Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 24hrs LFS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yup 1 bridge distance I used to walk to an LFS in that area before it closed down. Did not know that Se7en Star is there. These days I only visit C328, Polyart and GC.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Yup 1 bridge distance I used to walk to an LFS in that area before it closed down. Did not know that Se7en Star is there. These days I only visit C328, Polyart and GC.
    You lucky...woodlands here nothing much. I always have to travel.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My place also same same, one LFS very boring to go to and tubifex sometimes not fresh, so I have to travel to C328 etc to get my fix. Lucky Hong Yang is around because I really don't like hatching BBS if I can find "boon" easily. I thought at Marsiling still got other LFS?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My place also same same, one LFS very boring to go to and tubifex sometimes not fresh, so I have to travel to C328 etc to get my fix. Lucky Hong Yang is around because I really don't like hatching BBS if I can find "boon" easily. I thought at Marsiling still got other LFS?
    I goto interchange already half an hour, the word marsiling sounds near to woodlands but the area is actually quite big. I might as well go Yishun Aquastar or Y618. But if I go Y618, I might as well go JZX...hee. Always a heart for something else. At least the LFS at the market at your place is quite good, always stable water condition, water parameters are closely guarded by the English speaking uncle. The auntie however, cannot make it. Always trying to sell things that you do not need without even proper understanding of how it works. Ask her chim chim stuffs and she will go blur already. The other problem is that this uncle opening time is depending on his mood...ha ha...something Wilfred and myself find it amusing.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    But personally, I would rather travel to PolyArt than 7-star if I want to do some decent shopping. Of course, if C328 opens 24-hr, that will be the best. Anyway I only goto 7-star to get my supply of tubifex worms.

Do you patronise it regularly?
    Yup, pass by everyday to check on what's new.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I know about Hong Yang but Se7en Star is closer to where I live. Looks like I can skip this LFS since the supply of boon at Hong Yang is very constant.

Where is this ST96?
    sungei tengah unit 96 ( not very sure about the spelling but should be something like that.) they are located in CCK farmway that area.. address is :96 Sungei Tengah Rd Singapore 698992(took it from google maps )
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No personal transport not easy to go there. I think Ronnie used to get his supply there.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No personal transport not easy to go there. I think Ronnie used to get his supply there.
    hitch a ride up lo hehehehe... normally i go there to get my usual supply of feeders now have to have steady supply of boon(daphnia) as i'm learning the arts of breeding fishes (lol still noob in this )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, lots of new LFS that i am not aware of like aquastar and ployart... Will check out these places as well. Any recommendation which of these places are best place for

1) fishes
    2) equipment

Thanks bro.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinsons View Post
    Wow, lots of new LFS that i am not aware of like aquastar and ployart... Will check out these places as well. Any recommendation which of these places are best place for

1) fishes
    2) equipment

Thanks bro.
    Suggest you see for yourself. Aquastar alone spam 5 units. Just imagine C328, minus half load then 5 units of shop floor area. Y618 spam 2 units. Aquastar brother, Y618 sister...related by blood. Family operated. They ain't 24/7 but worth your trip down. There are so many fine LFS around like Pasir Ris fishfarm, NA, Hong Yang, JZX, etc. etc. Got time better for you to work around, it will be eye opener.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by icefire View Post
    hitch a ride up lo hehehehe... normally i go there to get my usual supply of feeders now have to have steady supply of boon(daphnia) as i'm learning the arts of breeding fishes (lol still noob in this )
    Polyart uncle told me they have these baby food (boon) everyday. Steady supply. One pack $1.50, about 25-30cm long plastic bag. So call them before going down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Suggest you see for yourself. Aquastar alone spam 5 units. Just imagine C328, minus half load then 5 units of shop floor area. Y618 spam 2 units. Aquastar brother, Y618 sister...related by blood. Family operated. They ain't 24/7 but worth your trip down. There are so many fine LFS around like Pasir Ris fishfarm, NA, Hong Yang, JZX, etc. etc. Got time better for you to work around, it will be eye opener.
    Thanks and will check them out.

Is your led lamp from Sirius or beam works or DIY type? I am also using led, but not these brands but sourced outside Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinsons View Post
    Thanks and will check them out.

Is your led lamp from Sirius or beam works or DIY type? I am also using led, but not these brands but sourced outside Singapore.
    I actually do not know where the term "LED" comes from. Frankly speaking, these are functional lights, not LEDs. These are housing lighting grade, the correct term is called Compact Fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). These are low cost, energy saving lightings which has existed for a long time. I started deploying all these lights in year 2000 to my house when I move in. It saves a lot on utilities bill. One set of holder say $6.50 and one light is say $3.50. Basically you can own a set for just $10 with a running cost of say 8w or 11w, depending on what you choose generating 40w and 60w respectively. A 14w bulb generates 75W. 18w generates 100w. Can you see the benefit? Now that is not all, the kelvin light is 6500k. For people who measure lumen, it is 600, 54 Im/W.

I am not technical on electrical, so I go after 6500K, how many watt generates how many watt. 1 8W light is sufficient to light up your room.

Philip website gives the details.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. As in the name it emits light out from the the diode. I guess you are using CFL. They are basically flourecent tubes. The high performance ones are T5HO as in high output (HO)

Before I changed to the LED I was using the T5HO x 4 tubes. Each tube is 54w and in total I need 216w of power to have a good light output for my planted fish tank. The light efficiency wiil reduce after 3 to 6 months. By then the 20,000lumens that i have will be reduced to 10,000lumens and far lower after 6months of using the T5. We are all recommended to change our tubes after 6~9 months to maintain effectiveness of the T5 and this is the reason. Or before the ballast dies on us before the T5 does.

LED are a lot more effecient and requires lower power output. Instead of 216w usage, I only need 88w from my LED lamp. Saving $$$ on the electrical bills with the higher quartely cost increase that we are experiencing now. The temperature is for sure lower now and can even grow moss without a chiller to my surprise. The LED lamp bar is small and neat. I have same performance output using the LED. It had a life of 50,000 hrs vs 10,000hrs for T5.

I will attach some picture of the lamp and the result of the lights in my next post.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Re: 24hrs LFS?

My place also same same, one LFS very boring to go to and tubifex sometimes not fresh...
    Which LFS is this?

...Lucky Hong Yang is around because I really don't like hatching BBS if I can find "boon" easily. I thought at Marsiling still got other LFS?
    Where's Hong Yang, & can small corydoras take "boon"?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Market shop at BB West near NTUC. I skip tubifex these days and use grindal worms. If not the Corydoras get pellets most of the time. Hong Yang is at CCK Central block 304? I think. Can check the merchant section for their address.

Small Corydoras will take "boon". Just need to turn off the filter for a short while so the fish can snap up all the "boon" they can eat. My hastatus will literally go for the "boons" mid-water. For other Cory species, freezing them in small cubes might be worthwhile. The larger species seem to ignore these puny morsels, so a frozen form is better. Best to freeze when they're fresh, but long term may not be productive because they lose a lot of nutrients after they die. The thawing process can leach out a lot of these nutrients as the cube de-frosts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Polyart uncle told me they have these baby food (boon) everyday. Steady supply. One pack $1.50, about 25-30cm long plastic bag. So call them before going down.
    their so called boon is mostly BBS lol.. drop by a few times and sad to say i'm disappointed

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If for cory, bao zeng hong is a tasty and healthy food, supplement with algae wafer. BZH is good, most fish eat them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A Puzzling Question About Tubifex Worms

I have kept a big sample of live Tubifex worms specially bought for experimentation purposes in a plastic container with good aeration. I do not use this sample for feeding my fish. I change the water with aged water every day and also whenever I see it murky.

So far, after many days, I do not see any dead worms when I change the water. The worms have been lively and always waving in the aerated water. I do not pour out any worms during the water change but only the water.

What puzzling is that each day, the amount of worms keep on reducing, and each day it is much less than the previous day. And I had been careful not to pour out any worms when I did the water changes.

Anyone has any idea what happened?

LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A Puzzling Question About Tubifex Worms

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I have kept a big sample of live Tubifex worms specially bought for experimentation purposes in a plastic container with good aeration. I do not use this sample for feeding my fish. I change the water with aged water every day and also whenever I see it murky.

So far, after many days, I do not see any dead worms when I change the water. The worms have been lively and always waving in the aerated water. I do not pour out any worms during the water change but only the water.

What puzzling is that each day, the amount of worms keep on reducing, and each day it is much less than the previous day. And I had been careful not to pour out any worms when I did the water changes.

Anyone has any idea what happened?

I wonder how do those LFS keep their stock of Tubifex worms alive over such long periods? I observe most of them just use a shallow pail, water & an airstone...

@tetrakid, may I know how you are aerating your worms' container? & are they in near-contact with your airstone, if any? Because last time I tried to keep them in a container with "aggressive" aeration, they managed to last longer but still barely made a week. Only thing I think may be causing the die-off is that I actually pile the worms on top of an airstone so that they are always tumbling through the water column.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast