Country
    Singapore

Is this plant hornwort?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,
    Is this plant hornwort? I googled and it looks like this. Appears there are a few variants. I bought this from seaview.

C328 also sell something similar but the leaves doesn't seem as flimsy as the ones in seaview.

There are also some that look like hornworts but packed in packets filled with water? Which is the correct nitrate absorber?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333561275.441496.jpg

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is this plant hornwort?

Yes, it is hornwort. If you wish to use them purely for nitrate absorption, you may wish to house them in a satellite breeding tank that is connected to your main water body, so that their leaves will not drop all over your main water body.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If not mistaken,the plant is fanwort,need to see how the plant's leaves open/spreads in water to identify acurately...

Google fanwort's Pictures,their leaves opens up like a fan...

Hornworts are generally spikey but both of them are from the same cabomba family...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, that cambomba plant, Its a highlight plant and it easily break apart

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is a very good aquatic plant. Normally fish would eat this plant as a supplement if they feels hungry and you are not there to feed them.
    In the process, a lot of broken leaves "zip" here and there. For maintainence, you can simply use a small net to chase after the broken leaves, in about 15mins, the tank should be clear. If it floats, it will still live and generate roots, when it is long enough, you can plant it back again.

^^Y I don't even bother the name. I just know it comes from the cambomba family.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hi prodrive,

have a picture of it in water? see below link and judge, i do feel it is cabomba.f

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plan...omba%20furcata
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Fanwort? Hmmm.... I googled. Sure looks like what I have. Complete with the flowers. Hahaha. But is this fanwort as good as hornwort in nitrate sucking?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333733581.223669.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is Cabomba, and very fragile. These are fast growing stem plants, not sure if they're as good as hornworts in sucking out nitrates. In water conditions not to their liking, the leaves will break apart and the whole plant will melt and cause a big mess.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Got the "real" hornwort from c328... I hope. Any one can help me identify if this is hornwort?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334207177.609806.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

...still on the topic huh?

Okay, I take a picture so that you all can better tell the difference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, your picture also looks different from the one I buy. Better print out your picture and go LFS and ask. Hahaha. Like crimewatch looking for missing person. Maybe it's an episode suitable for the noose.

Off topic. Sorry.

Thanks all for the inputs. Back to reading up and researching. My interest currently have shifted from hornwort identification to something that is costlier. Wahahaha.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hornwort produces different look in different conditions. In cooler water with enough nutrients the leaves are closer to each other, thus producing a more compact look. What you have there prodrive is hornwort.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to tell the difference between Cabomba and Hornwort? For laymen, it's not easy to tell.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    How to tell the difference between Cabomba and Hornwort? For laymen, it's not easy to tell.
    Refer my pict. left hornwort, right cabomba. With light, horny will open up, night time close shop become like umbrella closing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can I ask you a question about Anacharis? I have a type which looks like it but its leaves are narrower and more widely spaced than normal Anarcharis. When I bought it, they were very short in a pot. But it grew very long within two days. What plant is that? I want to get rid of it and buy true Anacharis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Refer my pict. left hornwort, right cabomba. With light, horny will open up, night time close shop become like umbrella closing.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There's 3 similar plants to "Anacharis" Ted. I think what we mostly get in the LFS is Hydrilla verticillata or Egeria densa instead of "Anacharis". Not easy to tell them apart I think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hornworts in right conditions , the stem will turn slightly red, the tips too. unless mine is another species lol

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SeVenZ View Post
    hornworts in right conditions , the stem will turn slightly red, the tips too. unless mine is another species lol
    My water a bit yellowish so under LED flash light, plants look yellowish. ^^" The circular thingies all are light reflection. When I first intro them, they looked pretty much like all of yours...closed. After a day or two, it just opened up, then I see the spikes...Ooooo...my main tank is a living area. If plant in a different tank, condition wouldn't be as good. Occasionally must bring over to main tank for a vacation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

SeVenZ, that's a fairly common occurrence too. Thanks for bringing it up. The intensity of the green in the plant differs with condition too. I like those thick greenish and bushy look Hornworts, but in my tank they always have spread out leaves.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    SeVenZ, that's a fairly common occurrence too. Thanks for bringing it up. The intensity of the green in the plant differs with condition too. I like those thick greenish and bushy look Hornworts, but in my tank they always have spread out leaves.
    They close gradually, time taken is 12:20am. Green LED light in motion.
    Photo taken with LED Flash light. Some condensation....Lights out and some are already starting to close up. Like Shadow, I have Twin DIY CO2 with a combine of 5-6bps. This is 3rd week from the last mix and still bubbling hot as I have a different mix from most people. No worries, although the CO2 is producing 24/7, it just means wasted CO2, the fish won't be gasping for air as the next lighting up cycle will take over. I divided the lighting into 2 different segments when light is most weak. That was the time I did not account for photosynthesis cycle but after setting up the timing and it has been good, I just leave it as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast