Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get other types of Danio?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Where can I get other types of Danio?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I really like danio. They are truly very hardy and active fishes always swimming around the tank. I currently have zebra danios and pearl danios. My usual haunts are C328 and polyarts and they seems to carry only glo danio, zebra danio and pearl danio. Do you guys know of any other places that sell other types of danio?

Thanks
    Last edited by Aquaguy; 6th Apr 2012 at 11:41. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where can I get other types of Danio?

Have you tried Seaview? I have not seen other species of Danio for sale at C328 for a very long time. They used to have D. choprai and some other assorted species but of late, only long finned zebra danio and the glofish like you mentioned.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ive not tried seaview yet. But thanks maybe ill go down to seaview and take a look

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

is D. choprai hard to keep ? i bought five before , it didnt even last a week

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Last seen golden and purple danios at Seaview this afternoon.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I never had much issues with my choprai when I last had them. They behave exactly like zebra danios, just need to keep the tank covered. They would bully smaller tank mates but nothing much than a short chase.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    ...just need to keep the tank covered...
    Are all danios "jumpers"? I'd lost quite a few CPD due to this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not all are jumpers but to be safe, a cover should be given. My CPD never jump, they stay close to the bottom lurking and looking for food near the substrate. I've never seen them go up to the surface section of the tank, not even when I put food in the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have some CPD too and i had lost some due to jumping. The CPD is one of my favourite fishes to keep

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fish don't jump. Fast swimmers like Danios, etc are out of the water because they happen swim fast in the wrong direction when near the surface. I lost quite a few Dwarf Rainbow Tetras this way. So the lesson learned is to cover the tank with fast swimmers in it.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Not all are jumpers but to be safe, a cover should be given. My CPD never jump, they stay close to the bottom lurking and looking for food near the substrate. I've never seen them go up to the surface section of the tank, not even when I put food in the tank.
    My CPD goes all over the place, water surface, substrate (to hunt for stray tubifex worms amongst the glosso), out of the tank, etc. What kind of cover are you using?

I may be doing a community tank with some killie fish & of course, my current CPDs, so I "suppose" a cover is a must.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    My CPD goes all over the place, water surface, substrate (to hunt for stray tubifex worms amongst the glosso), out of the tank, etc. What kind of cover are you using?

I may be doing a community tank with some killie fish & of course, my current CPDs, so I "suppose" a cover is a must.

Same with mine, the CPDs are all over the place. But once the lights are out they're all hanging on the surface. In the past I've lost a few due to jumping. I have since put frogbits on all corners & no more incidents after that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaguy View Post
    Hi,

I really like danio. They are truly very hardy and active fishes always swimming around the tank. I currently have zebra danios and pearl danios. My usual haunts are C328 and polyarts and they seems to carry only glo danio, zebra danio and pearl danio. Do you guys know of any other places that sell other types of danio?

Thanks
    Have you tried Wu Hu? Ben has quite an extensive collection of fish. I noticed Danio Choprae & a few other Danios there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Last seen was Danio erythromicron and it was at GC. No idea what happened to that tankful of them after that but there wasn't anyone who's willing to clear tank. I haven't seen anymore Danios other than the ones mentioned.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Re: Where can I get other types of Danio?

Any idea if keeping CPD and clown killie fishes together, is a-okay? Or will both "territorial-ness" wipe each other out?

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Xuan View Post
    ...but there wasn't anyone who's willing to clear tank....
    Huh? what do you mean

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Any idea if keeping CPD and clown killie fishes together, is a-okay? Or will both "territorial-ness" wipe each other out?
    CPD is a mid-bottom dweller and clown killies are more surface oriented. They should be fine. CPD's aggression is intraspecific, so not much harm would be done to the clowns.

Huh? what do you mean
    The number of fishes in the tank remains almost the same when GC still have them in stock, whenever I drop by.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm currently on the lookout for pearl danio, which seem to be much more uncommon than zebra danio.

It seems like there's a regular supply of celestial pearl danio at C328. If they're not in the small cube tanks where the guppies and bettas are located, then they can usually be found in bags left to float in some of the other tanks.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't cover my 4 ft community tank, because it already has a hood, but because of heat buildup, I keep the front cover open. My CPD remain largely at the bottom part of the tank. They form a loose school. If your fish are hanging out at the surface area at night, try to increase oxygenation. They never ever go to the surface, not even during feeding time.

In smaller tanks with a lower depth, I utilise a cover from a piece of plastic mesh. The green mosquito netting is fine, or better still, SS mesh of an appropriate size that is smaller than the width of the CPD.

Fish do jump, when startled, like the hatchetfishes. Killifishes jump out of instinct too. Guppies do this as well. This behaviour is not confined to just Danios, because fish as big as Arowanas will leap out of the water to catch food or to escape from predators.

Pearl Danios are hard to come by. In fact many Danios are hard to come by these days. It's always the usual fare of zebra, leopard, Glofish and those big Devario, which are already uncommon. I want Danio tinwini and Danio kyathit, but to date, I don't think they ever arrived here.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 10th Apr 2012 at 06:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wah! The Danio tinwini looks really nice! I never notice Polyart & C328 has Pearl Danio, only see CPDs there.

Anyway, my CPDs go to the surface for food all the time. I put Hikari micro pellets that floats & these guys will dash to the surface to pick from there.

My tank is facing the main door, so once the light is out they're easily startled when people walk pass by. So the CPDs, along with the Minnows will hang out a the back, above the rotala's tree line (slightly below the water surface). No issue with oxygen as I have night time aeration & all the shrimps are happily foraging at the bottom

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For some reason, my CPD do not like the micro pellets from Hikari. All they snack on is the carnivore pellets from Hikari. They ignore everything else except live foods.

Danio tinwini is beautiful, but so hard to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast