there are nothing new added to my tank since day one. I am really sad everyday when i see them die. So any bro can help me out. Any recommendation to remedy this situation. Here is my tank set up and water parameter:

Amm: 0
    No2: 0
    No3: 25
    Gh: 3ppm
    KH: 2ppm
    TDS: 190 - 210
    PH: 6.5
    Temp: between 25.0 - 25.9
    Plant : Fern, Marimo ball, moss, mineral rock x 1

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Crs sos

is this a new tank setup?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Two months plus.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1) FTS?
    2) Soil use?
    3) What sort of test kit are you using?
    4) 1st cycling thing start to get upset during the 2nd and 3rd month during to poor cycling etc.
    5) Filteration use?
    6) Chiller or fan ?

Blab Blab Blab

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    A FTS photo helps too

Send from my GT-P1000 (Overcome 7 Series v4.0.0)
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Could it be the fertilizers from the ferns that is causing the deaths?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

did you do a full cycling before adding in your shrimps? you mentioned setup is around 2 months plus, so i suppose everything is from new?

I did not do proper cycling for my tank previously and started facing shrimp deaths from 2nd to 4th month. At peak, there were deaths every other day..

Water parameters readings okay doesnt necessarily equate to a matured stable tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

here's what i did previously, you may wish to take reference and coupled with some other suggestions given by others and try solve the issue.

water change using 1 big bottle of distilled water every 3rd day (same amount in and out), dose BT-9 after water change (initial week i doubled the dosage). Add also shizhen solution together with the distilled water before adding into the tank. Add the distilled water gradually.

by the way how big is your tank? Better to post a full tank shot.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wei View Post
    here's what i did previously, you may wish to take reference and coupled with some other suggestions given by others and try solve the issue.

water change using 1 big bottle of distilled water every 3rd day (same amount in and out), dose BT-9 after water change (initial week i doubled the dosage). Add also shizhen solution together with the distilled water before adding into the tank. Add the distilled water gradually.

Bro wei, you are doing 1 bottle of distilled water every 3 days is to reduce GH and TDS right? But if you are asking TS to do water change with just distilled coupled with BT9 and Shizhen, then the TS's tank will have a drop in GH and TDS.. Based on this, the shrimps inside might suffer GH or TDS shock... Distilled water is GH0 or TDS0... So after doing this kind of water change, I believe TS parameter will drop lower in GH and TDS... Which his GH is already at 3 currently based on what he said...
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There is a rational reason why distill is largely use nowadays shan't go into detail. If you're using distill purely do try and adjust the parameter of the distill to near tank parameter when adding. Have fun.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

He never said what size was his tank. 1 big bottle worth of water change could too drastic for a small tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tank size is 1.5ft. have done water change/top up with distilled water. by the way my tds reading had been 190 to 210 after tank has been cycled.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok but what is the rationale to use distilled water? Most people use distilled water to lower the GH but your GH is fine. So what is the treatment fixing?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Topping up with distilled water is for evaporation due to using fan to cool my tank. water change weekly with age tap water. By the way death rate seems to cool down for last two days. Will update if what i have added last two days actually help

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Your param is fine.. I prefer my GH to be higher actually.

The best course of action now is to add active carbon somewhere. Either in your canister or HOF. I think there may be some contamination in your water causing this. See if this helps. Remember to read the instructions on when you should replace the active carbon..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalyte View Post
    Your param is fine.. I prefer my GH to be higher actually.

The best course of action now is to add active carbon somewhere. Either in your canister or HOF. I think there may be some contamination in your water causing this. See if this helps. Remember to read the instructions on when you should replace the active carbon..
    Hi, by adding in active carbon right now will it affect my tank water parameter? I have been thinking of this for sometime. Any suggestion which one should i use for HOF filter?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Alvin & Cheetf,

My apologies for not clarifiying in previous post. My tank is 2ftx1x1.5, hence 1 bottle would not have that great impact compared to a much smaller tank. Thats also why i asked TS about his tank size also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Death will slow down to eventually a stop but the problem will resurface when you add new Shrimps in..... If I am not wrong you can give it try.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Alvin & Cheetf,

My apologies for not clarifiying in previous post. My tank is 2ftx1x1.5, hence 1 bottle would not have that great impact compared to a much smaller tank. Thats also why i asked TS about his tank size also.
    Don't have to apologize.. Just worried that if the TS followed your method of water change, he might be reducing his GH lower and lower.. End up he has more problems... But he did clarify that he uses distilled water for top up & aged tap for water change already...
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Alvin, you did raise a very valid concern.

TS's GH is at a comparatively low of 3. Though my tank was facing similar frequent deaths, my GH was at 9 (if i recall correctly).

One thing i am quite sure and that i had learned the hard way, was to do proper water cycling, NEVER to rush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast