I think not enough...
    2 x 24 Watt T5 light

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New Tank

Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    2 x 24 Watt T5 light
    You most likely need 4x24 instead of another 2x24 (no space).
    Your plants seem to be struggling for light.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    You most likely need 4x24 instead of another 2x24 (no space).
    Your plants seem to be struggling for light.
    Oh, that's what i thought so too. Maybe that's why my glosso is growing upwards.
    Bro Blue Whale and advice on the tds portion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I can't advice on TDS and I studied accounts, no chemistry. But obvious the lighting not enough.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    After changing 10% of distilled water the tds reading went down to 300ppm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is green water suitable as food for fish fry?

So far, as far as possible, I like my fish to be in healthy green water. But almost every other person hates Algae in their tanks, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    ^^ if you wanna cultivate algae...Hee Hee...
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Is green water suitable as food for fish fry?

So far, as far as possible, I like my fish to be in healthy green water. But almost every other person hates Algae in their tanks, lol.
    Use Drift Wood to "capture" or "invite" the algae to grow lor....this way algae won't anyhow grow elsewhere. Then it's about balance between the plant and algae already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The Algae that grows on surfaces is a different strain from Green Water Algae, which is suspended in the water, making it green. When this Green Water Algae dies, it lands on the top surfaces and turns brown.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oasis, that TDS level is fine. Adding Old Sea Mud should increase TDS. I believe it's basically montmorillonite or something close. Brown algae growing on your rocks is normal. You should start worrying it if was BBA or something else. 68 is quite low and I think you should cut back on the distilled water now. You might want to read up in the Planted tanks section, so you understand better on what is going on in your tank.

Off-topic:

@Ted,

Green water is a suspension of both animal and plant matter, in the form of protists and free-floating algae. In most green water cultures you will encounter Euglena, a type of zooplankton that can photosynthesize by itself. If you want to encourage green water, purchase a starter culture from the GC shopkeeper, keep a vat or tank close to source of sunlight and keep one or two goldfish, or guppies/platies in there along with snails. Over time, the green water will bloom to insane levels, then you can feed it to your fry with a dropper or turkey baster.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi stormhawk, my tap water tds is measure at about 77ppm currently. Last measure of my tank water last night is ph7.5 and tds 280ppm. Do i still need to cut back on distilled water? can i check what is BBA?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    This is stressful man trying to get water parameters right. On the verge of giving up

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it advisable le for me to start all over again?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ah, thanks for the tip. Actually I prefer my green tank to be my main fish tank, as I am doing now, but I don't know what strain it is, just that it's green. It may be odd, but somehow, I relish green water very much, and I am convinced my fish also feel comfortable in it than in clear water, lol.

By green water, of course I mean nice and balanced clean green water and not murky and unhealthy cloudy water.
    But I will go to GC to get the algae when I want to cultivate a pure culture later.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Off-topic: @Ted,
    Green water is a suspension of both animal and plant matter, in the form of protists and free-floating algae. In most green water cultures you will encounter Euglena, a type of zooplankton that can photosynthesize by itself. If you want to encourage green water, purchase a starter culture from the GC shopkeeper, keep a vat or tank close to source of sunlight and keep one or two goldfish, or guppies/platies in there along with snails. Over time, the green water will bloom to insane levels, then you can feed it to your fry with a dropper or turkey baster.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Oasis, that TDS level is fine. Adding Old Sea Mud should increase TDS. I believe it's basically montmorillonite or something close. Brown algae growing on your rocks is normal. You should start worrying it if was BBA or something else. 68 is quite low and I think you should cut back on the distilled water now. You might want to read up in the Planted tanks section, so you understand better on what is going on in your tank.

Off-topic:

@Ted,

Hi stormhawk, when you mention bba do you mean black beard algae? How does it actually look like? I have some web like stuff on my plants right now

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    Hi stormhawk, when you mention bba do you mean black beard algae? How does it actually look like? I have some web like stuff on my plants right now
    Remove it manually. It will spread. Bad guy, search and destroy type.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think you can start to cut back on your distilled water. What is the current pH of your tap water? Mine is 7.2 and 120+ TDS out of the tap. You can probably do 50/50 mix of tap water and distilled water for the next few water changes. The pH should be dropping by now, but if it stays the same then it's probably your rocks that is keeping it alkaline.

For a pic of BBA, the cause and remedy, see this blog:
    http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Scroll down and you will see BBA pictures. It's one of the hardest to eradicate.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi stormhawk, the water straight from my tap ph is 7.5 and tds 90. I'm using biohome plus in my ehiem canister filter. Heard that there is a batch that fluctuate ph is that true?

On a side note my plants have some web like substance. Looks like cob webs any idea what is that?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i have remove all the rocks yesterday afternoon and water change 10%. Which mean the tank has only soil and plants in it.
    this am when i measure my ph is about 7.5 . sigh

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like your soil is not able to buffer the ph down. Think you might want to consider changing the substance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast