Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Hiya, Newb here xD

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey, I'm Katie. A few months ago I went to the local pet stores *walmart/petco are the only ones in my area* to look around. I ended up coming home with some fish, 2 from walmart and 4 from petco. They were the only fish left so i felt the need to take them home. I found a 10 gallon tank and set it up. I later did a few hours of research on Google. I found that i had 4 males and 2 females and that I needed to separate them. So i searched around and found another 10gallon tank that was thrown away down the road..cleaned it and stuck the girls in there. Well about a month later she had about 30 babies..so i took and plastic 10 gallon drawer from a storage thing i found in my closet and cleaned it and filled it with water and stuck the babies in there (she was eating them..) And they all lived! they are about a month old now, and I found about 6 newborn babies today, and added them in. Im going to be getting a big tank soon! My uncle found and old one from back in the day LOL! but hey im sure the fry will be happy with tons of more space! Some bad quality videos of the males and females..then the babies. My goals are to get Live plants for all the tanks..im thinking java fern. Then to buy sponge filters for all the tanks...and some more marble/rock things so the other tanks can have some pretty too. The tank im waiting on i think is gonna be over 20gallons..uncle said he thinks its a 30gallon. we will see soon ^^ Also one day i want to start a small guppy sales business and aquatic plants business. with cheap prices and healthy products just what the world needs...
    Last edited by GuppyGirl; 3rd Apr 2012 at 01:09.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: Hiya, Newb here xD

first videos had horrible blur..couldnt find a way to edit those..so ill just re post better . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms-XPHjkc0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN367HhC_B4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4QbUU2ACk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Katie, welcome to AQ. Nice guppies you got there. Just a note, the majority of members on this forum are from Singapore, so from time to time you will see some bewildering terms used in our local slang. I hope it won't confuse you too much.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Thanks for the reply! Singapore..maybe ill learn something from the members then Seems fun ^^

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There's an active guppy scene here, so you might want to have a look in the gallery section where some of our members have posted their own guppy pictures. I don't keep guppies anymore, but prefer their egg-laying cousins, the killifishes.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You may wish to know that here in Singapore, many refer to Guppies as "Say Kia Hee", a term in a local language which means "birth-giving fish" (giving birth).

I have had some old-time experience with Guppies too. Long ago, I used to keep them in a rusty 1-gallon emulsion paint can. When I stirred up the water in the can, it would be clouded thickly with orange-coloured rust and muck. Surprisingly, the guppies bred like nobody's business and I ended up with plenty of young guppies then. Guppies are so undemanding and easy-to-keep fish, at least in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyGirl View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Singapore..maybe ill learn something from the members then Seems fun ^^
    Last edited by tetrakid; 3rd Apr 2012 at 09:56.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

ah thanks everyone I did learn some ^^

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I decided to buy plants for my guppies. I found this site http://www.liveaquaria.com ..anyone bought from there? I'm new to buying plants..so if you have any sites to suggests please do...im looking for newbie plants.. I read online that they require only 2 watts per gallon..could i use a lamps like this?.. at the moment they have 60watt bulbs..is there any specific bulbs i should use? I was thinking i should get a java fern, Anacharis/Egeria densa, Hornwort/Ceratophyllum demursum.

images LAMP.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

you know i found a cabomba plants.. instead of Anacharis/Egeria densa, Hornwort/Ceratophyllum demursum.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Howdy, any pictures GG? It's interesting to hear other aquarist setting up their tank from scratch.

Well, I'm not the expert in plants. Some plants are demanding while others are not, so researching them a must. Maybe some plant expert here will help you with that.

As for this forum being mostly Singaporeans, don't worry, we've had other aquarist from all over. I'm suprised Tom Barr was here too. Some of this guys here are experts and can even tell whether the water from where you are contains too much of something that might not be good for your tank if not treated properly. I love guppies. Still have them in my smaller tank. Left alone, they breed like crazy.

Have fun!
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

my camera is bad quality, but here is some.. the lyre tail spends 85% of his time in the pirate ship..but the orange and yellow chase,swim and play with each other non stop *i cant really take pictures..as they swim to fast*...the black one hangs out with the lyre tail sometimes but he prefers to swim around the plastic plant. Every now and then they all go to the pirate ship together and eat..whatever they think is there, maybe they're just nipping at nothing... The females like to try to eat everything..they randomly nip at the bottom of the tank and the heater..and the plants. But dont worry..i dont thinks its because they're hungry, i feed them a lot..i think they just want guppy fry for snacks.. the females didnt get along at first but they're best friends now. There is a picture of the lamp im going to try and use..i believe i have more in the garage to..my garage is one big mess though. Its filled with all kinds of junk..maybe some useful stuff ... but way to many spiders Video turned out pretty good this time...still learning to use the camera lol x.x

2012-04-03 04-03-53.758.jpg2012-04-03 03-54-03.187.jpg2012-04-03 03-47-54.735.jpg2012-04-03 04-07-14.465.jpg2012-04-03 04-07-38.746.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I really love the tank with the ship, without any substrate. That is my favourite way with all my tanks. For plants, I always use them either potted or mounted on old wood. This way, tank maintenance becomes a breeze, which mainly consists of sucking up poop with a small siphon tube.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Thanks, i think so to. I used to have lots of gravel, but gravel is harder to clean and the guppies dont mind not having any. Also my guppies change colors a bit..like the snakeskin guppy..his patterns and color on his body will fade and 5 minutes later he is as bright as can be...or my female ..she will get a thin dark black line on the bottom of her tail fin.then it will disappear. The orange guppy has orange and yellow spots or patches of color, but sometimes he turns clear for a little bit. The lyre tail does it to..kinda weird, i searched and it seems normal.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My tank for my 'sea hamsters' (Cory Sterbai) also has no gravel, but after a while, a thick layer of unsightly dark green algae grew and covered the tank bottom. Then I bought just two little Golden Algae Eaters, and to my surprise, these little creatures really cleaned up the Algae in the tank in just three days. It's like magic, because with their tiny stomachs, I really wonder how they could do that, lol.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

oh wow i just searched about corydoras a while ago..there are like 300..if not more different types! i kinda want to get some now...but ill probably be overstocked a bit when the guppy fry grow, so i wouldn't dare.. But i would love to have some of those little cuties, i really like the ones that have many different colors..so cute.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Corys as a group are not attractive fish, at least not in the usual sense. They are dull-coloured fish, being bottom dwellers, and a species of catfish. To me, the most 'colourful' being the Adolfois, Lasers and Sterbai. I only keep Sterbais, as they appeal to me most from the start.

Actually I came across Cory Sterbais quite by chance when I was looking for some Ancistrus fish to start a Daphnia culture. Being new to it, I had thought the Corys I bought were Ancistrus fish. Now I know better. But in the process, I came to like the Cory Sterbais because of their behaviour and cute look, which makes me think of them as 'sea hamsters'. I also find them to be most 'rotund' among all Cory species that I know of. I am hooked on Sterbais, really, though they belong to the cheap variety (where I live).

oh wow i just searched about corydoras a while ago..there are like 300..if not more different types! i kinda want to get some now...but ill probably be overstocked a bit when the guppy fry grow, so i wouldn't dare.. But i would love to have some of those little cuties, i really like the ones that have many different colors..so cute.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

well i think they are cute and colorful...but my definition of colorful is 2 or more colors lol ^^ but i like them , my grandpa had some that had black spots on their eyes and sides. They went missing and never showed up again ....strange all the fish in my grandpas aquarium just vanish...I was going to give him some baby guppies since his tank is empty now, but they might go missing to. even his plecos went missing..he doesnt have pets that could eat them, they aren't jumping out..aren't dead anywhere..not in the filter. weird he had this tank set up since he was a teenager..he is 50 years old now..and this is the first time this happened. we thought the other fish was eating them..then it disappeared to..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That is rather interesting. As a mattar of curiosity, are there anyone else, or any pet animal in the house?
    well i think they are cute and colorful...but my definition of colorful is 2 or more colors lol ^^ but i like them , my grandpa had some that had black spots on their eyes and sides. They went missing and never showed up again ....strange all the fish in my grandpas aquarium just vanish...I was going to give him some baby guppies since his tank is empty now, but they might go missing to. even his plecos went missing..he doesnt have pets that could eat them, they aren't jumping out..aren't dead anywhere..not in the filter. weird he had this tank set up since he was a teenager..he is 50 years old now..and this is the first time this happened. we thought the other fish was eating them..then it disappeared to..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

only my grandmother...no other pets that we know about..i thought a stray cat was sneaking in but we would have known..the tank is 60 gallons, and well over a foot deep..so no way...there was some thick bright green algae growing everywhere..cleaned it out got new fish...they vanished. and few weeks later the algae grew back. ohhh i forgot i just ordered my first live plants from liveaquaria
    i was going to get only java then i was like welll im getting a 50 gallon...so i ended up with
    Cabomba Qty:2
    Java Fern Qty:2
    Water Sprite Qty:1
    Micro Sword Qty:1
    Anacharis Qty:1 they should be here on the 5th
    Im hoping they will grow fast and healthy so i can stretch them out everywhere lol...hopefully they will arrive fine..and not tiny and yucky..do i really need to put them in quarantine? i don't think they will have snails and stuff like the ones at the pet store
    Last edited by GuppyGirl; 3rd Apr 2012 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hope you can show us a picture with the plants in your tank when it's done.

By the way, was your grandfather's tank covered, or left uncovered? Just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast