3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Crypt Melt

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have just rescape my 2' tank earlier last week and planted predominantly crypt sp. Substrate is ADA Amazinia II with no CO2 injection and illuminated by a single 55W PLL. Water filling up is a complete 100% from tap. No dosing of fertilizers.

I am now experiencing very bad crypt melt to all the sp; wendtii, walkeri, pygmae to name a few. The melt is to the extent where essentially there're no leaves on the plant I can be patient but will the flora eventually adapt and start sprouting new leaves?

Have never encounter this type of scenerio before and would hence like to seek advice and opinion of experience hobbyist here.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rhizome still there during planting?
    I see that alot with my wendtii when I got them, within 1-2 weeks you should see new growth.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Crypt Melt

Yes, rhizomes definitely still intact when planted. Just crossing fingers that they'll spring back.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So long as that intact most should spring back to life. A minor few might not make it if the rhizomes are too small.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Most of them will grow back and even much nicer than before as I encounter the same thing with my wendtii tropical and brown and the parva too. It is quite normal to have crypts melt when they are in a new environment. I even have crypt melt after I done a 75% water change but they all grow back eventually though quite slow.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Water filling up is a complete 100% from tap.... Did you use de-chlorinate tap water before filling up your tank?

The melt is to the extent where essentially there're no leaves on the plant... Not a good sign, the rhizome might melt and no sprout new leaves. Try to pull out the rhizome and see whether are the roots still intact.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanoob View Post
    Most of them will grow back and even much nicer than before as I encounter the same thing with my wendtii tropical and brown and the parva too. It is quite normal to have crypts melt when they are in a new environment. I even have crypt melt after I done a 75% water change but they all grow back eventually though quite slow.
    Agree on the slow part haha.
    Even between my own tanks I see melting.
    But I find if I didn't cut part of the roots, the regrowing is much slower.

Semi-Active currently