Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

green algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi! how can i prevent green algae growing in glass tank? sorry im a newbie in fishkeeping.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: green algae

Some Oto should do the job

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oto does not eat green algae. There not much you can do on green spot algae, nerite snail will help. The best is scrape it during water change.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oto like to eat the brown type (diatom), it will try to eat normal ones on glass but they never seem to do it fast enough.
    As shadow mention, nerite can help but they effective but slow..

i use calling cards to scarpe them off when i do WC, only when i deem GSA are too much.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Does shrimps help in algae control??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh ok,will scrape them off on my next WC while looking for nerites. Thanks shadow and felix.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought this L183 pleco for it's beauty at c328 for $9. Didn't realise it help to clean my tank of GSA.

So far I need not scrap off GSA of tank as there isn't any left by morning. You can try but it cost $9 for something like 5cm in length.

Maybe the normal pleco will do but I find them ugly and will grow fast for my tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh nice one!will look consider that pleco for sure. But can apple snails help clean too? Thanks for the pleco suggestion bro.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is nice and will it disturb the substrate and foreground plants ? my tank is 3 weeks and today I spotted these gsa on the glass

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    I bought this L183 pleco for it's beauty at c328 for $9. Didn't realise it help to clean my tank of GSA.

So far I need not scrap off GSA of tank as there isn't any left by morning. You can try but it cost $9 for something like 5cm in length.

Maybe the normal pleco will do but I find them ugly and will grow fast for my tank.
    i am looking for a hard working pleco. thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Greenie,

How effective is this pleco? What is your tank size? I have a cube 50cm tank. Do they disturb/eat shrimp? I now have 2 otos, 3 nerite snails with a dozen of cherry shrimps but still having issue with GSA. Hoping to find a solution rather then keep scraping it off the glass every few days.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, have you tried Golden Algae Eater?

It's a nice little long fish about 2inches long, and costs about $1.00. Just buy one and try it in your small tank for one week. It worked magic for my tank, clear glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by tryo View Post
    Hi Greenie,
    How effective is this pleco? What is your tank size? I have a cube 50cm tank. Do they disturb/eat shrimp? I now have 2 otos, 3 nerite snails with a dozen of cherry shrimps but still having issue with GSA. Hoping to find a solution rather then keep scraping it off the glass every few days.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It happens. I add oto, nerite snails and dose npk + trace to minimise. It helps but does not eradicate the issue. Next is just scrape it off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Hi, have you tried Golden Algae Eater?

It's a nice little long fish about 2inches long, and costs about $1.00. Just buy one and try it in your small tank for one week. It worked magic for my tank, clear glass.
    Golden algae eater really helps in GSA on glass ? I was thinking to buy the magnetic glass scraper to do this job but if the GAE can perform the task much better, need not have to scrub every now and then.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't know about you, but after my three tiny Golden Algae Eaters have polished up my 2 ft glass tank clean, they were starved to death with no more algae to eat. They died of hunger. Though they are tiny fish, they can eat a lot of Algae. They eat Algae on ALL the surfaces.

So I would recommend that you only get one single fish and not a few. After your tank glass is crystal clear, you can loan it to a friend and friends. If you continue to keep it, it will die of hunger.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlessChwee View Post
    Golden algae eater really helps in GSA on glass ? I was thinking to buy the magnetic glass scraper to do this job but if the GAE can perform the task much better, need not have to scrub every now and then.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have put in one golden algae eater since last friday and it's not doing anything but laze and hiding behind. I am considering to buy that L183 but wonder if it will disturb the substrate and eat my juvenile cherry shrimps. Lastresort will be the magnetic scrapper then ..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You bought adult?
    IMHO Juveniles work best.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    You bought adult?
    IMHO Juveniles work best.
    The size is around 2" and all that I see at the lfs are this size. I am still thinking if to get the L183 from C328 tonight after work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

tips to share . i got 3 otto and 5 yamato . they took less than 2 hours to clean up the whole tank .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi what is the term L183 and c328 ??? are they name of the shops or fishes ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast