61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hunger Games

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone actually read the book? i watched the movie. i am totally awe by the characters

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hunger Games

I'm intending to buy the books the next time I head down to Kinokuniya. I heard that books 2 and 3 are even more riveting

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Read the e-book version of the three. Although the movie was interesting, the treatment was superficial compared to the novel which went into the thoughts behind the actions of the protagonist, Katnis. There are audio-book versions of the three. Yes, I thought 2 and 3 are even better. Wiki "hunger games" and read summaries of the plots (if you are not the sort that feel it would lessen your enjoyment of the books).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For all 3 books, I simply couldn't stop reading until I had finished. They were really that riveting.

The movie really glosses over and rushes through a lot of the details in the story. It's all told from Katniss' point of view, so you end up inferring and understanding a lot of information through her thoughts and from what others say to her. What I found especially interesting was the way Katniss had to face the possibility that if she survived long enough, she would probably have to kill Peeta and Rue (at least she didn't have to do that in the end).

There are also a number of differences in the movie. For example, the mockingjay pin wasn't bought at the market; it was given to Katniss by her friend Madge (a character not portrayed in the movie). It turned out that the pin was previously owned by Madge's aunt, who died as a tribute in a previous Hunger Games (together with Haymitch). Haymitch is portrayed as a nearly completely useless drunk, which is sad because you eventually understand this is how he copes with the trauma from his own time as a tribute in the Hunger Games, the pain of what the Capitol did to his loved ones (won't spoil anything), and how he has to send young kids to their deaths every year.

District 11 didn't revolt in the first book when Rue died; Cato's death by the animals was even more gruesome, and in the book, the 'dogs' were actually genetically engineered to resemble the dead tributes in terms of eye colour and size, so as to further traumatise the surviving tributes. Peeta was badly wounded in the fight with Cato and the 'dogs' and would have died eventually, leaving Katniss as the winner, but she chose to save him as well. There were more gifts from sponsors in the book, and you get to read about Katniss' train of thought and realise that she and Haymitch are actually very similar in the way they think. Oh, and in the book, Katniss actually receives a bottle of cough syrup from the sponsors, and uses it to drug Peeta so that he can't stop her from running to the Feast and grabbing the medicine he needed for his wound.

There are some small details in the movie that you understand better once you read the book; for example, Katniss and Prim's father was killed in an explosion in the mines (you see that implied in the hallucination sequence in the movie), and the shock caused their mother to become catatonic and stop functioning for a while. They almost starved at that time. Which is why Katniss was reminding her mother not to let it happen again when they were sending her off to the Capitol. When Katniss was starving several years back, she was going around trying to sell things from door to door. Peeta's mother turned her away, but Peeta saw and deliberately dropped the bread into the fire, which was why his mother sent him out to toss it to the pigs, giving him the chance to give some bread to Katniss. You learn that the Capitol created genetically engineered creatures (like the tracker jacker wasps) as weapons against the districts during the uprising. The mockingjay bird (the one that imitates the peoples' whistling) is actually a hybrid created when genetically engineered birds called jabberjays (that could remember and repeat human conversation and were used as spies) were released by the Capitol, and bred with wild mockingbirds.

I highly recommend that you read the books. If there's one complaint though, the conclusion to the entire series does feel a little rushed.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh my god. thanks for the info. you have helped to sell some books~!