Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Re: Beginner Killifish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Everybody will have their favorite beginners Killifish. Firstly you need to decide if you want top spawners, Switch spawners or Peat spawners. In my view top spawners and switch spawners are easier and have a longer life span. My own personal suggestions are Top spawners aphyosemion Striatum, Aphyosemion Winifedae Chromaphyosemion species such as splendepleure or volcanum and Epiplatys Dageti. Switch spawners Fundulopanchax Gardneri (any Population), Fundulopanchax Scheeli and Fundulopanchax marmoratus. If you fancy annuals austrolebias nigripinnis , nothobranchius of species already mentioned by others.

Your first problem is getting stock I suggest join your local Killifish Assocation or a foreign association which offers electronic membership. Eggs of most aphyosemions hatch after 14 to 28 days and these often hatch in post so I suggest start with fish. Fundulopanchax will water hatch or dry (peat) incubate so are more suitable for posting. Annuals I would suggest start from eggs unless sender is relatively local. Fry size on most species are large enough to take newly hatched brine shrimp some nothos in my experience are too small and need infusoria for a few days. Commercial Breeders exist for gardneri, nothos, Epiplatys dageti and clown killifish. Wild fish are exported regularly from nigeria, congo and Indian Sub continent. Many exporters only send males unless special orders are made

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

We have no official association here in Singapore, unlike the BKA, so our only source is basically Aquabid.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

I don't know if it is possible to import fish from Thailand as they do supply females (at a price).

I have seen Killifish on Singapore Fish Farm lists for UK.- currently Australe, Golden Wonder, Striatum, Clown Killifish, Noth Foerschi, Fundulopanchax Filamentosum and gardneri

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not possible unless we are prepared to pay the farms to import them for us. We don't have the luxury of easy cross-border shipments like in the EU from one member state to another.

Those are commonly spawned killies in the farms here, but sourced from elsewhere. The problem is, when they supply to the shops here, we get no females. On the rare occasions that they appear, they are not labelled properly, hence we don't know what species they are. Especially for Notho females.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Nope, you didn't "lucked out" but rather, you got what you paid for!

You might not understand the obsession but it does take lots (now that's an understatement!!) of resources, patience and ill-afford time to get a population going and keeping it just the way it is, without corruption of the code, etc.

When anal killie-keepers do sell part of their stock to recoup funds for new species, the killies are usually sold in pairs or trios and yes, it will come with a price. Yes, they will also hope that you can get them to breed and enjoy the process, so don't fault them for receiving negligible chum change for their dedication.

And until you've walked a mile in their shoes, you'll never know the sacrifices and trade-offs they've made, just so that YOU can have pretty killies in your tank!!
    Yes, I do realize the hardship and dedication in breed them killies But don't get me wrong when I say luck it out! haha, What I meant was that I've been trying to find him a female partner every chance I could at LFS. And I've to let lady luck shine on me to find one! This guy has been eating really well, but seems to only eat freeze dried worms. He just spits out the pellets and other food that I also feed him with

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

With Nothos, you can use FBW or live foods. They seldom take pellets and other foods. I don't think you'll be able to find a female for him. Last few killie bags at C328 did not contain any females, just young males of guentheri and flammicomantis. Last few times they had random females, they weren't fed and languished in the bags for days. There was N. rachovii females at one time I think but they were in bad shape.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yea thats what i realised after making trips around our lfs. The only females i saw was clown killies at petmart. Thanks stormhawk! Yea he really loves his FBW!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

One thing with FBW is this. Make sure they are fully thawed. If they eat cold stuff, they get sick. That's why FBW should not be used as a primary diet. The biggest issue with Nothos is that they have extremely high metabolism. Hence the need for high protein foods. If you can, start a culture of grindal worms, or compost worms. Anything high in protein should be present in their diet.

Another thing to take note of is to keep them in alkaline water. Some people advocate adding salt to their water to stave off velvet, but from what I experienced, keeping them in alkaline water helps as well.

http://users.telenet.be/marc.bellema...comantis_E.htm <-- page with valuable info on this species.

From the article, pH was 7.43 in the ponds they were found at Kwaraza, 7.58 at Kisaki. The ones we have from the farms are probably from the Kisaki population.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 18th Apr 2012 at 08:35.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    One thing with FBW is this. Make sure they are fully thawed. If they eat cold stuff, they get sick. That's why FBW should not be used as a primary diet. The biggest issue with Nothos is that they have extremely high metabolism. Hence the need for high protein foods. If you can, start a culture of grindal worms, or compost worms. Anything high in protein should be present in their diet.

Another thing to take note of is to keep them in alkaline water. Some people advocate adding salt to their water to stave off velvet, but from what I experienced, keeping them in alkaline water helps as well.

http://users.telenet.be/marc.bellema...comantis_E.htm <-- page with valuable info on this species.

From the article, pH was 7.43 in the ponds they were found at Kwaraza, 7.58 at Kisaki. The ones we have from the farms are probably from the Kisaki population.
    Thanks! I'm also feeding it Freeze Dried Larvae by AZOO, he seems to love it as well Will check my PH tomorrow, should be in the high 7's with all the rocks, and my tap water is about PH 7.8-8 , treated by BW Cleanse.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    I might be getting N. flammicomantis eggs but no promises.
    Are they easy to keep? If so do let me know if i can get some eggs as well. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Will do, but I have to ask the sellers if it's possible to do a group order. N. flammicomantis is like N. korthausae in behavior. I don't think the fry are huge so initially some microworms might be good.

Incubation time for N. flammicomantis at 24-25 deg C is roughly 2-3 months. In our climate and typical room temperature of 28 deg C, the eggs should be ready to hatch within 2 months.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

can anyone advise me where to get female killi?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sometimes C328 has female killies for sale, but what species they are is unknown since there is no label on the bags. If you purchased a random male from a local LFS, it will be hard to pair it up with the correct female, unless they are recognisable like females of A. australe or Fp. gardneri. There are pairs of Fp. nigerianus Innidere for sale at Green Chapter, if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chuakboon View Post
    can anyone advise me where to get female killi?
    What species of males do you have at the moment? Like what stormhawk has mentioned, if you want the good stuff to seriously kickstart on killifish keeping, Green Chapter would be a better bet, for now.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

any place to get killi eggs???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aquabid is your best bet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chuakboon View Post
    any place to get killi eggs???
    Have you consider getting live fishes instead of eggs? Cause in my opinion, I find the whole egg saga a little too much for me as on one hand I am seriously anxious in seeing some fries from the package but on the other, I have this fear that I may be punked by the seller in trying to harvest fries from just an empty patch of peat.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Most of us here would like to obtain live fishes, if possible. Unfortunately, it can only be possible if the order is ample and have them shipped to an approved LFS. I lost a lot of eggs recently and am left with a a couple of packets of clear eggs from Hypsolebias auratus and Nothobranchius spec. Nyando River.

Due to a lack of time, I am thinking of keeping only a couple/trio of non-annuals instead.
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 10th Jul 2012 at 18:57.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i think your best bet on getting a female killi for the annual species, is if you find someone locally, who is hatching them out and has females to spare...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12