Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Non Aquatic Pix: Botanical Garden (CNY eve)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Non Aquatic Pix: Botanical Garden (CNY eve)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Happy Lunar New Year and knock yourself out tonight

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the black and white bird is a songbird known as the magpie robin. This used to be one of the most common birds in Singapore, and renown for its melodious singing, until the mynahs were introduced. Now it's restricted to more heavily wooded areas which mynahs do not penetrate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There was an article about this bird in the Straits Times. Some illegal poaching going on here.

By the way, I like the second picture of the magpie robin. This is definitely a keeper since the bird is rare here.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The magpie robin, also called the Sharma (if memory serves lah), commands a high price because of its singing ability and also rarity here. But in Taman Negara in Malaysia, you can lie under the big rainforest trees and listen to an army of this guys singing (no doubt competing) for the favours of the gers. very relaxing experience.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ohhhh... thanks for the ID... was scouting for insects to shoot when I saw him hanging out on a branch 10m away.. manage to creep slowly toward for the shot :P I can't believe the things I do these days just to get a shot . That includings going on all fours and even leopard crawl towards a butterfly

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:50718e3c9a="Simon"]Ohhhh... thanks for the ID... was scouting for insects to shoot when I saw him hanging out on a branch 10m away.. manage to creep slowly toward for the shot :P I can't believe the things I do these days just to get a shot . That includings going on all fours and even leopard crawl towards a butterfly [/quote:50718e3c9a]

now you appreciate your encek last time make you semulah 20 times or not? hah
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL... Noooooo.. But I appreciates things around me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d3f3dc7a65="Simon"]LOL... Noooooo.. But I appreciates things around me [/quote:d3f3dc7a65]
    Good photographers tends to develop a greater sense of awareness and appreciation for the beauty around them. I'm glad you're becoming passionate in photography.

Just some suggestions for improvement.

Get up early to take the grasshoppers. There'll be sparkling sight of morning dew surronding itself and the leaves, making the shots more interesting. Also, increase your DOF to provide your subject with enough detail and sharpness. Use flash if you need to.

Butterfly: Avoid harsh shadow cast on it.

Flower: Avoid blue color cast, usually happens under shaded/cloudy area. Filter/Flash could be used to compensate.

Bird: Give a fill-in flash to the bird, to brighten up the subject and give a darker background.

Last image: Nice show of texture for the wing! Get right down to the floor level if possible, to give a more interesting view of perspective.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f33e690b31="naturetan"][quote:f33e690b31="Simon"]LOL... Noooooo.. But I appreciates things around me [/quote:f33e690b31]

Get up early to take the grasshoppers. There'll be sparkling sight of morning dew surronding itself and the leaves, making the shots more interesting. Also, increase your DOF to provide your subject with enough detail and sharpness. Use flash if you need to.

Butterfly: Avoid harsh shadow cast on it.

[/quote:f33e690b31]

Good idea, anyone keen to go SBG tomorrow at 7am ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    rain forecasted for the next couple of days

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a few more from today (when its not raining, I'm in the library , manage to reach SBg before 6pm)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0c898ede="hwchoy"]rain forecasted for the next couple of days [/quote:0c898ede]
    Especially the raining seasons, watch out for blooming colors of mushroom, ranging from blue, red, orange, purple, etc to white/brown.
    They're very beautiful, some displaying arrays of spectacular patterns. Have a great time shooting them too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what about fungi fresh from the rain.. always fascinating.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f078d876b1="loupgarou"]what about fungi fresh from the rain.. always fascinating.[/quote:f078d876b1]
    Yes, they're when freshly blooming. Will usually wither within few days, especially those soft types, so got to be quite regular there. Usually the surface for bigger ones are quite reflective when wet, so lighting has to be rather well-controlled.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well if you wake-up late, can bring along a water atomiser, those that your mom uses to iron the clothes. spray the fungi before taking the pics and convince everyone you got up at 0600

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Not necessary you've to be early for this case. They can be taken whether wet or dry, as long as it's fresh is the best. Got to be regular there after several days of heavy rain if really want to find colorful fresh variety. They don't last long. Sometimes, dry is better since less reflection, and sometimes I took it during the late noon when sun is high. Diffuse light (eg. from the forest floor) works best.

Will consider sharing some images when I've more time to design my portfolio website months later. The images somehow just doesn't look as stunning as the original, despite attempt made for digital adjustment. Too bad, couldn't afford a high quality slide scanner.