Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: help!~ C02 cylinder leaking?

Feedback Score

help!~ C02 cylinder leaking?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This morning i woke up to find my C02 cylinder emitting a 'hissing' sound and also found a lot of condensation on the regulator side. Certain parts of the cylinder were very cold esp. the regulator part and the bottom of the cylinder.

This is quite weird as it's been working fine for the past 2 month plus or so since I last topped it up and also switched to a new solenoid regulator.

What I did was I quickly shut off the main valve(of which while I was still only half awake), released all the air in the regulator n slowly tightened the regulator side using a wrench until it turned one full circle(which was quite hard to do cos it was already very tight). I remember reading someone's post about loose parts being possible deadly 'flying projectiles'. I must admit that passed thru my mind!

What I'd like to ask the more experienced guys out here is that is there anything else I should do/take note of? Or can anyone actually explain why out of a sudden it decides to leak?....... Cos I find this really puzzling.... It's seems to be back to normal now.... PSI's at 1000 back again n there's no more hissing sound....... however i'm still on my toes.....

Thanks in advance to whoever answers/comments on this....

- Eddie

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    first thing I think you should do it test for leakage at the joints.. use soap... did you use any white tape on the tread of the cylinder?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check your O-ring...it might be worn or torn. Like Simon says... check with soapy water for any possible points of leakage.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    thanks a lot guys...

will try the soap thingy.....

btw..... which one's the 'O-ring' ?...................

Eddie

Feedback Score
    Images
    The O ring is located inside the joint part of the regulator, a white plastic-like ring. 1 thing that puzzle me is that why you're still able to tighten the regulator for another full round? It should not have sure a big allowance for that.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Be very careful when you test your regulator with soap. Water is a good conductor of electricity . Your regulator might conduct current when you switch it on after testing.

What i'll encourage is change your O ring or get a better regulator. IMO Taiwan made regulator isn't ideal for this job. Spend a bit more for a peaceful mind.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what benetay is referring to as the regulator is actually the black part, the solenoid
    try not to hit that part with water