Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For some people, by the time the tank is cycled, interest in fish would have been lost. This is because the real interest is in the fish rather than all the 'troublesome' stuff. So to start with, one must really have an 'obsession' for fish, rather than treating it as just a casual hobby, as much commitment and dedication is required.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    Yup exactly. the instruction states put strip in water and stir twice. Take it out immediately read gh & kh then wait 30sec for nitrite and nitrate and PH.
    I thought kh and gh reading usually are single digit that's why i'm shock to see 3 digit referencing to the color coding.
    Yes the temptation is there because i have been string at an empty tank for 1month
    its like cold turkey
    I dunno, maybe I am not chemistry person. I do have gh, kh test solution base test kits, but I measure ph more often. You can have a water parameter hobby or a fish hobby or planted tank hobby or plant hobby or even algae fighting hobby. It's a matter of choice.

Like I said, any bros nearby your place to help you test instead?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Will get the solution test kit and test the water since need it in future. Can I use liquid fertilizer like brighty K and special lights during tank cycling?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^^ if you wanna cultivate algae...Hee Hee...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    ^^ if you wanna cultivate algae...Hee Hee...
    Ohhhh... Ok noted

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi All,

I have just measure my water using solution base test kit (Sera brand). Ammonia , Nitrite and Nitrate are in lightest yellow range which is 0 however my pH is 7.5 and TDS 380
    I'm using ADA Amazonia 2 soil and thought that the soil is acidic itself. Any advice on my next step?
    I did a 10% water change yesterday afternoon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi All,

I have just measure my water using solution base test kit (Sera brand). Ammonia , Nitrite and Nitrate are in lightest yellow range which is 0 however my pH is 7.5 and TDS 380
    I'm using ADA Amazonia 2 soil and thought that the soil is acidic itself. Any advice on my next step?
    I did a 10% water change yesterday afternoon.
    Okay, I will touch a bit about aging of water without a lot of chemistry reference.

Why oh why do you age water?
    Now we already know that tap water contains Chlorine and Chloramine, yah? Wrong. By the time water reaches us, the amount of Chlorine isn't that much BUT the chloramine is still there in traces. Forumers will use anti-chloramine (so call dechlorinating solution) to remove the chloramine. So why age water? The normal argument is for Chlorine to evaporate....not much so. Now water source in Singapore differs in PH greatly depending of the respective area waterworks. For you to get an accurate PH reading, you need to age the water or wait for the water to get stabilised. This reading is referred to as true PH.

So first thing first, look for your area waterworks which publishes the PH readings. Wait 1 day more before water change, measure the PH in the tank, then do the comparison. If you put in rocks, try to remove those rocks first. So the current reading might not be accurate as well. Each time you water change, you disturb the PH.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for information. In that I'll let the water cycle for 1 week and measure the ph daily. Does this means that the soil loses the acidity?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

: ) You forgot to read up first on your substrate?
    The information above (on water aging) has already been discussed in AQ a few times, hence a little search (plus google) and read up would benefit you in the long run. I must say, I am one who do not practise the above aging process. My water is stable enough to handle newly added water with some dechlorination and aerating the water. I use Amazonia II as well. Beside power sand, power sand special, I also have a whole bottle of bacter 100. My range of fert dosage is not from ADA, but Seachem, quite a number of them. :P

http://www.adana.com.sg/productsPage/ada_substrate.html

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Read that amazon soil have effect of lowering Ph and hardness of water. Hopefully the Ph will go down after sometime

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For my case, my ph with my Ada 2 soil actually started very low. Way below 6. After sometime, it will slowly increase abit and stable about 6.2 to 6.4.

Read that amazon soil have effect of lowering Ph and hardness of water. Hopefully the Ph will go down after sometime

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

pH 7.5 and TDS of 380, that can only mean that something in the tank or the filter is keeping it alkaline, or your tap water contains higher than usual amount of calcium carbonate that PUB adds as a buffer in the water. ADA Amazonia II typically pushes the pH down to around 5-5.5 initially, and within 24 hours. There must be something else present that is causing your water to be that alkaline, or your test kits are faulty. If you want to reduce the alkalinity of the water, do water changes with distilled water instead of tap water during this phase.

http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/waters...Treatment.aspx

There are parts of Singapore where the tap water is quite alkaline.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That is correct. Stormy made the point, so compare waterworks aka tap and tank diff, you might require to consider aging water, ro water or distiller. It maybe about choice, but what you choose will affect the outcome.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Bro darrentyl , stormhawk and Bluewhale for all your informative inputs. I have 5 pc of seiryu rock in my tank since day 1 and today is the 33rd day of cycling. I will heed all your advice and use distilled water for water change.
    Can i check how many % should i change and frequency?
    Currently there is brown algae on my tank and i have turn on my light 24hrs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Bro darrentyl , stormhawk and Bluewhale for all your informative inputs. I have 5 pc of seiryu rock in my tank since day 1 and today is the 33rd day of cycling. I will heed all your advice and use distilled water for water change.
    Can i check how many % should i change and frequency?
    Currently there is brown algae on my tank and i have turn on my light 24hrs
    Consider a timer switch and limit to 7-9hrs of lighting. To get rid of brown algae, off the lights and it will collapse by itself. For control wise, usually otos are introduced in, very good town council members.
    As long as water is clear, you do not have to do anything to the water. However, if you wish to adjust water parameters, 10-30% change will suffice. In extreme conditions, as much as 80-100% water change will be required, E.g. too much Co2.

One side note:
    Since you are at the setting up stage, google "iwagumi setup instructions" and youtube "iwagumi setup" for the night. You can do the actual work tomorrow. This will better prepare you.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Consider a timer switch and limit to 7-9hrs of lighting. To get rid of brown algae, off the lights and it will collapse by itself. For control wise, usually otos are introduced in, very good town council members.
    As long as water is clear, you do not have to do anything to the water. However, if you wish to adjust water parameters, 10-30% change will suffice. In extreme conditions, as much as 80-100% water change will be required, E.g. too much Co2.

One side note:
    Since you are at the setting up stage, google "iwagumi setup instructions" and youtube "iwagumi setup" for the night. You can do the actual work tomorrow. This will better prepare you.
    Noted, during this process of cycling is it advisable to turn on C02? What water parameters does oto required?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Noted, during this process of cycling is it advisable to turn on C02? What water parameters does oto required?
    CO2 is for plant, if you have plants, you can have CO2. Else, I can't imagine the fish enters the water and say "Urgh...no air, I die let you see!"

Time for more readings: ^o^/
    http://www.otocinclus.com/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is how my tank looks like currently:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 is for plant, if you have plants, you can have CO2. Else, I can't imagine the fish enters the water and say "Urgh...no air, I die let you see!"

Time for more readings: ^o^/
    http://www.otocinclus.com/
    Thanks Blue Whale , good article on otos!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi I have just measure the tds of my tap water and it's 68ppm. Am using HM digital tds meter. Is this safe range? Do I still need distilled water?

Does adding mosura old sea mud increase tds?
    Last edited by oasis; 5th Apr 2012 at 21:08.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast