Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Suitable Substrate for HC

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im very new to the fish keeping hobby and would love to get some advice here.

Ive actually set up a 15G tank but something disastrous happened.

Tank inhabitants :11Cherry Shrimps, 3Male endlers, 1Ramshorn snail, 1Nerite Snail and 4 rummy nose tetra.

There were inititally plants in the tanks however since its the school holidays i decided to rescape the entire tank by adding new plants and i believe they were all killed by the ferts the farm use on the plants. Sadly im only left with the 2 snails hence im positive its the copper poisoning. (Tank was definitely cycled )

Right now im leaving the tank as it is, for the dwarf hairgrass(creeping),stargrass,etc to grow. Im not intending on adding new inhabitants as ive decided i will do a full scale attempt on a 3-4ft tank.

I am thinking of carpeting the tank with HC and was thinking of what substrates to use. I am actually currently using ADA amazonia ll soil but ive heard that the soil has to be change every few years. That can pose to be a problem since i am thinking of using HC to carpet the foreground.

Imagine having to rip off those HC that you have worked so tirelessly in order for them to root and carpet. I don even want to think about doing that every 1-2years. Just thinking of it can be so draining. Therefore are there any other available substrate out there where replacing isnt an issue you have to face ?

HC plants prefer a soft water environment and im aware ADA AS provides that. If im using some other substrate does that mean that i have to manually lower and check the ph of the water every now and then ?

Im open to all advice and opinions so feel free to tell me your experience with HC.

Is there any way around this problem ? i know anyone will hate the fact that they have to do a major rescape and re plant their HC because the ADA AS breaks down and turn into dust. It can really drive you up the wall.

I personally love ADA AS soil for its ph reducing effect and that the soil really gives off a very nice colour in a heavily planted tank.

P.S Im doing an extensive research while saving $$ in the hope of being able to start on the tank by the end of the year. (Long wait...i know)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Suitable Substrate for HC

Get the ADA new amazonia, suppose to be last longer. My personal opinion, ADA soil still the best soil for planted tank.

Regardless what soil brand you use, HC will float by itself after a while. this is happen if the HC grow so thick until the bottom part does not receive light. The bottom part will start to rot and the root of the top part unable to reach the substrate. You might be able to delay it by frequent trimming.

You need to worry about fertilizer instead of mud. It wont suddenly turn to mud unless you frequently disturb the soil.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Get the ADA new amazonia, suppose to be last longer. My personal opinion, ADA soil still the best soil for planted tank.
    What about SeaChem Flourite ? Ive heard that it is also a popular choice and the fact that the description says that it need not be replace is rather tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You need to worry about fertilizer instead of mud.
    Since you have touch on the topic of Ferts, do you mind telling me what is recommended ? Do i have to get base ferts since HC are heavy root feeders? Also what are some ferts which i should be having for a heavily planted tank ?

Could you possibly tell me the product most people use ?

- SeaChem Fluorish and Excel ?
    Ive done a check and there are so many other ferts as well. There are Seachem Fluorish tabs, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium as well. Does buying SeaChem Fluorish alone covers everything ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cant comment on SeaChem Flourite, it look good but I never use them.

Seachem fluorish is typically trace with a bit of N far from enough for plants, unless you dose N separately.

Typically for fertilizer you need macro and micro supplement. Macro mainly N, P and K, micro is other mineral beside those 3. Knowing what your substrate nutrient composition is important to judge when you need to start dosing fert.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/