Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

hi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi - I started keeping fish, after my daughter's school asked if she could have goldfish as pets. Three months later, she refused to go back to the school, and she wanted the goldfish at home. I had to do some research on how to keep goldfish. I was shocked to find that a shop had sold her a common goldfish and calico ryukin; and a tank that was far too small.

I bought a 90l tank, as I was not sure they would survive the 2.5 hour journey home. As they got bigger, I got them a 215l tank, with a view to putting the common goldfish in a pond when the water warms up this summer and getting another ryukin to keep the one she has company. (At the moment the fish are in our lounge, and as we have central heating, the water though unheated is room temperature)

When I got the 215 l tank, I put a heater in the 90l tank and started keeping tropical fish.
    Last edited by sukiel; 31st Mar 2012 at 02:52.

Feedback Score
    Country
    France

Re: hi

WELCOME

what kind of tropical fish you want keep in the 90l tank ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Zebra danios, neon tetras, platies, otocinclus. I only want fairly easy, peaceful fish.

I bought three otocinclus a month ago, the last fish. They are very lively in the daytime. I only clean the algae off the front side of the tank, so I can see the fish - when the otocinclus are not eating, they spend their time hanging off the front side of the tank. As it is the cleanest, in terms of algae, I don't see the attraction for them? They eat non-stop - algae, blanched courgette, cucumber and algae wafers. Two have rounded bellies, but the third is bulging. I'm not sure if it is getting really fat or has dropsy. It is still eating though and behaving like the other two. (When I first got them, the two smaller ones were not shy at all from the start, whereas this one the biggest one, spent the first week hanging off the filter or the back corners of the tank. Then it started to come out of itself, and now is just as open as the two smaller ones. They often try to shoal with the zebra danios - is it the similar colouring?

There are no nitrites nor ammonia, nitrates are the lowest level the kit can detect. PH is 7 and water is hard here, but I have put bogwood in the tank to try to soften it; and the tank is well planted.

There is also at least one platy fry, which I first spotted on Wednesday, about the size of an ant. It has grown noticeably since then, although it spends most of its time in the bogwood cave, eating off an algae wafer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi sukiel,

1st off, welcome to the fourm.
    That's a nice size tank you have there

You might want to take out the suspected dropsy patient in another tank. Since it will "hop" to a fellow fish, they will be still eating as per normal but just before dying you'll see they behave sluggishly.

BTW, i know that you guys have "rockwater" in many parts of the states & some hobbyist use DI/RO water to do water change.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks. I asked my LFS for advice on Friday, having seen from what I could find on the internet, that fish often die from dropsy, but felt I needed to try something, rather than just let it die, because they are my favourite fish. They suggested metrodanizole. I've dosed the tank for 3 days as per instructions. The red streaks on the fish's belly have gone and it is eating much more now, than over the weekend. Is this just a temporary remission, before the infection, whatever kills it; or is it getting better?

I wil try to buy a 10 gallon tank today, to use as a hospital tank for now, and maybe later for the platy fry.

The problem I have found with keeping fish is that no sooner have I set up one tank, than I wish I had a bigger and better one! Where does it all end?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@sukiel
    A fish with dropsy is not so easy to recover. It is better to put it to sleep now than to see it die a slow wasting death, not to mention it also takes up a lot of your vaulable time. Already even without such problems, there's really not much time to waste in this hobby.

Using a few drops of clove oil will make the sick fish sleep, and then you can properly follow up with the next steps, and then dispose of it in the recommended manner. Google with "putting a fish to sleep" to find many posts on the topic.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It never ends haha. Until the spouse complains.

Tetrakid is right in some sense if it becomes draggy you'll be just extending it's misery. But I normally let fish live and die on their own, unless I feel it will spread then I will move it to another small tank or end it's life.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If spouses have their way, I haven't the slightest doubt they'll cart and dump everything away in double quick time, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    It never ends haha. Until the spouse complains.

Tetrakid is right in some sense if it becomes draggy you'll be just extending it's misery. But I normally let fish live and die on their own, unless I feel it will spread then I will move it to another small tank or end it's life.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks. I will buy some oil of cloves tomorrow and follow the instructions on the internet, which I have already saved, because I thought it might come to this.

Next problem - trying to catch the two platy fry, so I can put them in a tank on their own, before they get eaten? I don't want to make money from raising them, just try to do it for interest's sake and I don't want to see them get eaten by the others.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

LOL! Apparently this all start with your daughter's school eh? LOL. Look where you are now. You no longer sound like a beginner either. You do know your stuffs.

I have to agree with Felix on this one. I will put it in a seperate tank. Give it a fighting chance.

And you know, those fry, they are going to be big and multiply. Ahh the joy of seeing young ones grow. If its gets too many, 2 options, buy another tank. LOL or you could give it away.

Did I just read you have a pond in your backyard? Check out dustinfishtank on youtube. He has 2 or 3 ponds. Talks a bit about how he did the pond and his routines. He has goldfish and plants in them. DIY!! Think the fella is from texas.

PS: I can't help it. Being that you're in the UK. Man City zzzz...Man Utd gonna win the 20th title!!
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

No, I don't have a pond! Wish we did, so we could put the common goldfish in it, with some friends - our daughter is gutted at the idea of putting him in somebody else's pond. Unfortunately, we can't afford it at the moment - our garden is all clay and stones, and we would need a mini-digger to dig a pond out!

My husband and children all support Man Utd, so can't argue there!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Clay = Good!

I'll use them for the bottom of the tank. break them up into chips. Then cover with aquasoil.

So what's the story? Are you gonna do a new aquarium?
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yes, I plan to get a 10 gallon tank next! I wish I could put my tropical fish in the 215 litre tank, but my daughter loves her goldfish. I can persuade her the common goldfish needs to go in a pond, because really it is a pondfish, but we can't put the ryukin in a pond, so I will have to keep it in the 215 l tank with AN Other.

I buy all Aqua One tanks, because I like the wet trickle filters and they have quite a strong current, and so when I set up a new one, it is easy to swap filter media from one of my existing tanks, to help cycling along.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sukiel View Post
    Yes, I plan to get a 10 gallon tank next! I wish I could put my tropical fish in the 215 litre tank, but my daughter loves her goldfish. I can persuade her the common goldfish needs to go in a pond, because really it is a pondfish, but we can't put the ryukin in a pond, so I will have to keep it in the 215 l tank with AN Other.

I buy all Aqua One tanks, because I like the wet trickle filters and they have quite a strong current, and so when I set up a new one, it is easy to swap filter media from one of my existing tanks, to help cycling along.
    I like goldfish but the problem I used to have with them was my mom. Goldfish are greedy and well, they poop as much as they eat. They seem to care for my mom than me. i clean their tank, I feed them occasionally but yet they respond only to my mom. -_-'' I prefer putting them in a larger aquarium though with a good filter.

Basic rule or guide is 15 gallons per goldfish. They are "dirty" fish. Just like my friend's baby. eat and poop all day long. Well, no harm in 10 gallon. It is just a guide. As long as your goldfish is happy.

If you put it in that 215 litres tank, it'll be more than happy. Ryukin are really nice. I'm sure you make the same face they have while talking to them. My mom did.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used to keep goldfish too before, especially those 'Macho Ranchus'. Previously I put them in an undecorated tank and did frequent 100% water changes, once every day or two. If I want to keep goldfish now, I will prefer to keep them in nice 'green water', which is water with suspended Algae bloom. That's rather unconventional, but it's my preference, since I reckon the water will be well-oxgenated during the day by the Algae in addition to the filter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I used to keep goldfish too before, especially those 'Macho Ranchus'. Previously I put them in an undecorated tank and did frequent 100% water changes, once every day or two. If I want to keep goldfish now, I will prefer to keep them in nice 'green water', which is water with suspended Algae bloom. That's rather unconventional, but it's my preference, since I reckon the water will be well-oxgenated during the day by the Algae in addition to the filter.
    Think i saw that on youtube. Whole tank filled with algae. Water all green. People who don't know jump into conclusion. The goldfish are happy. Its just how we see things. Algae is not some sort of virus; though there is one rare kind that is toxic to fish.

Tetrakid, have you tried growing algae on an entire driftwood? Green algae that is.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have not deliberately cultivated Algae on driftwood, etc. I only like one type of Algae, which is the type I mentioned for 'green water'. Other than that, I will get Algae-eaters to get rid of them. But I like to keep my green water green and healthy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it a good idea to have goldfish grass in the tank too? Not sure if I got the plant name right. Please advice.

I just think that the green colour from the grass and orange from the goldfish makes the tank really vibrant, but I think it is most important for the goldfish to be comfortable with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry for my ignorant. No idea what goldfish grass is.

Normally, when I go to someone's house, doesn't matter young or old, race or what not. I mostly see fish like goldfish, arowana, parrot fish in an empty tank. It would definitely be nice to see some scapping. A simple one perhaps. A bit of sand/gravel. Plastic plants or easy plants. Some rocks perhaps. Just keeping it simple is nice. So if you're asking is it a good idea, I say why not add some colour to your tank.

Just google and go to image. Type goldfish in tank and you see loads of aquarist adding simple scape to make their tank looks nice. goldfish looks happy and you'll be happy.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To me the most beautiful tank is one with a filter but has very green water, but with no algae on the glass. It may sound odd, but it is so nice to see a tankful of healthy green algae. I think fish love algae too. But most people will hate the sight of a green algae-laden tank, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast