3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to ensure fishes do not grow big

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everybody, currently I have a tank of Malawi cichlids.

I do not want them to grow too big, if possible not to grow in size at all.

Is that possible?

Of course I do not want to starve them until they are skinny and ugly.

I still want them to have a proper diet and nutrition.

If I put them in a tank with less swimming spaces, will that help?

Presently, their sizes range from 1-2 inches.

Some of them will grow to 4-5 inches naturally.

Any advise is deeply appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to ensure fishes do not grow big

vegeterian diet. feed once a day. cheap aquatic plants for them to chew to brush their teeth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is impossible to control the growth of the fishes unless you starve them or keep them in a smaller tank. Doing so amounts to torture and it is not recommended. Different species grow to different sizes hence you cannot totally control their growth rates. You can slow it down by feeding them less every day, but eventually they will get big.

Why not control the population of fish your filtration or tank can handle? Some people are able to overcrowd their tanks because of excellent filtration, but as always, the risk is there. If there was a power failure, it is highly likely that some of the fish will die.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fish size is defined by its genetics, eat like a GuNiang (girl), and be one. Meaning it may not be strong in the long run. You are the god to the fish, what you do thus defines the lifespan of the fish. Should be mindful about this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do not buy fish before knowing how big they can grow, especially if it is to be kept in a group or shoal. But even sparse fish like Plecos can grow too big for comfort. It is not healthy for the fish if we stunt their natural growth. It is better to buy small fish or big fish according to future plans, intentions, etc.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Do not buy fish before knowing how big they can grow, especially if it is to be kept in a group or shoal. But even sparse fish like Plecos can grow too big for comfort. It is not healthy for the fish if we stunt their natural growth. It is better to buy small fish or big fish according to future plans, intentions, etc.
    My friend keep gold fish in 2ft and didn't grow much. When he pass to me for 3 weeks (he go vacation), he shock to see his fish sized up. I use 1 ft only.
    Environmental and dietary factor plays a part in fish growth. If a person do not know the "optimum" environment and "best" dietary, the fish will grow at a much much slower pace compared to a more experienced person. Just do at your pace. Since you bought the fish already, just look after them until they aged.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Check which ones your have now, you can't keep those that will grow too big for your tank eventually.
    Trying to limit growth is not a good thing to do, it's quite cruel to force them to stay small.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That is so true. Fish in a smaller tank grow naturally, according to the environment. Their growth is not forcefully 'stunted' as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    My friend keep gold fish in 2ft and didn't grow much. When he pass to me for 3 weeks (he go vacation), he shock to see his fish sized up. I use 1 ft only.
    Environmental and dietary factor plays a part in fish growth. If a person do not know the "optimum" environment and "best" dietary, the fish will grow at a much much slower pace compared to a more experienced person. Just do at your pace. Since you bought the fish already, just look after them until they aged.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That is so true. Fish in a smaller tank grow naturally, according to the environment. Their growth is not forcefully 'stunted' as such.
    Growth is not defined by tank size. I use planted tank water, he use normal water. I feed meat, he feed vegetables. I use 1 ft, he use 2ft. Total 5 lionheads.
    Both in non-planted tank style, just air pump, filter, water, no plants, no soil.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the interesting replies so far. I am attaching pictures of my tank for everybody's viewing and opinions.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/img3887z.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/img3886w.jpg/

I just hope my fishes will be happy and not grow too big. Will evaluate all replies and opinions. Thanks to all bros!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In my opinion, if we have lots if fishes, an over-crowding tank and due to the lack of space, the fishes will not grow so fast. Also because of many fishes, they have to "fight" for food, therefore they will not grow very big, but they will grow to their full-grown size slower. The point here is slower but they will grow give the chance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I disagree that over-crowding will result in fish growing slow.
    Because, they will end up starting to kill each other. Predator Class. Survival of the fittest.

As the fish god, everyone should be mindful about overcrowding. Can have retribution one.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bettas have the best life. They either live in their own 'shoebox units' or huge mansions, all on their own.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not bettas sororities. A bunch of females can live together.
    But this is out of topic of the thread.
    More than ONE fish = Fish
    More than ONE species of fish = Fishes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am just thinking of setting up a Betta community tank for females, maybe can even use them for breeding later. Some females can be colorful too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

vegeterian diet. feed once a day. cheap aquatic plants for them to chew to brush their teeth.
    Bro, can share more about what type of plants help them to chew and brush their teeth. How does this help to slow their growth? Or is this only for vegetarian diet?

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    It is impossible to control the growth of the fishes unless you starve them or keep them in a smaller tank. Doing so amounts to torture and it is not recommended. Different species grow to different sizes hence you cannot totally control their growth rates. You can slow it down by feeding them less every day, but eventually they will get big.

Why not control the population of fish your filtration or tank can handle? Some people are able to overcrowd their tanks because of excellent filtration, but as always, the risk is there. If there was a power failure, it is highly likely that some of the fish will die.
    I agree that we shouldn't starve them, like what we saw in some LFS, whereby some fishes are so skinny to the bare bone. I also do not want to confine them to very small spaces. I just want to ensure they do not outgrow my tank size to their own discomfort. It is well known that to control aggression for African cichlids, you either have very few fishes and lots of hiding spaces, or have lots of fishes with moderate to many hiding spaces. I am presently considering the latter as my tank has got a sump, which helps tremendously in maintaining food filtration.

Fish size is defined by its genetics, eat like a GuNiang (girl), and be one. Meaning it may not be strong in the long run. You are the god to the fish, what you do thus defines the lifespan of the fish. Should be mindful about this.
    Thanks for the reminder. It is for the very same reason that is why I am bringing out this issue for discussions. I am determine to ensure my fishes have a "good life", yet do not grow too big, if that is possible.

I have been rearing african cichlids for a while, so I am aware of their growth rate and behaviour. My main purpose is aesthetic, but not at the expense of making my fish suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Check which ones your have now, you can't keep those that will grow too big for your tank eventually.
    Trying to limit growth is not a good thing to do, it's quite cruel to force them to stay small.
    As mentioned above, do not intend to torture my fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by cdckjn View Post
    In my opinion, if we have lots if fishes, an over-crowding tank and due to the lack of space, the fishes will not grow so fast. Also because of many fishes, they have to "fight" for food, therefore they will not grow very big, but they will grow to their full-grown size slower. The point here is slower but they will grow give the chance.
    I would like to share something here. I have a 4x1.5x1.5 tank, and my cichlids grow fast and very well. My brother have a 4x2x2 tank, his cichlids is about half my size. Our main difference is fish population. He has 3 times my population. I also fed my fish well and more frequent. But do note that his fishes are well and happy, very little torn fins (common among african cichlids).

I disagree that over-crowding will result in fish growing slow.
    Because, they will end up starting to kill each other. Predator Class. Survival of the fittest.

As the fish god, everyone should be mindful about overcrowding. Can have retribution one.
    As mentioned above, it is common among african cichlids aquarist to overstock in order to curb aggression. Of course, must ensure strong filtration.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I give you my dictionary in my term.

Vege diet: Pellets, micro pellets, flakes, wafer, algae, aquatic plants $1-2 type in LFS (anything).
    Meaty diet: live fish, live bread worm, tubi, frozen blood worm, live blood worm, vinegar worm, etc.

Good life. Hmm...I think slow flowrate use less energy unless the fish is hyperactive, it should do the trick.
    Nope, I still not in favor of overstocking. I do not practise what other practise but what I think is suitable for the fish, otherwise the other party have a lot of convincing to do. Between fish and plant, I think I am a more fishy person. But each of us is entitled to their own views which makes us all unique.

Stormy has a point there, in overcrowding condition, you need to feed more, so fish grow or not? If fish do not have enough to eat, they start killing each other so water condition still good or not? So supposed 100 cichilids start to shi-t in the tank, then your filter can handle it or not. I am not saying these are absolute but pointers you should consider whether viable or not.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Based on your definition, my fishes are definitely on vege diet.

Thanks for your pointers above. Definitely food for thought.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you feed them moderately, their growth will be at a steady rate. Too many fish in a tank can be risky business especially with Rift Lake cichlids, which poop alot.

With sufficient space, superb filtration and diligent maintenance, you can handle the current bioload even though they have a way to go before reaching full grown size. My only concern is that if your rocks are unstable, the cichlids might cause the structure to fail if they are diggers.

Over-crowding is not advisable for reasons already stated. Besides, too many fish in a tank can overwhelm it and make the decorations look insignificant.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yah, they pretty naughty, bang here and there, dig here dig there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast