Country
    Singapore

Re: Tale of a Farmer II - Construction of the Fish Rack

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    The creative use of those nylon cable ties is superb, but does not make it look like a 'pro' job.

Another possible way to attach those power strips is to use wooden bases which are the same size as the power strips. Simply screw them into the wood by sandwiching the angle-iron in between the power strip and the wooden base. Then it would be more sturdy than using cable ties to tie them down. And it will look 'pro' too. But sawing the wood into pieces will be tiring though.
    I will use wooden planks if I am doing house kit power circuit. I used to do that when I was 16 years old. I am already fixing people's hdb lighting at 19 years old...no license of course but very low cost so my classmate family appreciated it. Until they moved to another house, they never replace any lightings, they said what I did back then was already suffice and it lasted them till the very last moment.

The white color (yellowish) color are also cable ties...but thinner ones. From the front view of the rack, most of these cable ties are almost not visible. All these cable ties are tied at the back of the rack.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You misunderstood me when I said screw the power strip to wooden bases. The wooden base is for you to get rid of the cable ties. The wooden base acts as a grip to hold the power strip to the angle iron so that you will not need to use any cable ties to tie it down at all. It has nothing to do with those olden SIT house power point bases.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You misunderstood me when I said screw the power strip to wooden bases. The wooden base is for you to get rid of the cable ties. The wooden base acts as a grip to hold the power strip to the angle iron so that you will not need to use any cable ties to tie it down at all. It has nothing to do with those olden SIT house power point bases.
    Like that I use casing better right? lol...no need lah. Cheapo setup.

I saw and saw the pipes and realised...i just ran out of 1 pvc pipe. 1 = 5-6m long. Ha Ha...--" need to get more pipes tomorrow...but it means more rest tonight.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No no, you still misunderstood, lol.
    I don't mean trunking or wire-casing. I mean secure the power strip to the angle iron with screws. Anyway, cable ties are beautiful too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Like that I use casing better right? lol...no need lah. Cheapo setup.

I saw and saw the pipes and realised...i just ran out of 1 pvc pipe. 1 = 5-6m long. Ha Ha...--" need to get more pipes tomorrow...but it means more rest tonight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't mean trunking or wire-casing. I mean secure the power strip to the angle iron with screws. Anyway, cable ties are beautiful too.
    Umm....Oh that...answered previously to Felix. Cable tie is sufficient. No need any more screws. It will firstly make it more work, looks unsightly. At this point, I only hope that the piping itself will not be unsightly. Paint? Hmm....need to get 1 more litre anyway...tomorrow tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually, my concern with this lay out is more so on the electrical output. Having so many sockets, wouldn't it cause a power trip? Did you upgrade your power box?
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mincedmeat View Post
    Actually, my concern with this lay out is more so on the electrical output. Having so many sockets, wouldn't it cause a power trip? Did you upgrade your power box?
    Each room is constructed as a circuit. Air con itself runs on a circuit by itself. This was laid out at time of renovating my house 11 years ago (Year 2000). So power trip is unlikely unless due to thunderstorm. Woodlands is an area which frequently power trip on thunderstorm. As with recent rain, several area have blackout as well, like tampines, thomson, etc. If you have Android, download SG Traffic, it will show you where are the area of blackout and where are the traffic jam. :> Anyway, not all the sockets will be used. 1 6x is dedicated for timer switch.

Even my phone has two dedicated circuit or 8 pair of copper cables. Currently used 2 pairs, 1 pair for phone and 1 pair for my ADSL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyway, cable ties are beautiful too.

VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Keep going Michael. I want to see the final product. It'll give ideas for more projects in future. Only thing is I'm staying away from you. Wait "kena" poison. Hehe
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Keep going Michael. I want to see the final product. It'll give ideas for more projects in future. Only thing is I'm staying away from you. Wait "kena" poison. Hehe
    Psst...I haven't come to rock part yet you know?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

People, when I talk about earthquake, please do not take me lightly.
    30 S'pore buildings in tremor-affected areas inspected
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/sumatra-qua...in-s-pore.html

Massive Indonesia quake triggers tsunami alert
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/quake-tsunami-warning-off-indonesias-sumatra-091955347.html

14hours ago from this postings, an 8.6 magnitude just struck off Indonesia Sumatra area, 431km from Banda Aceh. Please click on the above link for more details.

From my rack, the warning piece didn't fall down, meaning that the rack did not suffer any shock. Once it is weighted down, it would be even more solidly firm. Hence at this phase of construction, I do not have issue with the integrity of the structural support.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anyway, cable ties are beautiful too.
    Cable tie are nice if used correctly, i personally like Velcro straps... maybe due to installing too many UCS/MXE servers this year.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Velcro I would get 1 roll from Beach Road, cheaper that way, can cut to size. But Velcro do not have the holding strength of cable tie.

Today I take a break. Tomorrow night then continue with the air works and water works.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What fish do you intend to keep in this fish wall of yours? Can't wait to see your finished project, lol.
    Velcro I would get 1 roll from Beach Road, cheaper that way, can cut to size. But Velcro do not have the holding strength of cable tie.

Today I take a break. Tomorrow night then continue with the air works and water works.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What fish do you intend to keep in this fish wall of yours? Can't wait to see your finished project, lol.
    Secret! Like that then can poison people mar....ha ha ha ha!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yup. It's not recommended to hold stuff. Rather for keeping excess cable tidy.

I already know how you will be doing the PXX haha.

If sat you go gc I show you something, nice but not practical. You might be able to get it like me since similar industry.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oei felix don't poison him further!! Lol.

Update on project please.
    VSGenesis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Instead of velcro or cable ties, buy those adjustable/reusable cable ties. I got mine from Daiso. Green color meant for gardening purpose. Bought some for Ronnie a long time ago, should still be possible to find those at Daiso or hardware store.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/500..._Tie_Brida.jpg
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That's what i am using alot at home. But i got free ones from office leftovers.
    Sometimes Daiso sells, but they don't stock alot at smaller outlets.

i still find velcro good for bundling loose cables since i use velcro rolls however they cannot hold tightly.
    Ultimately, Micheal has to decide what he wants to use still. If he bought the items already (which i so strongly think so) he can use them 1st and the suggestions he can KIV.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Michael doing planted tank? Oh oh he put arowana ah? Hehe. Bottom can do sump or maybe top? I like. Clap clap clap.

For myself, I just can't wait for the finish product.

Faster update totto man!!!

@ felix, my hand itchy!!! HC doing well!!! LOL!. Foreground plants almost reaching surface. I want to rescape next month!!!! Err...anyone got dead bonsai? LOL!!

@ blue whale, I'm no longer poison to rocks. Now I've mastered mind control. Stay calm, don't come home with rocks everytime I visit lfs. LOL!!
    VSGenesis

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast