3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

More EI Questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. I had recently read an interesting article of the upkeep, with fertilizing regime, for a low-tech tank at

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/

The article advocates an EI fertilizing once or twice per week for a 20 gallon tank as follow:

1/4 Teaspoon of Seachem Equilibrium (for traces and Calcium + Magnesium). (1.42 ppm Ca, 0.42 ppm Mg, 3.43 ppm K and 0.02 ppm Fe)

1/8 Teaspoon of KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) (5.27 ppm NO3 and 3.32 ppm K)

1/32 Teaspoon of KH2PO4 (Potassium Mono Phosphate) (1.61 ppm PO4 and 0.66 ppm K)

As potassium nitrate is prohibited in Singapore, I'm looking at using calcium nitrate and potassium sulfate as substitutes.

Can anyone advice on how much calcium nitrate and potassium sulfate I would have to add to achieve the same ppm of NO3 and K as stated above?

Many thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: More EI Questions

I am using Ca(NO3)2 *double dose to achieve KNO3 dosage, KH2PO4, K2SO4 & equilibrium. Actually if you want to know more, you can read up shadow blog which has a fert calculator
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unable to find Robert's calculator but managed to find another online calculator, http://calc.petalphile.com/, which is really useful.

I would have to dose 500mg of Ca(NO3)2 and 369mg of K2SO4 to replace KNO3 for the NO3 and K respectively. Now the next question, how to measure milligrams?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Use online convertor. You can buy those teaspoon which got state in gram from those japan home shops etc to measure them.
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is not easy to do. low tech with fertilizing is like walking around with alot of cash waiting for things to happen

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Every gram of Calcium Nitrate dissolved in 100L of water will yield 5.25ppm of nitrate.
    Every gram of Potassium Sulphate dissolved in 100L of water will yield 2.24ppm of potassium.

To achieve your desired ppm, just use the above to calculate. Note however, that you'll be adding quite a fair bit of sulphate into the tank.
    Note also, that you should not dose these 2 ferts together or try to premix them. It'll produce alot of precipitates and cause clouding in the tank.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you guys. I'm now dosing K2HPO4 for PO4, K2SO4 for K and Seachem Nitrogen for N. Trace elements are dosed via Seachem Equilibrium. I just realised i am dosing for a target and not EI. The dosing amount I am targetting is from Tom Barr's recommendation so I guess it should work out fine

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tom Barr is the father of EI
    If you truly follow Tom's guidance you would note he recommends a range +/- no need to be that precise. That is the heart of the EI method.